Guest viewing is limited

THR 8 weeks after THR thigh pain when walking

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Bessie and @Josephine, thank you for your response, thank you for your concern and I do appreciate your input. I will heed your advice accordingly. ....I'll let ya know if I am able to drive yet......thank you again, be well....
 
@Bessie2, what do you mean by massaging the scar tissue? Thank you for your input, be well....
 
There is an ongoing myth in some places and people that scars have to be massaged with lotions and potions and stuff in order to heal properly.
All nonsense, of course. Our bodies are perfectly capable of making nice scars all on their own and need no assistance from us! :snork:
 
@Josephine, that sounds good enough for me, again I really appreciate your input!! Thank you...oh, and speaking of scars, you should see my appendectomy scar from 1969...yee-hah...its a do-zee!!!
 
I am in week 10 and had been getting some stiffness in my right calf of my THR leg over the last couple of days. I went out for dinner with friends last night for the first time and sat for about 4 hours. I could hardly walk when I got out of the car. This really scared me. The worst stiffness was my knee and above my knee. I also tore my meniscus around week 4.

I should add that on Friday, I went to PT and some step up and down exercises to focus on strengthening my knee and walked on treadmill for 15 min and sit down stepper for 15 min. I felt ok when I left, had a 10 min ride home and could hardly walk when I went to get out of car. Had pain located at top of my hip behind the incision/groin. I applied ice on and off for the day and have not done any exercises this weekend. Not sure if the stiffening in these two days are related or just part of the post op things that happen. Any input would be appreciated.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Bessie 2. Sounds like the pain could be due to the PT and sitting for 4 hours. I'm 4.5 months post op and still get pain and stiffness in my knee (which I didn't have pre op) after sitting and exercise. My physio said could last up to a year......sorry!! But it us nothing like pre op pain so can put up with it. He also says a lot of it is due to the muscles/ tendons not being used properly in my pre op gait . Hope you have good weekend.....love Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks for sharing, I did not have a good gait pre op, I had bone rubbing on bone and limped. I believe that all contributed to my weak knee that lead to the tear in the meniscus. Enjoy your day. Hugs,
 
I am in week 10 and had been getting some stiffness in my right calf of my THR leg over the last couple of days. I also tore my meniscus around week 4.
Is this the same knee as THR?
Saturday sat for about 4 hours. I could hardly walk when I got out of the car. This really scared me. Friday, I went to PT and some step up and down exercises to focus on strengthening my knee and walked on treadmill for 15 min and sit down stepper for 15 min. I felt ok when I left, had a 10 min ride home and could hardly walk when I went to get out of car. Had pain located at top of my hip behind the incision/groin. Not sure if the stiffening in these two days are related or just part of the post op things that happen.
You couldn't walk why - because of the knee, the hip or both? And which knee was being "strengthened"?
 
This is my right knee and I had a right THR.
Friday, I had a hard time walking after getting out of car from PT the Hip Incision area hurt.
Saturday when I got home from dinner I had a hard time walking my right knee and about 4" - 5" above knee were tight. The right knee is being strengthened also OS indicated that PT should work on patella alignment.
 
I see. Not a lot I can say about that then. Seems you have a double dose of trouble! But you do seem to be ignoring your body's messages not to do so much. That's the key to managing your discomfort.
 
Hope that you have more good days @Bessie 2.....and take it easy...this THR cannot be rushed, for sure. Love Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Chrissie, Thanks for the kind thoughts today was a good day. How was your day?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So glad @Bessie2....it's amazing how a good day can make you feel so much more optimistic. My day was good too...like you I still have knee pain in my right knee ( THR leg), and today felt like I had a block behind my knee and that my kneecap was tight. It helped after an hours walk to loosen up. But, am so much better than before op....so all good. Will be better when we get some warm weather...instead of all this rain which isn't great for arthritis! Thinking of you...Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Bessie2 You don't need to quote a post every time to reply to it, so please don't do that.
Just scoot on down to the bottom of the page and start typing!
 
Hi @Hoppy Nanny, it does take a while to get stretched out, I am moving better today. We are having a very cold winter. It was 8 degrees this morning and we are expecting a huge snow storm on Thursday. Most days I see a an improvement. I cannot wait till spring arrives. How was your day? Warm thoughts to you.
 
Hi @Bessie 2. Oh glad you are moving better today...yes, the weather everywhere seems generally upset. Snow with you, floods here, furious heat in Australia..what on earth is going on..? Tomorrow here in the UK we have amber warnings in place for severe gales, storms, thunder, hail, etc...yuck....my nephew lives in New Jersey and says it's been very cold. Spring seems a long way away....but, just think by spring we will be much further on in our recovery and be able to enjoy it. Tomorrow going to see my twin sis who is 6 weeks post op from TKR and then onto my daughters in a kent to see grand kids. Good, but tiring I expect. Still get quite tired...glad that each day is better for you......hope you have an even better day tomorrow. Love Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom