Guest viewing is limited

TKR 60 degrees ROM at 2 weeks. No progress at all :-( <

I think we all should go to Hawaii to recover!
Can't wait to hear about you in the Vette!
 
That's it! I'm telling my husband that if he wants me to recover more quickly he must take me to Maui! Keep up the great work!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Bert what is the name of the app you mentioned that measures ROM? I am slow on ROM too, I'm almost 6 weeks post surgery and ROM is 88. Thanks for sharing your recovery, it's encouraging me to be more patient.
 
I am slow on ROM too, I'm almost 6 weeks post surgery and ROM is 88.
A ROM of 88 at almost 6 weeks isn't bad at all. On another day, measured by a different person, that 88 could well be 90, and 90 is what many surgeons expect by 6 weeks.
 
Just using it improves ROM more than anything in my experience.
I wish that was the case for me but I did 2 hour hikes every day during March (which was month #4 for me) and it didn't help my ROM at all. It was about 90 degrees when I started and was the same when I finished.
 
Bert what is the name of the app you mentioned that measures ROM? I am slow on ROM too, I'm almost 6 weeks post surgery and ROM is 88. Thanks for sharing your recovery, it's encouraging me to be more patient.

I'm using an app called iLevel. It's just a basic level. Nothing fancy. There are apps out there that are specifically designed for measuring ROM but I couldn't find one that was free and I'm cheap now that I'm retired :-)
 
I wish that was the case for me but I did 2 hour hikes every day during March (which was month #4 for me) and it didn't help my ROM at all. It was about 90 degrees when I started and was the same when I finished.
But there's a big difference between using your knee and over-using it. From what you said, I think that 2-hour hikes were probably over-using your knee at that stage. When we say "just using your knee" we mean using it for your normal activities of daily living, not consciously doing extra exercise, such as hiking.

Exercise is a bit like medicine: It's all too easy to think that if a little is good, a lot must be a even better. That's not right, though. What is good is the right dose of medicine, or an appropriate amount of exercise.
 
Be careful with the PT. when I started with them I was at 68 degree ROM, after two tough months with them I'm at 95 when "pulled hard". Most of the therapy sessions were sheer agony. I don't think they did me any favors, in fact I think they hindered my recovery. In my opinion, swelling is the main reason for low ROM. My advice is to ice, elevate, ice elevate until you go blue in the face and beware the aggressive therapist.
 
My advice is to ice, elevate, ice elevate until you go blue in the face and beware the aggressive therapist.
This advice is right on target!

In my opinion, swelling is the main reason for low ROM.
And you're so correct about this fact, Ozziegee. In most cases the problem with lower than desired ROM numbers is swelling. Even if you can't see it from the outside, because the knee compartment is so compact you can have small amounts of swelling that inhibit ROM.
 
Glad to hear your ROM has improved. Hopefully it is enough for your bike.
I'm still stuck between 110-115.
 
At 6 weeks I'm just at 90 ROM and it's the swelling just above the knee that I've been focusing on. It's very hard in that area, I had the same thing with right knee after TKR. I am trusting that it will come in time.
 
7 month update:

This is a BIG update for me! Although my knee looks the same today as it has for the past 5 or 6 months and my ROM has been the same for the past three weeks or so, I can ride my mountain bike now! My ROM is still around 120 (at it's best point during the day) but that's enough for me to ride. I think I need ROM of around 130 to rotate the pedals freely but what I have is good enough. I rode the last two days and although my butt was really sore, my knee was fine. It stiffens up a bit after the ride but that's to be expected. The other good news is I can drive my manual transmission car- just in time for my performance driving school next week.

My OS told me prior to my surgery that my surgical knee would always be larger than my non-surgical knee but I wasn't expecting it to be as large as mine is after 7 months. I'm hoping to gain another 15-20 degrees of ROM before the year is over. Although I still can't pedal my bike or go down stairs 100% like I did prior to surgery, it's close enough. If I gain more ROM by the end of the year, that's great. If not, it's no problem. There is nothing I can't do now that I could prior to surgery.

------------ 4 months------------------- 5 months---------------------- 6 months------------------------ 7 months
[Bonesmart.org] 60 degrees ROM at 2 weeks. No progress at all :-( <
[Bonesmart.org] 60 degrees ROM at 2 weeks. No progress at all :-( <
[Bonesmart.org] 60 degrees ROM at 2 weeks. No progress at all :-( <
[Bonesmart.org] 60 degrees ROM at 2 weeks. No progress at all :-( <
 
Yippee! How uplifting! It just goes to show that it might take time, but this surgery can be a wonderful success!
 
My TKR knee is larger than my natural knee. As long as there no pain I'm fine with it. :yes:

I'm glad you're finally on your bike! :biking:
 
Mine is also still larger than my old knee. I don't think it's swelling, just naturally bigger now.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom