Hinged Joint 8 month regression^

And another thing. This is a family forum and neither the users nor staff members (I'm one of them) are allowed to use any kind of strong language nor anything that hints of it. I really had to work hard on my previous reply because those ignorant wossnames* are CAUSING your misery. You are clearly a brave person being bullied.

Sit down, relax, watch telly. This is not being idle. Sitting quietly with your knee iced and elevated is a prescribed, proactive, structured recovery programme. No I'm not kidding.

Yes, wossname. Anything stronger and I get told off.

Thank you for the advice, Just feeling so low and frustrated at moment.

I agree Roy, I feel more supported by this thread than my carers. I have had years of difficulties which have led to numerous operations. I have said that I feel that this hasn't helped the swelling and pain to be told it's in my mind! I will keep reading the advice on here. I'm constantly icing and elevating. Thanks again

Why did I ever agree to have this operation? I can't cope with anything at moment. I'm a misery to live with and can't see any light at end of the tunnel
None of this is your fault. You don't need to cope, OK? As I said above, relax and watch telly.

You say 'family' and 'two young children'. May I assume partner/husband? He is probably beside himself with worry. Here's a message for him: Hi. She's really wound up, right? You can really help to fix that. First, tell her it's not her fault (cos it isn't, no white lies needed). Give her permission to be unwell, to be 'selfish'. Put her by the telly, leg iced and elevated, choccies to hand*. Take on everything you can take on, those kids too, if they're old enough to understand even a bit. Oh and please don't kill that therapist, judges get really annoyed with that sort of thing.

*Or wine. Or gin. Whatever.

@Tanya76
Just take it one day at a time. I had my TKR Nov. 6th and feel helpless, my emotions are bouncing off the wall, and I am restless. My pain pills are making me sick at my stomach, even taking Prilosec, but not helping, so I am trying to get by therapy using Tylenol and don't know if I can handle all that. There is light at the end of the tunnel and you will get there. I am 66 and this is my 2nd TKR and I asked myself, why did I have this knee done.....but I couldn't walk without pain, bone on bone and arthritis had demolished my knee. My other TKR did not work out very well and I was so scared of this surgery, so I used a different surgeon and hospital. It seems all the therapist want is ROM and they tell you if you don't get it you will walk with a limp and your knee will never be right. I have read on this forum so many people who don't get their ROM for months or even a year. The recovery is a long healing process and it is hard to not be able to do normal things. It's like riding a roller coaster. One day you feel better and then next day you don't. I love this forum because everyone who had this surgery can really uplift you and are there for you. I don't post much but read the different post a lot. It makes you feel better to read other individuals taking the same journey as us. I am trying to do all the therapist tells me, which is ROM, cause I need to go back to work,,,but have got to let my body heal and recover from the shock of this major surgery. So Tanya, things will look up and each day your body is healing, is a day closer to getting back to normal. I will keep you in my prayers and may each day you will feel better.

Thank you so much to you both for your words of encourage Henry and support. Feeling more positive today. I am so pleased that I found this group.

Encouragement not encourage Henry!

It really takes a few months (3-5) before most are happy about the TKR surgery. You’re still so early in recovery that you still need a lot of rest, ice and elevation. Following the Activity progression for TKRs is the best advice I can give. Take a week or so off of PT and see how you feel. I didn’t have any PT for a month and NO bending at all for that month and still my knee bent. But it took time, this recovery is a marathon, not a sprint. There’s really nothing you can do to hurry things along.

Thank you KarriB. I am determined to be more relaxed. It’s the Physio that’s stressing me out. Going to cancel the next two weeks sessions. I told her not to touch my knee st last session which did not go down well but I felt better.

The pain has lessoned in past week. I have about a 40 degree bend

I completely underestimated the recovery time for this operation. Thank you for words of wisdom.

PT stressed me out, too, though my therapists were much nicer than yours. After my second TKR I managed this stress by not doing formal PT at all. Instead I practiced my own little daily routine of heel slides, ankle pumps, stationary bike, etc. Eventually (after 6 1/2 weeks) I scheduled a few PT sessions. I quickly realized I didn't really need them and went back to mending on my own. It was a very relaxing recovery. Some of us, I think, are simply more sensitive to pressure and criticism, regardless how well-intended it is. I hope you feel better soon!

Last edited:
It’s the Physio that’s stressing me out. Going to cancel the next two weeks sessions. I told her not to touch my knee st last session which did not go down well but I felt better.
Remember this: It's your body and your knee. You are in charge. no one is allowed to do anything to your knee without your consent. If they do, they are assaulting you.
CONSENT: what it means and how it can be used
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

Whether you do it directly or through your taxes, you are paying the physio's wages. They work for you, not the other way round. You don't have to please them. They have to please you. You're the boss.

Did you realise you don't have to go to physio/PT at all?
There are many of us who have never done formal PT and have knees that function well. I'm one of them.

It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.
The normal activities of your daily living are sufficient exercise for your new knee.

You will get there! You are barely a month out of surgery and many of us felt the same way you do at that point in recovery. Be nice to your knee, be firm with PT and be patient!!! This is a very long recovery and you can't rush it unfortunately. Glad you are canceling PT for a couple of weeks,

I think staying away from PT is just the thing right now. I can tell you what I was doing at 4-5 weeks. Most of the day elevating and icing, usually an afternoon nap, a few heel slides and maybe walking for a few minutes.

My OS was very up front about the recovery time, but even so when you hit a month and you're only in the "early days" it does feel frustrating.
But that's why we're here. To help with questions & to have people to talk to who understand.

Thank you to you all. You are very kind and supportive. I wish it would bend slightly more as I feel I would feel more comfortable, especially at night. It’s strange as it’s been 4 weeks which feels like a lifetime but can see that in knee recovery, it’s not that long.

I am 3 weeks in after TKR and have limited bend
Not unexpected at 3 weeks.
I can get 80 on CPM but only get 40-45 degrees alone.
Remember this - the only number than counts s that which you accomplish on your own!
My physio is really pushing it and she’s making me feel like I have failed.
Well you haven't!
I was advised by all at hospital that I should have had a 90 degree bend prior to leaving hospital.
Yes they do say that but sometimes it's just not possible. So ignore it!
Physio said that she’s going to have to bring my 6 week review forward as I’m likely to need a MUA.
Well even if you do, it won't be the end of the world. So don't let it upset you.
I’m being told there’s a window of opportunity.
That's a total myth!
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" JBJS
I know the CPM is passive but hoping it will prevent adhesions.
It won't and it might even contribute to them! It's been shown that when tissues are heated up by activity, they are more likely to create adhesions. And a CPM gets your tissues hot!
I keep getting told that I will get adhesions.
Well that's a myth too! In my experience, the nurses, doctors and physios who constantly tell their patients this actually have no idea why adhesions form or even what they are! I do! Read my article here MUA (Manipulation under Anaesthetic) and Adhesions.
Why did I ever agree to have this operation?
I promise you you WILL be pleased you did it - eventually. MY surgeon told me I wouldn't be please I'd had it done and I would be cursing the very sound of his name for six weeks (as if!) and he was nearly right!

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

I’m sorry you’re getting all these unhelpful messages from the very people you have enlisted to help you. They are trying to scare you into letting them hurt you, which is so far off from what you really need, which is support and gentle treatment for your knee. At one month out, you are in the worst days of recovery still. It doesn’t help that this is a long recovery, so improvement can (and often does) happen slowly.

Just know we’ve all gone through what you’re going through. We’ve been there. The pain. The stiffness. The knee not bending yet. But your body is working as hard as it can to heal, so if you can be patient a little longer, you’ll be seeing signs of improvement soon. :)

Hi Josephine,

Thank you

I'm happy to answer any questions.

Thank you SusieShoes, I just think I would feel more comfortable if I could bend more. Sitting and being able to get into a car would be easier too.

I know it will come eventually but sitting alone with too much time on my hands isn't helping. Thank you for your kind words.

Yes, it's easy to get yourself into a loop of worry when you're home and recovering.

I agree, I am normally such a positive person but this has knocked me completely. I'm still at 40 degree bend. It's so out of character for me to be so negative but just want my old life back. I want to be able to sit in a chair comfortably. To curl up in bed, to be able to walk. I can't stop crying.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Hyde
Recent bookmarks
Back