TKR 60 degrees ROM at 2 weeks. No progress at all :-( <

We do have several gel packs that we keep in the freezer and use when the ice machine is too cumbersome. My wife is going to go to the thrift store in the next week to look for a pedal exerciser and I can also go to the fitness center nearby (2 minute drive) which has equipment and a pool.

Be sure to check with your surgeon before getting in a pool. Mine said NO SUBMERSION for at least 6 weeks preferably 8 weeks.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
I'm at almost 7 weeks. The swelling on my knee has gone down but so has my ROM. The swelling seems to have prevented movement but allowed arthrofibrosis to set in. The OS mentioned MUA at my appt there last week. My ROM is really restricted. Rest, ice, elevation hasn't worked for me unfortunately. I only wish it had.
 
8 week update-
Not much new to report. ROM still around 90. I think swelling may have actually gone down in the last two weeks ever so slightly. I wish the lighting in these pictures was consistent so I could do an apples to apples comparison. Still hoping to get back on my mountain bike by March. Hope you all have a great Christmas!

--------- 5 1/2 weeks ------------------ 8 weeks
[Bonesmart.org] 60 degrees ROM at 2 weeks. No progress at all :-( <
[Bonesmart.org] 60 degrees ROM at 2 weeks. No progress at all :-( <
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Are you doing pendulum pedal swings? I would imagine going around a bit touchy yet. Just rocking back and forth on the pedals might work. If the swelling flares up though its a signal for rest.
I got a basic stationary bike and am doing some five minute workouts at 10 weeks. workout a relative term.. Just a little resistance.
Like you I am looking to getting back on a mt bike in Feb but we will be in Florida with flat trails..Its just that all I have is a mt bike.
Yes it looks like the swelling has gone down.
 
I've been using a little stationary pedaler for about 3 weeks now. I can go all the way around without too much trouble but I have to lean back quite a ways to do that. I use it a couple times a day for 3-5 minutes or so each time. Other than that, I'm going on 3 or so short walks each day. Less than 10 minutes each. Until the swelling goes down there isn't much point in doing anything more.
 
I can finally ride my outside hybrid bike for about 3 miles. But, now it's too cold to get out there. Florida will be wonderful in February! I'm sure you'll be ready. Do you have a recumbent bike for inside riding, too? It was quite a while before I could get all the way around. Starting backwards was the only way I could do it at about 10 weeks out. I hope you have a blessed Christmas, too!
 
I've been using a little stationary pedaler for about 3 weeks now. I can go all the way around without too much trouble but I have to lean back quite a ways to do that. I use it a couple times a day for 3-5 minutes or so each time.
If you want to make it scientific.. put the forward cross arm on a line that is comfortable.. Leaning back is of course natural but not very good for you. I've been guilty of that. Then as your flexibility improves move the pedaler back to a new line..
Rocking back and forth may warm up your muscles.. Its no use stretching cold muscles.. or walk before hand..
or less than maximum heel slides.
 
I am like you in that I figured I'd recover quickly because I went into my surgeries in good shape. Also, I have had minimal pain. I am uncomfortable from swelling, but actual pain...nope.

I'm learning to be careful, though, with what I read. I'm a registered nurse and have lots of critical care and trauma experience, but none as a BTKR patient...until now. Each of us has a different experience, although there are clearly some commonalities. I had to stop looking for "right or wrong" answers to my questions and remember that what one member says may or may not be the case with me. I'm learning to filter information...to take what I need and dismiss the rest. I've got enough going on trying to get through this recovery process; I don't want to attempt to apply that which does not.

Best of luck with your recovery. It is a process in so many ways.
 
12 week update-
Nothing new to report. ROM still around 90. Still hoping to get back on my mountain bike by March. Still wondering if swelling will ever go down. My swelling hasn't really changed from week 6 to week 12. The good news? No pain, I sleep fine and I can walk fine. Hope the rest of you are doing better than me :-)

------------ 8 weeks ---------------------- 12 weeks
[Bonesmart.org] 60 degrees ROM at 2 weeks. No progress at all :-( <
[Bonesmart.org] 60 degrees ROM at 2 weeks. No progress at all :-( <
 
@bertschb man, I hope you turn it around soon. What does your doc and therapist say? just curious.......what are you doing for your rehab?
 
Your swelling does look less at 12 weeks to me. I'm still swollen some at 7 months. I also wonder when it'll match the other knee.
 
@bertschb man, I hope you turn it around soon. What does your doc and therapist say? just curious.......what are you doing for your rehab?

I haven't talked to my doctor since my 6 week follow up visit. I stopped PT at around week 5. I use a small pedaler a couple times a day for 5 minutes and go on a couple 10-15 minute walks each day. Nothing else. I also ice for about 4 hours a day. Icing never does seem to reduce swelling but it makes me feel like I'm at least doing what I'm supposed to do to help.

Based on my past experience with PT, I'm sure a therapist could get my ROM to 110 with aggressive (painful) techniques.
 
Based on my past experience with PT, I'm sure a therapist could get my ROM to 110 with aggressive (painful) techniques.
But that could do some serious damage. Don't even think about it!

90 at 12 weeks isn't all you'll get. Where you are now isn't where you are going to end up.
ROM can continue to improve for a year, or even longer after a TKR. Keep resting and icing and doing a few gentle walks. maybe you could give up using the bike for a week or three, to see if that makes any difference?
Don't do anything to try and force your knee to bend.

If nothing has improved in another month, make an appointment to see your surgeon again.
 
But that could do some serious damage. Don't even think about it!
Hey, I never said I was going back to PT! :-)

I'm in this for the long haul. Based on my rehab to this point, I'm guessing it will be at least a year and maybe two before the swelling is gone. My knee has been swollen for more than a year already so I'm used to it now. ALL I care about is getting back on my mountain bike so I can get some exercise. I'm just sitting around getting fat and out of shape right now :-(
 
I'm 12 weeks post op and I've been stuck at 90 degrees ROM for the past 8 weeks. It's getting kind of old. Seems like a long time to be stuck with no progress. I understand it's a long recovery and ROM increases for up to a year but I thought I would see gradual improvement during the year. At this rate it will be WAY longer than a year for me. That is unless I wake up one day and ROM has magically increased 20 degrees.

Has anybody else experienced a stall in progress this long? Maybe I'm going to set a new record for longest period with no progress :-(
 
Thanks for the reply Josephine. Yes, I read those articles which is why I mentioned previously that I understood ROM can improve for more than a year. I just haven't heard of too many people seeing no progress for so long (although Jamie's progress was pretty slow).

I stopped my home exercises and PT at my 5 week post op visit. All I do now is use my little pedaler once or twice a day for 5 minutes and take a couple of 15 minute walks. I can actually walk at a normal pace now which for me is pretty fast. I used to have slight pain behind the knee while walking but I haven't noticed that for a week or so now. I really have no complaints about my recovery other than being stuck at 90 degrees for the past 2 months. I expected gradual improvement in ROM. Instead I'm seeing none whatsoever.

I'm not worried about being stuck at 90 forever. But, if I plot out my progress so far, it will be WAY more than a year before I hit 120.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I understand. May I also ask how you get your ROM measured?

I also meant to ask if you have any swelling still?

And have you sort your OS's advice and if so, what did he have to say?
 
I'm just eye-balling my ROM. 90 degrees is pretty easy to eyeball. I might be off by 5-10 degrees but my point is it hasn't changed in two months. My swelling is pretty much unchanged since week 6. If you scroll up to post #129 above you can see my swelling. I haven't talked to my OS since my 5 week visit.
 
Early on in my recovery at about 3 months I started 'rocking' my knee in the shower with really hot water on it. I wouldn't let it hurt at all, but just went a little more before I got out. This helped me quite a bit to increase my bend. Also, with the walker, I would sort of march when I walked, which helped.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom