Guest viewing is limited

TKR 8 weeks lots of pain<

Thanks Paula I was wondering if this could bother the stomach. Ice, rest seems to be the over all best thing.
 
I am at 4 months now and my knee is so stiff when I first get up to walk. There is always pain and the out side is numb. I feel like I have a weight tight to my leg. I am not sleeping much as the pain is keeping me awake. Not sure if this is all normal. I do a mile walk very other day, heel sides and then just life like food shopping, cooking, taking care of the house stuff. I ice three times a day and elevate. Just so much run down. I sure am hoping this is going to get better soon. Am I doing anything that is making this worse?
 
Hi Mylow -- I don't know if there is anything particular you are doing but you are not alone. I will be 15 weeks next Tuesday and I still have a lot of stiffness when I get up after any amount of time either sitting or lying down. I've heard from others on this site that it is quite normal and expected to last for several months. I also have a large numb spot on the outside of my knee which is also quite normal and can last for up to a year or more. Depending on the swelling and discomfort, good sleep can be elusive. For me, I had increased swelling and discomfort this week due to two things - I had a therapeutic massage earlier in the week, and I also had increased standing time due to some work obligations this week -- both have contributed to my lack of progress. I find a mile walk at one time still pretty tiring at this point in my recovery. This recovery is long, draining, and nonlinear -- hang in there!:flwrysmile:
 
I'm about a month ahead of you and that all sounds just like me! I'm just starting to sleep again but that has only been in the last week or so.

I am always stiff in the morning and have all sorts of pains that seem to move from place to place. However, I find I do much better now if I keep moving throughout the day. Just sitting makes me very stiff and achy. But there is a fine line between doing too little and doing too much.

The whole top part of my knee is still numb. I fact I had numb spots from my PKR 6 years ago that never went away and I had them going into this surgery. I'm planning on having some numb spots for the rest of my life. I figure if that's the worst I end up with at the end of all this so be it.

Doesn't sound like you are doing anything to exacerbate things it's just all part of the year or more recovery time. Hang in there!
 
hi my low...my surgery was the day after yours. i still have a numb spot on the left (outside) of my knee. i think i hurt it 2 weeks ago doing one of the home exercises where you balance on one leg, lifting the other out to the side and the opposite arm lifted and vice versa. i was able to hold it for 15 seconds, quite proud, but the next day and for the next 2 weeks, still today, i have this pain on the outside of my knee going down almost to my ankle. it's taking a long time to subside, so i haven't been doing any exercises other than a few heel slides, stair lunges and everyday easy chores, no balancing. a mile long walk might be too much for you at the moment, although you probably don't notice, except for the pain and discomfort ~ could be from too much walking; i don't know. i still have swelling also and very stiff and painful knee when i get up from sitting ~ takes a minute to stand up straight and walk. i have no trouble sleeping at night ~ no medication. we do have a few similarities in our recovery and differences. one thing for certain is that every little hurt or overdoing it takes a long time to heal. hope you can get some extra rest and a good sleep.:console2:
 
I think the stiffness when you first get up can linger for a long, long time. One explanation is that, because you have been sitting or lying still, your knee has not been making the synovial fluid that lubricates the joint, so it's a bit like a rusty hinge. After a few steps, your knee is lubricated again and that stiffness wears off.

By the time you get to 4 months post-op, you don't need to still be dong knee exercises. The ordinary activities of daily living become your PT.
 
Thank everyone for the replays. I find not only is there the up and down with the knee but there also the up and down with the emotions. But helps a great deal to here from all of you, it makes me feel normal in not such a normal situation.
 
I didn't even get into my emotional ups and downs for the past 5.5 months. Totally normal!!

:bawl:
 
Hi @mylow. I am 7 months out from bilateral total knee. I have really only had some relief from the stiffness getting up in the past few weeks. If I have had a busy day and sit in the evening to watch TV for a time they are still a bit stiff getting up.
But I can tell you that on the whole my life has turned around. I now walk without a limp and little pain. My work involves 12-15000 steps a day and I can do that with few issues (apart from end of day stiffness when I stop). My knee feels tight at the end of he day so still swelling a little but that's ok.
I have a been a slow recoverer but I am happy I am well on my way. MY OS has always said 18 months, even 2 years til you get as good and you'll be.
 
Thank for your sharing as it hard looking down the tunnel wondering if there is going to be some light at the end. This is a very long recovery and I know for myself I heard those words, but really did not understand what recovery truly is and how long this will take. If it was not for this site I would be very worried about what was going on with me if this normally or is there a problem.
 
mylow, it was nine weeks ago I asked you my questions.
Can I ask them again to see if I can offer more current advice?
 
@DebM I don't think you have been a slow recovering at all. With that many steps, sounds like you are a superstar.

Mylow, I agree, if it was not for BoneSmart, I would have been calling my OS office with questions and concerns and they may have gotten tired of hearing from me. This is just such a slow/long recovery - I knew it going in, but I think I had some expectations which I've had to throw out the window!
 
Sure Josephine you can ask me question.

Jaschembra, I knew as well that it was a year recovery, but I was not prepared for the pain and really the slow going of recovery. Just had my doctor visit and he said I was doing great and to hang in there it will get better over the next few months. I am happy I found this site it really has helped me so much.:happydance:

I am going up and down the stairs now, with some pain. I can do most everything, but by the late afternoon I am very tired. I am back driving the car, which is always good. Get up and the first few steps hurt, the I am ok. Sleep at night is still hit and miss, good sometimes and not so good other times.:swoon:
 
Sure Josephine you can ask me question.
Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?


4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom