Guest viewing is limited

THR 6 weeks and not going too well

Yes I am to a point but my other leg is now catching and causing very painful sharp groin pains if I move a certain way as I guess I am compensating because of the weaker operated leg. Like many others my other side is also "not normal" the surgeon said but it has only moderate arthritis at this stage. I am just hoping the surgeon sends me for a MRI of my hip if the lumbar one hasn't show anything. It is becoming very tiring to have to get my husband to help me lift my leg into the car and onto the bed etc (I know I could get a leg lifter but he doesn't mind) at now 11 weeks with really no improvement.
 
I had my 12 week visit with the surgeon and for my mri results of my lower back which showed nothing that would cause my hip flexion weakness. He said he has never had a patient with this problem in all his years and the next step is a nerve conduction study as it could be femoral nerve damage. I feel I am getting closer to an answer and hope something shows on the test. I have found though in the past week I can walk a lot better and feel I can now confidently ditch the walking stick once and for all although I feel my walk is still a bit funny, I am guessing because of the hip flexor issue. Just wondering after reading that we shouldn't bend over to pick something off the floor until 12 weeks, is this because it is hard to do until this point because of stiffness etc or because of dislocation risk as I'm not sure I could now due to stiffness anyway? Thanks for reading and any advice.
 
I'm glad walking is getting easier and that the diagnostic investigation continues.

As we all have varying levels of stiffness and strength, the bending limitation is indeed related to joint stability and concerns of dislocation. The length of time varies with the surgeon's protocols.
 
It is around 4.5 months now since my hip replacement and I am still waiting for my nerve conduction study due to leg weakness. My appt was cancelled due to staff sickness and so I still have a couple more weeks to wait for my rescheduled appt. Even though I have recovered well in most ways from my surgery it feels unnatural when walking on that leg and it is still no easier to lift if when sitting or easier walking up stairs, lifting to get pants on etc. I am thinking that could be due to my possible nerve damage as there must be a muscle that is not working as it should (this is what I am hoping anyway and that it gets better in time) rather than something wrong with my implant. I will be so glad to have this test done just to hopefully find out what the problem is but wonder if an mri on my hip would have been better as I have read an mri can show nerve damage. The surgeon didn't seem keen though.
 
Let us know how you make out. I doubt anything is wrong with your implant you might just have some stiffness that will work itself out in time. Took me awhile to put my operated leg into pants, longer than 4 months for sure!
I was so worried about dislocating that I was extra cautious so probably made my operated side stiffer. Now I can do everything.
 
@Frangipani44 I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this. I’d hang with the conduction studies for now. MRI’s aren’t always as straightforward in diagnosing as we think they might be. There are so many factors that influence the image and interpretation. It’s especially difficult on a THR leg due to the artifact. That might be where your surgeon is coming from. I hope the study gives you some much needed answers and hope. Having things not turn out as planned is always a difficult circumstance to navigate on so many levels. We’re here for you. Keep us posted.
 
Let us know how you make out. I doubt anything is wrong with your implant you might just have some stiffness that will work itself out in time. Took me awhile to put my operated leg into pants, longer than 4 months for sure!
I was so worried about dislocating that I was extra cautious so probably made my operated side stiffer. Now I can do everything.
I think that has been a big part of my problem - worrying too much about dislocation and being too cautious with it. That's great you can now do everything and I am sure that will be me before too long. :)
 
@Frangipani44 While the risk of dislocating a hip is never zero .... not even for a natural hip ... it does get less and less likely as you heal. Here's a chart that shows the relative risks of dislocation ..... at this stage you really have little to worry about.

[Bonesmart.org] 6 weeks and not going too well
 
After nearly 7 months since my hip replacement I finally have an answer to what I thought was leg weakness. My surgeon thought it may have been nerve damage but after a nerve conduction study it showed it wasn't and that my leg was actually very strong not weak. After a long wait for that test and last week an ultrasound on my groin as it was feeling more like a muscle problem and felt like I had a muscle like lump in my groin my ultrasound reports says...

"There is extensive thickening of the sheath and soft tissues around this was measured tendon noted which corresponds to the lump over the entire length of the iliopsoas tendon and may represent bursitis or postop changes".

I at least now have an answer which is great and my leg is a little better (still difficult to lift to get pants on, can't cut my toenails, still don't drive as I have a manual car and it's a lot of effort to lift the leg safely on and and off to change gears etc but at least I can walk normally again). My surgeon mentioned getting an mri (this was before my ultrasound) so hopefully will do that but I am guessing treatment will be an injection/physio? I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and it came good in the end.

Hope everyone else is doing well :)
 
Well at least you have more information now & can decide on next step.
 
Having a diagnosis is always a relief, even if it isn't great news.
Bursitis was an injection for me, but I'd hope they'll do some more imaging to decide which it is before they try to treat things.
I hope you continue to improve.
 
Hello, just a quick question from someone is is now a year since a hip replacement. I still find my hip very stiff if I try to cut my toenails. Is this something I should be easily able to do now or is it something that will always be a struggle after a hip replacement. Thanks so much for any advice.
 
I had difficulty cutting my toenails for quite awhile along with putting my socks on.
I can now cut them but sometimes my surgical side I'm a little "stiff" trying to bend to cut but I can manage to cut them. I think I just need to stretch more, I was doing AM stretches but now that I get up & feel fine I've kind of abandoned the stretching but it is very important to get the body going.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom