Guest viewing is limited

TKR 7 month angst

I edited your signature to reflect your upcoming surgery, Darvi. Thanks for the info.
can only get up from the floor by using the unoperated left knee to push up, avoiding kneeling on the new knee. So what happens when that knee is delicate? How have others managed?
I am wondering if there is really a need to get down / up from the floor before both knees are completely healed and you've regained your strength? This will come with time. Think of those that have bilateral surgery, brave souls for certain, but they somehow manage. You will also!
I hope you have a lovely weekend and please stay in touch. :SUNsmile:
 
can only get up from the floor by using the unoperated left knee to push up, avoiding kneeling on the new knee.
I had the same concern when I had my second TKR and discussed it with my physical therapist. He showed me a technique for getting up from the floor that I can best describe as putting myself in a "downward facing dog" position and then "walking" my hands back and up my legs. It looked (and felt) awkward, but it was helpful while I recovered.
 
can only get up from the floor by using the unoperated left knee to push up, avoiding kneeling on the new knee.
I had the same concern when I had my second TKR and discussed it with my physical therapist. He showed me a technique for getting up from the floor that I can best describe as putting myself in a "downward facing dog" position and then "walking" my hands back and up my legs. It looked (and felt) awkward, but it was helpful while I recovered.
I take Layla's point about not getting down on the floor, it's not something I have to do except for a couple of exercises but I am grateful to benne68 for the tip on how to get up.
 
can only get up from the floor by using the unoperated left knee to push up, avoiding kneeling on the new knee.
I had the same concern when I had my second TKR and discussed it with my physical therapist. He showed me a technique for getting up from the floor that I can best describe as putting myself in a "downward facing dog" position and then "walking" my hands back and up my legs. It looked (and felt) awkward, but it was helpful while I recovered.
I also get up from and down to the floor using a kind of downward facing dog move. It feels good to be able to do that- I’m an Alexander technique devotee so lying on the floor taking “constructive rest” is an important part of my day lol.
At five months though the front of my knee over the patella tendon and incision is far to tender too put any pressure on and kneel. I’m hoping this eventually goes away as I’d love to get back to some “all four” exercises. Will it take a year?
 
At five months though the front of my knee over the patella tendon and incision is far to tender too put any pressure on and kneel.
When I wanted to do my yoga practice, I knelt on a thick chair cushion to provide some padding for my knee. As my knee became accustomed to that, I switched to a thinner cushion, then to a towel and just recently (I'm at 9 months) to kneeling directly on my yoga mat. Baby steps!
 
I’m hoping this eventually goes away as I’d love to get back to some “all four” exercises. Will it take a year
I could kneel on my PKR from about 5 months by using a flat foam cushion about 3/4 inch to one inch thick. I needed to kneel because I have spinal stenosis/ severe lumbar arthritis and I need to do back exercises including 4 point kneeling to keep sciatica at bay.
By regular practice it has got easier and easier. It is still not totally normal at 21 months but I can kneel for quite long periods in pilates classes using the knee cushions and briefly on my wooden floor with no support at all ( when I need to get something from a low cupboard).
 
@Darvi --Good luck on your surgery tomorrow. I also have a bad "unoperated" knee and share many of your concerns that you've expressed. I hope all goes smoothly and I look forward to reading more posts from you.
 
Best Wishes tomorrow, Darvi!
Please update us once you're resting comfortably at home. We'll be watching for you.
Hugs :friends:
@Darvi
 
@sistersinhim
@Layla
@ann Yo

Many thanks for your good wishes. So far, not too bad with pain sorted and also getting around. I'm in UK and used the NHS; the hospital care was fantastic, much better than previous experiences.

I will keep posting my progress but am going to use the Bonesmart gentle approach this time - no making it really hurt.

My R knee at 10 months is still not perfect and I am experiencing some pain at the back of the knee again, since surgery on the L.

A few people seemed to have problems with their knees at a similar stage to me @ AnnYo; @Maggie M and @benne68 so I would love to know how they are progressing as well. I find it difficult to 'follow' people as I never use social media.
 
Hi @Darvi :wave:

I had my second TKR (left knee) the day before your right TKR. I'm doing well for 10 months. Still experience some stiffness when I've been sitting for a long time. Also, still have weakness in my adductors, so need to work more on strengthening.

That said, I'm back to walking 2+ miles a day and can hike over rough terrain. While not as good as my 20-year-old knees were, things are much better than before my replacements.

You can read my full recovery story here:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/benne68’s-tkr-2-recovery.75916/
 
I hope your weekend wasn't too bad, and I'm eager to see how you're feeling. I'm only 2 weeks ahead of you with my 2nd TKR, and it's always nice to compare notes and see what is/isn't working for others at a similar time in recovery.
 
I find it difficult to 'follow' people as I never use social med
This link may be of use to you if you find it difficult to navigate the forum.

Thanks for posting an update, Darvi. I look forward to following your progress. Have a great week! :wave:
 
Happy One Month Anniversary, Darvi!
How was the past month for you? We haven't heard from you in awhile. I hope you're doing well and enjoying steady progress. Please update us when it's convenient for you.
Have a great November and take good care!
@Darvi
 
It’s taken me a while to get back but thank you Layla for your message.
My new LTKR seems about right for 6 weeks, having had the RTKR 11 months ago. some pain, nights not brilliant, am taking strong painkillers and gradually increasing my activity. can now walk 20 mins in the street.

Still having problems with the right knee, which may be worse as it now has to assist the new left knee.

I am also posting a reply to @Orbit who seems to be suffering the same symptoms. Hope that's ok?

What a valuable resource is this website. Thank you
 
No worries about responding quickly. Sounds like you're satisfied with your progress, Darvi.
Hopefully the evenings / overnights improve soon so you're able to reduce the pain medication. As your left knee continues to heal and strengthen, the right knee which isn't quite one year post op, will have less of a load and hopefully the discomfort will ease.
I am also posting a reply to @Orbit who seems to be suffering the same symptoms. Hope that's ok?
Yes! It's wonderful that you're reaching out to, Orbit, thanks for sharing your journey with all of us and supporting others.
A great end of the week to you! :wave:
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary Darvi!

Two weeks from today will mark one year since your Right TKR, so an early Happy One Year Anniversary, Righty!
I hope you're doing well and enjoying life with two new knees. Take good care and stay in touch!
@Darvi
 
Thanks Layla for the good wishes. I hesitate to post sometimes as I always seem to be complaining, although I think we all find it reassuring when others at a similar stage share similar problems.
The 2 month old L knee is ok. Have increased walking to 25 minutes outside and hope to gradually do more, as I feel that walking must be a good strengthening exercise. My nearly 1 year old R knee is still worse now than before the left op in October. The pain at the back of the knee is still there and I am afraid to push the new knee as it feels like it could start the same pain. Physio has examined the R and says nothing wrong - may be a post-operative pain I have to live with. I also saw my OS for 6 week check who just said both knees look ok, can take up to 2 years!
I'm in that slightly depressed period which Bonesmart mentions and I experienced last time. Poor nights really don't help.
So, I hope all the lovely people who have replied before are getting on OK. It's good to compare notes and also to get reassurance from staff.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom