Guest viewing is limited

TKR 7 month angst

It is great news that righty's pain is gone. Hopefully, lefty will copy her!

I have 'met' many friends on this site, with friendships that have lasted for years! We are so different, and the individual threads make it easy to become close with others.
 
Hello @Darvi! It was good to see your post. I had a LTKR about the same time you did and had some of the same problems.

18 months post surgery, my knee is still not great. I also have a tight band feeling in it and have never really gotten a good ROM, but I keep trying! I can’t imagine having both of them done, fortunately my right knee is still good and I’m hoping it stays that way.

I also wonder about @AnnYo and how she is doing. I hope you continue to improve, I really think that I am slow at this. I am just now beginning to feel like myself again.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello @sistersinhim and @Maggie M
Lovely to hear from you both; thanks for the encouragement, Sisters In Him and good to hear from Maggie M again as we seem so similar, in fact identical in some ways.
18 months on I really expected to feel normal but with knees that wouldn't let me down. The tight band and also (me too!) lack of ROM is annoying. I was never terribly optimistic and fortunately was bolstered by so many people here, but I do feel down when people I know personally seem much better after their TKRs.
That said, I suppose, Maggie M, we are getting better overall. You said you seem slow to improve but I imagine the "feeling like myself again" is due to much greater stamina than a while ago and also a general feeling of being able to do things, so perhaps hang on to that thought. I do feel pretty normal apart from the constant awareness due to tightness and also not being able to move sideways quickly and painlessly (when playing with grandchildren). I don't know how people can play Padel at 3 months!!
So glad I posted again!
 
Many notice improvement into their second and even third years post op, Darvi, so hang in there!
Thanks for stopping by with an update. I hope you enjoy the Summer! :SUNsmile:
@Darvi
 
not being able to move sideways quickly and painlessly (when playing with grandchildren)
I haven't been able to move sideways quickly, even before the TKR, so I never try it now. Grandkids can really be blessing! One day, you'll be back playing with them the way you want to.
 
I haven't been able to move sideways quickly, even before the TKR, so I never try it now. Grandkids can really be blessing! One day, you'll be back playing with them the way you want to.
Sorry, but I didn't see this in June! It makes sense really, not even trying it as it hasn't been a good movement for me either, even before the TKR.
So I'll stop always looking for what I CAN'T do!
Enjoying England's unusually hot summer, still experiencing 2 tight bands though. Will try to keep walking, although stamina isn't what it used to be.
Thanks, as always, for the reassurance.
 
Hello again. I haven’t posted lately as I don’t feel I have much to contribute anymore. I’m 2yrs 3 months since the RTKR and 1yr 6 months with LTKR.

I think both knees are as good as they will ever be and I’m still not very satisfied with the outcomes.

Both knees are stiff in the morning and after exercise; I use the stationary bike for 10 minutes which helps loosen them. I get some pain around the inside edge of the L knee, despite it being the better of the 2. I’m always aware of them and often experience stiffness and tight band. However, I wonder if I’m asking a lot as I’m 76.

The good thing is I assume they are strong and I never worry that they might let me down, which was a fear before the TKRs. I walk quite quickly, trying to get out for 1 or 2 miles most days, despite the constant cold and rain in South East England! I’m not much of an encouragement to others!

I hope Lakeland Lass continues to improve – what a dreadful experience to have gone through. There are so many other people whose stories I have read and whose recent progress I would love to hear about. Ann Yo was very similar to me, so I wonder if she is fine now.

Also, good wishes to all the friends who offered many helpful and supportive comments along the way.

Belated happy new year to all.
 
Hello Darvi,
Thanks for stopping by with an update. It's nice to hear from you! I am sorry you're not fully satisfied with the outcome of your surgeries. I think it sounds like you're doing very well. :thumb:

Thankfully you're confident in the strength the TKR's have provided. The great news is that you're still active at 76 and able to use both knees. There are many your age with bad knees and not doing much at all. You're not alone in feeling a little stiff in the morning, or after activity, which doesn't mean your surgeries were unsuccessful. My OS's physician assistant reminded me early on that these artificial joints will never match our natural joints, but do get pretty close. It's not too late for you to enjoy more progress. Some have shared they noticed improvement into their second and third years post op.

It sounds like you made some forum friends through your recoveries. Lets tag @Lakelandlass and @AnnYo possibly they receive email notifications if tagged and they'll return to say Hi and update us. :fingersx:

Wishing you some sunny warmer weather for your walks. Spring is on it's way! :flwrysmile:
@Darvi
 
Good to hear from you. I'm sorry your knees aren't as good as you hoped but glad your knees feel strong and don't give way like they did before.
I know what you mean about wondering what is reasonable to expect as we get older. I am turning 70 shortly and although my PKR knee is pretty good in terms of ROM I get some twinges from some previously damaged ligaments and quite a bit of pain at times from other joints. Like you I find a good walk helps to keep everything moving. My phone tells me I walk at over 5km/ hour which AI says is a reasonable pace for my age.
I also find a regular pilates practice helps me to stay more supple. Have a look at my teacher's free classes on YouTube- she is excellent. Google Katja pilates and they come up.
 
I bet you'll see improvement in your knees as time goes on. Many do, including me. I, too, have those achey joints here and there, but atribute those to my 74 years.
 
Aah, so good to hear from you all, thanks for taking the time to send even more reassurance. I really value the things you say and the encouragement you give.
I get some twinges from some previously damaged ligaments and quite a bit of pain at times from other joints.
I, too, have those achey joints
These comments are particularly eye-opening for me as I've never stopped to consider that, after all these years of adjusting to arthritis, ligaments etc could be damaged and therefore can be painful.
I'm so glad I posted as I feel much happier and more positive now!
I feel I seem to be very 'needy' and hope that at some point I will be able to offer encouragement to others.
Thank you, Layla for tagging @Lakelandlass and @AnnYo for me. I certainly will walk more when Spring arrives!
 
Great to hear from you @Darvi. Remember that, even though you are a Basic Member, you can still post updates here on your recovery thread. When you do that, frequently other members will respond. Having that communication can make you feel less “on your own” with questions or concerns you may have. You can also post on other members’ threads with encouragement. That always feels good to share your story in a way that relates to what someone else is going through. I hope we see more of you on the forum. Feel free to also share some photos from those Spring Walks!
 
Thank you Jamie. By the way, how do people post photos? I would love to see some that others have posted.
 
@Darvi You can post your knee photos -- and see others' photos -- here:

To post, simply click the little photo icon at the top of the posting box and a pop-up will open that looks like this. If you click in that box, it will let you chose a photo to insert. Be sure to add a note of how far along you are in recovery.

[Bonesmart.org] 7 month angst
 
I'm so glad I posted as I feel much happier and more positive now!
I feel I seem to be very 'needy' and hope that at some point I will be able to offer encouragement to others.
We're happy to hear from you again and receive the opportunity to support and encourage you, Darvi.
Please don't fret about feeling needy. We've all been in that place, so feel free to lean on us. That's what the community is here for. I'm sure when you're further along you'll naturally find yourself helping others.
Have a great weekend!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom