TKR 60 degrees ROM at 2 weeks. No progress at all :-( <

Keep us posted. It must be a bit frustrating but hopefully you will get a little more ROM as the days pass. Do you still elevate and ice?
 
I know I'm in for a loooong recovery but it would be really nice if my ROM would improve from month to month. Yes, I elevate and ice throughout the day. I'm hooked up to the ice machine for probably 5-6 hours a day.
 
If I was being honest @bertschb your last comparisan picture looked like you were losing weight rather than gaining. I hope you are able to get off your plateau soon!

My only thought is to ask if you are mixing up the activity you are doing? Maybe if you do that, it would help with your frustration and help your knee work in a different, yet still non-aggressive way.

Good luck! This too shall pass.

Jen
 
My thinking is that I've been sitting about recovering, icing, elevating and gentle exercise for ages. Its all I do. I'm hoping to get the green light from my OS later this week and gradually resume my old activities out of the house. I think there's a good chance that they will occupy my mind to the extent that one day, maybe months from now, I'll look down and find my ROM has improved a lot. Its this sitting about that gives us thinking time to obsess about ROM.
 
I've gained about 10 pounds which is a lot for me. It will take two months of bike riding to get rid of that! It's hard to take pictures with an iPhone a month apart that have the same angle and lighting so it's kind of hard to compare swelling and weight gain from month to month.

As for mixing up my activity - other than walking, I can't really do much of what would be normal activity for me. Skiing, hiking, snowmobiling, mountain biking, diving, golf, etc.

It may sound like I'm obsessing over my ROM but I'm actually just frustrated with not seeing any improvement from month to month. Just venting...
 
That's what we're here for, to listen to you! Vent all you want. We have certainly done our own venting in the past!
 
What's weird is other than no change in ROM for sooooo long, the rest of my recovery appears to have gone better than most other folks I read about here. I had virtually no pain and had no problem sleeping after the first week. For that I'm very grateful!
 
Oh I know for a fact I'll gain ROM one way or another. I'll do my own MUA if I have to!! In fact, I did the equivalent of an MUA right before I had my knee replaced last October. I was on a scuba diving trip and jumped in the water with my gear on. I forgot about my knee which didn't bend very well at that time and when my fin hit the water it bent my knee back HARD. Hurt like heck! Every bit as effective as an MUA and no cost. Of course, no anesthesia either unless you count all the beer I drank when I finished that dive.
 
@bertschb you have given me my laugh for the week! I'm going to show your post about the fin MUA to my mermaid friend. I sat at the water entry for a long time before I was brave enough to launch into the water! Thankfully both entry's went smoothly with no torque or excessive bend! Free MUA, you are a hoot!
Interestingly I think the snorkeling is really helping my recovery!
 
But did that unintentional MUA have a good outcome - or any outcome?
 
It didn't feel very good but I had my knee replaced a week later so I don't think it mattered.
 
bertschb, next time drink the beer first, that will loosen it up and lessen the pain:rotfl:. Good way to drown though pressurized alcohol is not a healthy way to dive is it?

How is the temperature of your knee? Any thought that you might have an infection? Not trying to be negative here but you seem to be healthy and active so I can understand your frustration.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My surgical knee is always warmer than my non-surgical knee. I'm 3 months post-op now so I would think if I had an infection I would have other symptoms.

The diving experience would certainly be more interesting with a couple beers before hitting the water but it's NOT recommended!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The ROM in my right knee has been slow to come and seemed to jump rather than slowly progress. Until 6 weeks, I seemed stuck in in 60-70 range, then suddenly I jumped to around 90 and it stayed in the 90-95 range until about week 12. Then it jumped (less dramatically) to 95-105, which is where I currently am. My OS isn't concerned and told me not to even think about it....it will get better as it strengthens and I add more activities back into my life.
 
That's encouraging @Want2hike. I will celebrate every 5 degrees I get until I can ride my mountain bike. Once I can ride my bike I'll forget about ROM!
 
My OS told me yesterday that younger people have a harder time recovering from this surgery because we are in better shape and that's why we get stiffer. He said older people don't have the strength we do and it just moves smoother and makes it less stiff. Don't know if it's true or not, but it does seem that older people have an easier time of it.
As far as the thinking of the pt and wanting to get the numbers better, my at home pt said that some doctors have called and yelled at him because they didn't like the numbers his patients were getting. He said he actually had to hang up on one of them. So, maybe your pt has had that happen before.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom