TKR 60 degrees ROM at 2 weeks. No progress at all :-( <

8 month update:

The big update this month is I'm back to doing my daily two hour mountain bike ride. And the best part is I don't even think about my knee while riding now! My ROM is still not nearly as good as my non-surgical knee but it's improving very slightly each month. I can now do everything I could do prior to surgery but with no pain. My knee is stronger. I can walk, bike and hike faster and my knee is improving rather than slowly getting worse over time as was the case pre-surgery.

------------ 2 months------------------- 4 months---------------------- 6 months------------------------ 8 months
[Bonesmart.org] 60 degrees ROM at 2 weeks. No progress at all :-( <
[Bonesmart.org] 60 degrees ROM at 2 weeks. No progress at all :-( <
[Bonesmart.org] 60 degrees ROM at 2 weeks. No progress at all :-( <
[Bonesmart.org] 60 degrees ROM at 2 weeks. No progress at all :-( <
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pleased for you, Brian. You're getting back your normal life. :thumb:
 
Thanks Celle! It took eight months but I'm happy with the outcome now. I REALLY dropped the ball by not researching the recovery period for this surgery in advance.
 
You are back living your life. That's what it's all about!
 
That is great news. Getting to do the things you love is awesome!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Great news! I love hearing how folks are progressing, it keeps me positive and motivated.
Keep it up Bert.
 
Every recovery is different, but I do wonder why surgeons don't inform their patients about the length of recovery. It took a while, but you got there!
 
That's amazing. I'm so glad you've been able to do the things you love again.
I was blessed to find this site before my surgery, or I would not have been prepared either. I really wish that before they received a degree, they would have to take a class in preparing their patients for this surgery.
Once again congratulations :wowspring:
 
@bertschb ~ thank you for posting your monthly r.o.m. progress updates on another page. i'm 11 weeks post op and feel like i'm progressing extremely slowly. i'm okay with it so long as it keeps progressing. my issue is that my surgeon wants to see me on a weekly basis to check my r.o.m. and will release me at 100 degrees. previously he was talking about having to schedule an m.u.a., but after i told him "no", he accepted the gradual improvement but i still feel he's judging me for not starting physio until week 6. i understand he wants to make sure his work is successful and that's why he was lecturing me about gaining r.o.m. or else i would be stuck. i do feel a little stuck right now at 90 degrees, as you were.

my question to you is: how did you handle surgeon follow-ups? did you have to say anything to dissuade him/her from advising an m.u.a. (or your physio therapist)? i do feel comfortable with improving at my own speed but i dread having to explain myself to the surgeon. i don't want to debate with him that there is more than one way to recover. thanks again for posting your experiences.
 
You don't have to debate with your surgeon. Just quietly tell him that you want to continue to give your knee more time. He can't do anything without your consent anyway, so just say what you want and then don't discuss it with him. You don't have to justify your stance.
 
@bertschb...my question to you is: how did you handle surgeon follow-ups? did you have to say anything to dissuade him/her from advising an m.u.a. (or your physio therapist)? i do feel comfortable with improving at my own speed but i dread having to explain myself to the surgeon. i don't want to debate with him that there is more than one way to recover. thanks again for posting your experiences.

Well, my situation was a little unusual as far as follow up appointments went. I left town for six months 5 weeks after my surgery. So, I only had two follow ups - one at 5 weeks and the second at around 7 months. My PT guy is the one that mentioned an MUA and also told me if I didn't improve my ROM would be "stuck" at 60 degrees if I didn't do more PT. I did a ton of research and spent a ton of time here on this great forum and learned two things - I did NOT want an MUA and my ROM wouldn't be "stuck" if I skipped the PT.

I had no problem telling my PT there was no way I was doing an MUA and I would have told my OS the same thing if he had recommended one. You need to be your own advocate when it comes to health care. I've gotten some questionable advice from doctors over the years and what I suspect is that poor advice was the result of their concern about liability. I think that's why doctors order so many unnecessary tests now days and prescribe so many meds. They want to cover themselves - just in case.

If you don't want an MUA, just tell your OS or PT you are not going to do an MUA. It's your body and they are working for you.

One thing I learned about ROM is that it makes no difference if you're in great shape prior to surgery. It makes no difference if you are lean and fit or overweight. It makes no real difference if you do PT or choose not to. As the admins say here on Bonesmart - your knee will heal when it feels like it. Mine is taking forever but it's improving each month. I was up on my neighbors roof all day yesterday helping him replace it. I couldn't have done that two months ago but I had no problem yesterday - although the 95 degree heat wasn't much fun!

Good luck to you! Remember, you're the boss!
 
thanks @Celle ~ wish i could be more forthright. i tried to cancel my last appointment but the very kind receptionist talked me out of it when i expressed my concern about "wasting his time" and m.u.a. she said the m.u.a. was a last resort and he just wanted to check on me. after that, he calmed down but i still sense his judgement that i didn't do enough in the beginning. you are so right, Celle. :unsure:

@bertschb ~ thank you for the encouragement. i did make it clear i wasn't going to consent to an m.u.a. i think he may have got the point finally since he didn't mention it last week. you make a very valid point that i hadn't thought of ~ doctors tend to "cover themselves" from liability. i really appreciate hearing your views and the others on Bonesmart. you be careful now up on roofs...yikes ~ you're brave.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats, Brian! I'm glad you're back on the bike. Dropper post even? I also had residual swelling for many months, especially on the left. I thought I'd never be able to go back to the dropper but I'm ready. I don't even think about my knees anymore when I'm riding. I've crashed and landed on an unpadded knee- (not my favorite thing to do but better than my head) and it was all good.
 
On behalf of all of us slow benders, thanks for sharing your recovery progress and photos -- congrats on getting back on your mtn bike - stay away from those endos! Roofing in 95 degree heat -- you are a good neighbor!
 
@bertschb You have a canny pair of legs there my friend!

but i dread having to explain myself to the surgeon. i don't want to debate with him that there is more than one way to recover
@liam2015 then don't! Ever heard the saying 'it takes two to make an argument'? Just let him say whatever he wants to asn then just keep saying things like "thank you very much but no thank you" or "I hear what you're saying but I think I'll do it my way, thank you"
 
12 month update!

Well, it's hard to believe but it's been one year since I had my knee replaced. Anybody who followed my story will recall how I struggled with poor ROM for the first several months. It took six months before I could even pedal a bike. My ROM has improved significantly since surgery. I would guess I'm at 130-140 now which is fantastic but it's still not as good as my non-surgical knee. The only time I really remember I've had my knee replaced is when I get up after having my legs elevated for an extended period (like sitting in a recliner). My knee is slightly stiff and it takes a few seconds for it to loosen up. Otherwise I pretty much don't even think about my knee. My ROM was so bad the first several months that I wondered if I had made a mistake by getting my knee replaced. However, At this point I would deem my knee replacement a complete success!!

For those of you struggling with really poor ROM that lingers for months, don't give up hope! And to all of you that offered encouragement during the dark days of my recovery - thank you!!!

-Brian

---------------6 months----------------------7 months--------------------8 months--------------------1 year-------------

[Bonesmart.org] 60 degrees ROM at 2 weeks. No progress at all :-( <
[Bonesmart.org] 60 degrees ROM at 2 weeks. No progress at all :-( <
[Bonesmart.org] 60 degrees ROM at 2 weeks. No progress at all :-( <
[Bonesmart.org] 60 degrees ROM at 2 weeks. No progress at all :-( <
 
Last edited:
Yeah for you Bert!! Thanks for the one year update as well as the photos and your ROM progress I saw on another thread and now have posted on my refrigerator! There's hope for us Slow Bending (and Straightening) Super Swelling Stiffs - yes, we have a club. So glad you are doing so well and that you feel like it's a complete success. Someone asked me this week if I thought mine was a complete success and I said not yet, but I'm only halfway through recovery.
 
@bertschb ~ wow, your r.o.m. has really improved ~ fantastic. you are definitely an inspiration for those of us struggling with poor r.o.m. lingering for months. thanks for sharing your journey and updating your recovery.
 
Back
Top Bottom