TKR 6 months post op

I am finding the 5 mins of cycling is quite uncomfortable I do this after warmed up and walked dog in the AM. I can pedal backwards 30 revolutions after rocking and then can pedal 30 forward. Thats all I can take. Did it 2 times yesterday but only once today. Also have done bonesmart way of 5 heelslides.
Should I continue the bike?? Obviously my ROM is still not too good.Dont want to aggrevate the behind the knee issues.
Thanks❤
Very frustrated.
 
Ps I can go upstairs properly(holding railing) slowly but not downstairs.
 
You can stop the bike, give your knee a week or two to heal, then try again. If you don’t want to use the bike at all, you don’t have to. I did the bike in PT between 3 and 4 weeks, it hurt too much, and I never used one again, and my ROM eventually came back fine.

Walking around doing your daily activities will bring your ROM back fine.

Going downstairs foot over foot usually takes longer than going up.
 
Many thanks. Bye bye bike until my rom allows me to do a full rotation.
Sitting is really uncomfortable after 20mins or so. Pain behind knee acts up.
Is this normeal for 2. 5 months post tkr.
 
Sitting is really uncomfortable after 20mins or so
Do you mean sitting with your feet on the floor? That bothered me for months!

I kept a small short box under my computer desk to put the foot of my operated leg on. It helped.

In a restaurant or doctor’s office I would put my foot up on my cane. (Hard to describe how I did it) Even just a few inches helped.

As you heal it gets better.
 
@Schnautzer I kept jumping on my bike ( stationary ) with no expectations. Woila! One day it was all back without me planning it. When you restart bike do it in 2 min increments .. 2 min and wait for the knees opinion on that.. If its a go 2 more tomorrow.
 
@Schnautzer The problem is everyone is so different.

My problem is loosing range of motion if I don't ride my bike every day. Even at 9 wks post-op, my surgeon still insists on keeping it to 5 minutes as soon as you can go around "comfortably....", and he wanted a full revolution at 6 wks post-op. I was told I can quit everything from PT and exercising if I wanted, except my 5 minutes a day on the bike. I definitely find it a necessity though or I lose my bend, and I'm willing to admit maybe I'm just a freak of nature, as that's just MY body. Now I'm trying to add back in some Pilates/core moves because of back issues, and it's so hard to know when the knee will complain. Best of luck to you though.
 
But I cannot go around comfortably and tonight am so sore from doing it. Have been advised to let the bike go for a week or so and let tissues heal. Will try that. Will keep you informed. Will still do heel bends and hydro therapy which do not hurt as much.What a nightmare but I will wake up sometime

Maingirl1 and jockett and rockgirl4 sitting with foot on floor is tough. When I was tutoring 1 on 1 in June did put a box on floor, under the desk to raise leg. Big help. Now I just lie on the sofa and elevate leg. Am afraid to go to a restaurant for lunch or dinner. Even will that end. Am going to take it easy tomorrow. Need a pain pill tonight thanks to bike
Carry on troupers!!!!!!!❤
 
I was about 3.5 months post op the first time I sat comfortably in a restaurant through dinner. However, it was tough walking when I first got up from the table! I had gone out with 3 friends and the subject of my knee never came up. I felt like a person again that night!
. Will still do heel bends and hydro therapy which do not hurt as much.
“As much” is the questionable phrase. I am going to tag @Josephine to come and advise you about your exercises.
 
Thanks for that time frame. Now I know this is par for the course. I have people to my place rather than go to their's so I can elevate when necessary
 
I am 3 months post tkr. I have had pain behind my knee since the start. It feels like strained ligaments or tendons. The surgeon, massage thetapist, Pt and family doc all say it is part of the pain of surgery although NOT as common
It is not improving in discomfort and hurts when flexing. I have just this week been able to do a full revolution on the bike.Dr. says still to go slow but keep bending. My rom is around 110.
When will this issue clear up. I feel my bending aggrevates it. So frustrated.and still have discomfort all the time.
Thanks Schautzner
 
I had this after a previous knee surgery. It wasn't a TKR, but it was an invasive surgery with a 6-inch incision and year-long rehab. I didn't think that pain in the back of the knee would EVER go away, and it impaired my bending severely. It finally went away after many months, but it was extremely frustrating and took lots of massage. I do mean A LOT!!!! I'll be thinking of you.
 
I sprained a medial ligament in June in the “good” right knee (PKR April 2018) and was told it will take 5+ months to heal. It is better, at 2 1/2 months, but I believe it will take at least the projected 5 months. It has slowed my recent left PKR’s (March2019) recovery as I cannot walk as much as I would be doing, and doing stairs is tricky.

I think I underestimated the strain of any knee surgery on all the soft tissues. And the strain on the “good” leg. I didn’t find BoneSmart until the second PKR. It has really helped me, and I hope it will help you as well.
 
@Schnautzer
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Thanks for the responses.What did you do besides massage for this back of knee pain???. Im being told to keep bending which I do but is this pain soft tissue, scar tissue or ligament (tendon) damage. I do not know and NO ONE is giving me a diagnosis or advice on treating it. I cant just rest it or my bending will go to hell.
Front of knee is still stiff but not as sore as back. Is it just TIME and should I just continue on
 
@Schnautzer I am 7 weeks post op. Have my own set of issues but I am able to deal with the pain in the back of my knee. My husband massages the back of my knee with almond oil once a day. It really helps to loosen up the muscles. Also I rub bengay behind my knee everday after taking shower in the morning. It helps a great deal also.
 
Last edited:
I agree to keep bending whatever amount you can, but do not force it. I would try to keep massaging it, and I had great success with gentle, but daily stretching of my calves and hamstrings. That has helped the most these last 2 weeks, as the "behind the knee" pain has been giving me grief all this time, and I'm almost 13 wks post-op. I hate to say it, but for me it's been a combination of time, massage, and daily gentle stretching of the muscles--all combined.
 
Hi welcome to the forum!
This place has helped me tremendously! I’m coming up on my year soon on my RTKR.
At 8 weeks I had the exact same pain.. following all the advise here really helped me to understand what was happening and why. I was given the opportunity to do laser therapy. I think it helped me through those weeks. I did 6 treatments once a week through my PT’s office. My PT also did gentle massage before every session which was wonderful.
The pain did fade after a few months. Don't despair, keep slowly working on it. It will get better over time. It can be frustrating and it’s such a long process but be kind to your new knee and listen to it! That’s the advise I was given here and I greatly appreciated it.
Roboknee
 
Thank you so much Roboknee, rockgirl4,mannbub,andpumpkin. According to family doc and massage therapist not Bakers cyst (no swelling). I will follow the advice which is basically what I have been doing and hope time will help.Hydo therapy helps and I practice going up and down stairs properly. Somedays the back of knee issue is worse than others. Am doing A LOT of gentle bending which is what my surgeon says is the only thing to concentrate on. He is not a fan of physio and says the exercises are "not rocket science" But 8 weeks of physio 2 times a week were provided by our medicare which was great. Now on my own.
I also heat back of knee and stretch before I get up to walk dog. Such a long process and end not in sight yet.
Keep me posted re that issue
Thanks a bunch❤❤❤
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom