Guest viewing is limited

TKR 8 weeks post TKR

Update on physio, managed 110 bend and 0 straight, she is happy with this only issue I am having is tightness in the hamstring muscles this is preventing any more bend, have to check with consultant on Wednesday to check it's not damage and just through lack of use.
 
have to check with consultant on Wednesday to check it's not damage and just through lack of use.
At only 3 months post op you are 25% healed, and still have a lot of healing to do, I doubt it’s lack of use.

Stiffness/Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue has been disturbed and is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.
 
Three months to date since your procedure. Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you visit with the consultant yesterday went well. Please let us know when you have time.
Have a great rest of the week, Steve! :wave:
@Steveg63
 
Just returned from Consultant appointment, he is very happy with progress, leg is straight and bend 110, more work to be done on quads to build them up, given the all clear to start small weights for leg work and even better news ok to start golf again.

Feeling happy with my progress, over the aches and pains I had over the weekend, I know there will be 'down times' so will be enjoying the 'good times'.

Happy Wednesday all
 
Wonderful update! Thanks for sharing. It's so encouraging to get a nod of approval. Puts a smile on your face and some pep in your step. :wink: Enjoy your time on the links!
@Steveg63
 
Hi Seve,

I am 14 weeks in post knee surgery. I had to go back in at week 8 for manipulation because of limited bend. They bent it 110 degrees under anesthetic and the very next day with the physio the best we got was 78 degrees.
Can't do much with it at all, walking in the pool, light stretching, massage and hot / cold treatment. My next option is laser or shock wave treatment at 6 months. I have been told it's a bad case of scar tissue and can't do much for it, only time.

Regards,
Stewart
Perth Western Australia
 
#Stewart, sorry to hear your story so far, it's a frustrating time.
I am 13 weeks now and managed 110 bend, with some help, can climb stairs and decend them (not very manly though), I found 2 exercises have helped me the most,
Sitting on a high stool and letting the leg hang then gently swing back and forth.
Laying stomach down on bed and my wife gently bending the leg up towards my bum 3 times and 3 times a day , these seem to have helped in easing the scar tissue, also bought a cheap tense machine of Amazon, can use for massage, stimulation and pain, found this helps on the scar tissue and stimulating the quads.
Hope it works out for you, keep strong.
 
Last edited:
Good morning, I had the mua about 22 hours ago; update below but Steve I would love to get to 105 ‘cold’ reading as one of my therapist (25 years experience) said he often sees that as a point that allows the patient to really start moving foward at a Faster pace.

i don’t know what range my surgeon was able to achieve during the mua yesterday
but from a pain standpoint I feel much better than I was expecting. If you recall my rom was stuck at about 95 cold at 6-7 weeks and I pushed myself really hard one day and set myself back. Bad swelling and stiffness, felt like I was back to about 2 weeks post surgery. Was back on sofa, no pt, no exercises for last 9 days. i received a steroid shot during the mua and woke up very sore on inside area of leg, from mid calf to about mid thigh. Nurse gave me 2 gabepentin and a Tylenol about an hour before procedure But woke up and needed something stronger. They gave me
a 5 mg Percocet which relieved the pain completely. Came home very stiff but noticed the swelling was somewhat better ( shot or mua? Do not yet know).
Took another Percocet/tylenol pill and went to pt 6 hours after waking up and started with cold 80 degree mua, so I’d lost about 15-17 degrees from my previous ‘best’ rom.
did new gentle bending exercise at pt and 15 minutes later it was 90. a little later it was 92 after more gentle exercise. Woke up today, no pain, looser knee, swelling still improving. No bruising, which was a pleasant surprise.
going to pt again today, 4 days next week and probably 4-5 days following Week. I’m feeling very hopeful. im so glad this forum exists! it provides a wonderful service.
 
That's good news, hopefully it will wotk out for you, keep us updated.

I am away on a short break, took a 2hr flight to some sunshine and warmth, unlike the UK.
Having a bad day, calf and hamstring muscles very tight, to the point of having to limp when walking....so much for the heat!
 
What about some light massage? Hope the pain eases and you enjoy your vacay!
Safe travels! :SUNsmile:
@Steveg63
 
Back from Sunny Spain, nice few days in the sun.
Tried the pool on a couple of occasions but seemed quite strange with the small increase of pressure, found it very difficult to even attempt to swim so just walked in the shallow end.
My calf and hamstring still very tight, massage seemed to ease the tightness but as soon as I walk it's back, is this normal, 15 weeks post op tomorrow?
 
Well week 15 post op starts today, feel I have regressed over the past 2 weeks, rom is certainly not what it was, can back this up with the fact I can't climb the stairs foot over foot, back to 1 step at a time.
The 'steel band' under the knee is as bad as ever, this restricts bend, tightness on outside of knee along with the calf and hamstring tight and pulling on the joint when trying to bend, don't think I could do my 2 mile walk anymore, really bad time!
It's been a struggle since Sept 23, lost my driving licence due to failing the DVLC field vision test due to suffering from Retinitis pigmentosa ( side effect is loss of peripheral vision), RTKN in Feb 24 now 15 weeks later can't ride my bike, struggle walking any distance...head is a bit all over the place, sorry for the moan!
 
Moaning is allowed, no worries or apologies necessary. You are less than 3.5 months into recovery and I'm sure brighter days are on the way. Slowly, but surely you'll get there, so hang tight!
Happy Monday...I hope you have a good week! :SUNsmile:
@Steveg63
 
Well 16 weeks yesterday and marked that with my 1st round of golf, 18 holes, since the op. Went round in a buggy but still managed 11000 steps, was a little tired when finished but what a great feeling to be able to do something that you did prior.
No aches, pains or swelling today, just the usual tight band under the knee and ligament tightness behind the knee.
Did physio on Monday and managed 110 bend, still not at 120 so still can't quite ride my bike, but nearly there.
 
Wonderful news, Steve, you completed a round of golf!
You're doing great. Enjoy the rest of the week! :)
@Steveg63
 
18 weeks post op yesterday. Although feeling OK with my decision to have the op I am feeling down with the fact I still can't ride my bike! I did think that by this time I would be more mobile and not have to rely on friends and my wife to get me round everywhere.
I don't drive anymore due to restricted sight, had my licence revoked so no car, my wife still works in our business so she is busy.

I manage to walk couple of miles with no issues, still having pt but that will be coming to an end as she believes not much more she can do, my bend seems to be stuck at 100degree, can achieve this without pain but anything above that gives pain in 3 areas, inside knee, outside and at rear.
Walk upstairs ok holding the bannister, coming downstairs happens now and again but not an attractive sight!

The real big negative is the fact I can't make a rotation on my electric bike so are restricted on my day to day movements as I can't use it.

It's very disappointing and starting too effect my mental well being, get very depressed quite easily and its a struggle not to take it out on my wife when I know it's not her fault and she has helped me to this point, but she along with my friends have not been through this....very stressful!

Well that's enough whining from.me, hope everyone has a good day/week.
 
manage to walk couple of miles with no issues, still having pt but that will be coming to an end as she believes not much more she can do, my bend seems to be stuck at 100degree, can achieve this without pain but anything above that gives pain in 3 areas, inside knee, outside and at rear
Sorry you are disappointed so far. I don't think you should give up though.
Have you tried pilates? My teacher has loads of free videos on YouTube. Google Katja pilates and they come up.
I used her side lying post injury glute strengthening one mainly. But there are a huge variety from gentle stretch ones to some harder ones. The stretch ones might help with the bend.
 
This recovery does take an average of a year, which means less for some people and more for some people. I was in the more category. I had a tough first year but I had a lot of improvement in my second year. There’s nothing we can do about the speed of our recovery. I really think you will continue to see an increase in ROM as time goes on.

Well 16 weeks yesterday and marked that with my 1st round of golf, 18 holes, since the op. Went round in a buggy but still managed 11000 steps, was a little tired when finished but what a great feeling to be able to do something that you did prior.
This is great! Try to concentrate on the positive and try to be patient with the negative. You’re not even halfway through this healing process. You’ll get there!
 
A good point was made..as we set goals of what are ROM should be or what we hope it to be.
Like myself I'm not sure what my ROM was before ,having the knee being in a bad state for years . One knows there limits & never pushes past pain.
So we have to be pleased with any progression no matter how little...sometimes the mental block is what we need to push past.
 
manage to walk couple of miles with no issues, still having pt but that will be coming to an end as she believes not much more she can do, my bend seems to be stuck at 100degree, can achieve this without pain but anything above that gives pain in 3 areas, inside knee, outside and at rear
Sorry you are disappointed so far. I don't think you should give up though.
Have you tried pilates? My teacher has loads of free videos on YouTube. Google Katja pilates and they come up.
I used her side lying post injury glute strengthening one mainly. But there are a huge variety from gentle stretch ones to some harder ones. The stretch ones might help with the bend.
I'm checking out Katja's youtube channel as we speak. I've been told not to kneel at all but it looks like she has plenty that don't involve pressure on the knees.

@Steveg63 thank you for sharing your recovery ups and downs. I can't imagine walking 11,000 steps! I got very grumpy by the end of the day yesterday (I am 8 weeks out) after a few major Olympic events :rotfl: like watering the garden a bit and emptying the dishwasher, even with several rests/catnaps interspersed. On the other hand, my husband drove me to pick something up. He had to park a few storefronts away and I zipped in to the shop. I didn't realize I'd forgotten my cane until I was on my way back, and realized I didn't really need it for such a short stint. So that was a milestone!

All these other health factors (and life factors, too, like things breaking around the house that need to be dealt with) are complications and can take a lot out of us when we're already susceptible because of years of pain followed by the challenges/trauma of major surgery. Take care and look after yourself and your carer :)
 
Back
Top Bottom