TKR 6 months still stiff

So you're a singer! That will take your mind to higher places! :loll:Enjoy the workshop. It sounds like fun! (I was in acapella choir in college many moons ago and also took class voice lessons for a while.)

I had a similar experience with walking--earlier walking experiments seemed to be easier than they are now. I'm not sure why that happens, but swelling and tightness can come on with activity that previously didn't seem to cause it. I'm guessing that it's because further out from our surgery, we are more active and doing more little things without thinking about them. They mount up, and then when we go for a walk, the swelling starts. It's probably not the walk's fault, but it gets blamed. Sort of like allergies: people are out and about all day long, and their protective cells are picking up allergens all day long. Eventually the cells can't handle any more, and allergic symptoms appear--usually in the evening. The allergy sufferer blames the last thing with which he or she came in contact. But it's really a cumulative effect.
 
I'm really glad I renamed my thread and am so happy to meet some"slow" healing friends.
I really don't think you, or some of the others are "slow healing". What has happened is that you all went into this major surgery expecting to recover fast. Nobody warned you that it's a slow recovery. IT's a common mistake, not helped by the fact that few surgeons tell their patients in advance . You go into it with unrealistic expectations and then get disappointed or worried when a speedy recovery doesn't happen.

If you had a relatively easy recovery for your first knee replacement and your second one seems to be taking longer, you feel even worse. That's why we try to warn you not to compare recoveries. Your second knee could have been in worse condition, or needed more work during surgery, and it's on its own path to recovery.

Your second TKR is only 4 months old - just one third of the way to full recovery. Give it all the patience you can muster and I'm sure it's going to be fine.
 
@Joelle
keep us updated about your results!
Thanks so much everyone for the reminders about hanging in there and being careful with activity.
Its an unpredictable balance!

Tomorrow I start singing and I expect it will lift my spirits!
 
You walked to miles. That's really good. Don't stress it will be fine. Sometimes it takes longer than you would like.
Bi mean really 2 miles. That's very good. You are very lucky don't think your not. Be patient and let that heal. It should hurt and feel stiff and dire because 2 miles is a long way. Your doing great. Don't loose heart.
 
How's the singing going? Do you have to stand the whole time? Can you keep your knee comfortable?
 
It was a 5 day intensive! Only 10 people , one at a time singing in front and then bring coached. The goal is to become a better singer and that includes emotional work as well. It's fantastic but draining!

Sitting most of the time but I had freedom to stand if I needed to or go to a lounge kind of chair so I could elevate my leg.

We are finishing up the 2nd week of a 3 week trip that includes the includes planes, trains and cars!

So far, so good. Some days I actually forget about my new knee ever so briefly. Other days it's clear i have a ways to go.

Overall I have lost my fear of infection and am doing pretty well at settling in for the long haul!

Next stop after friends in Manhattan, a week in PA AND Baltimore visiting high school buddies and family.

An old friend had staged TkR Oct and Jan. Can't wait to share our stories :)
 
Wow, for 4 months out, you are running all over the country! What a wonderful recovery you are having! Traveling can be mighty hard on a new knee, but you are doing it without any problems.

I would like to go to a singing workshop. I'm the alto in a duet ministry, and I could sure use some improvements! Your being free to sit, stand or go to the lounge as needed was a huge blessing. I'm sure you've enjoyed it!
 
Checking in from NYC! Just finishing the 2nd week of our 3 week east coast whirlwind. Biggest day so far… 1 mile round trip to special NYC deli, .5 mile walk with nephew in Chinatown, Broadway show with friends that included hustling quickly to specific corners to catch UBERS. ( our first time)
I'm completely shocked that I only wore my Tubigrip this morning and feel fine! Almost normal.
We'll see tomorrow.
I'm feeling I may recover after all!
 
@cell want to change thread title to "6 months still stiff" Checked out all the FAQ pages but I never found that "thread" option at the top of any page.. sorry :(
 
Hello @Hopetohike: I just finished reading your entire thread as I was totally intrigued by how easy you took your recovery and the great recovery you have been experiencing! Thank you for giving me hope along with so many others here that I can relax, do what I can during the day and not worry about my slow ROM progress. I wanted to ask you about your biking. I am now rocking the pedals back and forth for 2 min twice a day. Did you slowly work up to 10 min and did you rock more than once a day? Also I was wondering if you knew the difference between compression stockings and what you use i.e. the Zensah Compression Knee Sleeve? I've been using thigh high compression stockings which really seem to help my knee feel like it's not swelling as much when I move about the house although when I stand to cook in the kitchen within a matter of minutes its all over! LOL Thanks for your comments on my questions.

P.S.. I forgot to mention I"m also a singer!
 
Last edited:
Hey great questions. As everyone else says here... let your knees/pain be the guide. As far as biking, I just started trying EVERY day with the rocking. Probably only once a day but at least 5 minutes, maybe more. Once you make a revolution, it's so cool! You'll want to do it more but as usual beware and go slowly. I have recumbent at home and changed it up so that it would require minimum bend, at first and then kept changing it.
My second TKR is almost 6 months old. I have very good flexion(not sure of numbers) and 0 extension. I had one formal PT appt. and when he didin't come up with any novel ideas, I never went back and just did it on my own. I have never been measured!

I did walk as much as possible, did heel slides whenever I was in a chair, did the standard extension exercise described on this site, and elevated and iced A LOT FOR AT LEAST 5- 6 WEEKS.

My recovery is odd in one sense. The first 6 weeks I felt I was really moving along and then suddenly, my progress slowed down to a snails pace! My function continued to get better and better but the stiffness still lingers. It is SLOWLY DECREASING but really agonizing at times since my other knee recovered probably 2 months faster.

I can't complain since i can walk at least 3 miles, and do Jazzercise . I haven't tried my "outdoor" bike yet. The revolutions are no problem but because of the lingering stiffness i don't feel confident that I could recover from a sudden event.
I'm convinced it will all work out before the years end but some days, as you already know, the mind can make up many stories about how " it won't ever work out".
I don't really know the difference between compression stockings and my sleeve. DO you know about tubigrip? I have aalso used that both doble thickness and single for several months. It does a GREAT job for me at reducing any stiff feelings. The Zensah sleeve [Bonesmart.org] 6 months still stiff [Bonesmart.org] 6 months still stiff is a little heartier and structured differently. the tubigrip is available at medical supply stores and the Zensah sleeve is from Amazon. Both have really made a difference for me.

Oh yes, it takes a while in recovery to be able to stand for long! You're very early in your recovery and doing fine. It's very difficult to keep the faith early on. I am unbelievably grateful to this group. It made a real difference to my recovery.

Ah yes. what would we do without the singing!
 
Anyone still have stiffness after 6 months? I am SO sick of it. My function is so good so I guess I'll just have to be patient and let it go away in its own time.. It's very unpredictable. Can't relate it to doing too much or doing the wrong thing . Wearing tubigrip or the Zensah sleev make a huge difference so I'm glad for that.
 
Yes, I had periodic stiffness for a full year after each TKR. After that everything gradually improved. Science tells us that bone remodeling (healing) continues for a few months to a few years after fracture. Extrapolate that information to your leg bones that were very definitely sawed and hammered for TKR and it's easy to understand why TKR recovery takes such a long time. Then there's your soft tissues- all gradually healing!
 
Last edited:
I’m seven months out and still have a little lingering stiffness in my left knee. The right for some reason has no stiffness unless I overdo things. But my left has a little more swelling after a long day and it might hold over a bit in the morning until I work it out.

TKR is a major surgery with a lot of trauma (to the knee joint) involved. Each knee heals in its own distinct way, too. Look at mine, the bilateral twins. One has no swelling 99% of the time; the other has no swelling 80% of the time. Both are continuing to get better but on their own pace. It takes a year or perhaps more to fully recover from this surgery.

As long as everything else is going so well for you —and it does sound like you’re doing great! :yes!:— just chalk the swelling up to being the tail end of your recovery journey. I hope you can enjoy your outside bike soon!
 
Almost 9 months and I still have it, as well as not as much flex yet as pre surgery.
 
Yep, knee still stiff from time to time at 6.5 months out.
 
I am having stiffness 6 months out. Still better than the bone on bone pain I had before surgery.
 
I had stiffness, especially after standing for any length of time for well over 6 months for both knees. But bit by bit it decreased. You think it will never go away, but one day you notice it's hardly there and you know it will really go away.
 
I think the major stiffness may come from standing a long time. Taught a Tai Chi class yesterday...didn't think a bit about my knee, till later when I noticed it was pretty stiff. The again , this AM after 20 minutes on stationary bike, it felt stiffer. Then I put on tubigrip to do a little shopping at the mall and now it feels good.
I think I'll chalk it up to another "mystery of recovery" and just keep on keepin on!
Thanks for all your comments...I don't feel alone:bawl: :loveshwr:
 
Back
Top Bottom