Guest viewing is limited

TKR 6 weeks in but NO energy

I rode a recumbent bike every other day during my recovery, but my PTs said to always use 0 resistance until month 5-6. As Roy said above, it helps with stretching and mobility. I found building a walking regimen slowly was helpful. I began walking 10-15 minutes a day, adding 5 minutes every week. This helped to strengthen the muscles around my replacement in a way that my therapy never did. Now I walk a few miles every day (unless the weather doesn’t cooperate) and ride 8 miles on my recumbent bike, but it took a while to build up to this. Slow and easy without pain is the way to do it.
 
Thanks for the biking tips. I used to be avid cyclist until I blew out my left knee and had it replaced (PKR) 2.5 years ago. Unfortunately I just never could get comfortable in the saddle again and loss confidence going back to more serious cycling after that. Recumbent bike is hard on my hamstring so I use straight up bike. My goal is to get most mobility back and rid of everyday pain and soreness by mid June (7 months PO). Realize it will not be all gone but enough to resume our world wide adventure travels and trekking.
 
My goal is to get most mobility back and rid of everyday pain and soreness by mid June (7 months PO)
NEVER set goals with a date attached. Rather say "I'd like to get ... but I'll see when it happens"!
 
Update after 8 weeks PO. I have very good ROM, 0 to 130 and maintaining. Energy levels have improved but still get tired during the day and get lightheaded and exhausted at times. Biggest issue is still the discomfort level. PT told me I have IT band issue. Much soreness on outside where connective tissue stretchs over lower part of new knee. Am told stretching, massaging and strengthening of muscle at hip is needed which I have been doing the past couple of weeks but very slow improvement. PA told me on my checkup that lateral sharp pain sometimes is probably stretching of deep interior sutures which can takes months to heal. Has anyone heard of this? Any recommendations regarding IT band and usually how long it takes to resolve? This seems to be my biggest issue. Thanks.
 
Are you finished with PT? With ROM of 130/0 you really don’t need it anymore, just walking and daily living is all you need now. At just 8 weeks post op there’s still healing going on, so I’m not surprised you have discomfort or get tired. Sometimes certain exercises just compound IT issues so take a look at what Celle left for you.
 
Thanks much for the info link on IT issues from Celle. I started foam roller about a week ago. Very painful but guess that means my band is really tight. Also doing various stretching exercises to help strengthen the band from the top. I am still seeing PT 2x per week but that will probably stop end of this month as I can do most exercises myself at home which I am already supplementing with formal visits. Also stopped my once per night oxycodone med this week and it was more difficult with body affect than I anticipated
 
I hope your oxy withdrawal eases up and that IT band pain goes away.
 
One other question regarding OTC pain relief. For those that are now off a narcotic which OTC med worked best to help relieve continued pain - Tylenol, Aleve, ibuprofen or other? Thank you very much.
 
My goal is to get most mobility back and rid of everyday pain and soreness by mid June (7 months PO)
NEVER set goals with a date attached. Rather say "I'd like to get ... but I'll see when it happens"!

I’m 7 months PO, and I have good days ( no pain and great flexibility), and days where it hurts to even move. Much of mine depends on the weather, but I’ve also noticed that if I have to do a lot of climbing around in machine at work, it’ll flare up.
 
I am now 14 weeks PO. Although energy levels are better still much lower than pre op. Still pain some stiffness and tenderness on outside lower portion of knee which feels like a strap across knee cap. PT believes it is some type of connective issue problem. Have major active trip planned in July so need to get this resolved over next several months. :what:
 
We have all had the strap across the kneecap feeling. Others have said it does go away in time. Good luck on your recovery.
 
I too have band tightness. Am five weeks post op, but still get so tired during the day, I take about a two hour nap each day. I’m not sleeping well, so I’m just listening to my body. I feel so much better if I get adequate rest. I hav3 been keeping a journal since surgery and by doing so I can see how much progress i’ve made. The journal helps on the days when the knee is painful and I get discouraged. This is definitely need# to be a slow recovery. Good luck, so7nds like you’re doing really well.
 
Mostly it will just take time. At 14 weeks I was at work but far from recovered in energy and the knee still had stiffness etc. Just pace yourself and you'll get there.
 
Like Kneeper I was back to work, which meant I had NO energy to do anything else. My leg felt a tight and swelled a bit after being on it at work.
 
Well I am now about 7 months post op and about to embark on month long trip which was my original goal. I have most of my energy level back and close to full mobility and rom. However still have that tightness of feeling like a strap and soreness. Doctor says it could well be scar tissue. For those of you that have experienced the same does it ever go away or do I just have to learn to live with it? I also want to thank everyone for all the great comments and encouragement over the many months. It certainly was appreciated.
 
I find I can't work a whole day as I feel exhausted and leave not l9ng after lunch and have a sleep not sure how long it takes to improve. I am sure there are incremental improvements that one day you think oh I have not had that discomfort in awhile.
 
For those of you that have experienced the same does it ever go away or do I just have to learn to live with it?

That tightness/stiffness does eventually go away. If you are very active and up and about a lot of the day, it may continue a little longer. That's because what causes it is the last lingering swelling inside the knee capsule. It will gradually get less and less until you realize one day it is gone. It will only return after that if your knee gets aggravated and swells again. The won't happen a lot once you've fully recovered.

This is why we say a TKR (and PKR) has a year-long recovery. Sometimes full recovery can take longer, but most everyone has the last bit of tight band stiffness at the back end.
 
My stiffness went away after about 9 months. Of course, if I did too much it would come back until the inside swelling went down.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom