TKR 6 months po on TKR and knee is swollen and stiff

I'm glad you cancelled your PT. They not only went against your surgeon's orders, but they also committed assault on you when they disregarded your wishes and pulled on your leg with that strap.
Do make sure your surgeon knows what they did.

It's your knee and you have the absolute right to decide what happens to it. If such a situation arises again, walk out of the room. Don't allow anyone to do anything like that again.
remove yourself and your knee from harm.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
 
Cancelling PT was the right thing to do here, and your OS should know what they did to you. Even if he's one that still believes in intense PT after a TKR, going against your wishes was an assault and should not be tolerated!

I will also say, just because a PT decides to do something we don't want them to do, does not mean we have to allow it. You can tell them NO! when they start to put a strap around your ankle, tell you to sit at the end of a table (I'd ask them the reason first) and any other thing they want you to do. Personally, IMHO, the very best way to handle a PT is to not allow them in your home or go to their office! No arguments, no questions, no differing opinions on how YOUR knee should recover, etc. But if you do decide to go to PT, always know ahead of any exercise or procedure exactly what it will entail, and why. That way, before starting anything, you know what it is and why they are suggesting it, and can agree or decide against it.

In the hospital, I told the PT who came in, that he would not be allowed to touch my leg or knee, except to help me lift it in and out of the bed, and I wasn't doing any exercises. All I was going to do was walk the hallways and up and down steps with his help. I stuck to my guns on that, and it wasn't open for discussion. If he couldn't accept that, he didn't have to, but it was how MY knee was going to recover and MY choice. I said it in a firm but polite manner, and refused to back down one iota.

That's how everyone needs to handle PT-it's your knee and only you decide your recovery path. You can listen to anyone you want in order to come to your decision, and then make your decision on PT or no PT. You can change your mind later if you wish, or stick with what you first decided. If you do decide go to PT it doesn't mean you leave your brain and common sense outside-you still set all boundaries and decide what you will and won't allow. And one limit should always be, no surprises. Thoroughly discuss what they plan to do, and why, and let them know your boundaries. Your boundaries are never to be crossed, unless you agree ahead of time after being fully informed. If they are crossed, then it is an assault and needs to be handled in an appropriate manner.
 
Thank you so much for your response and agreement. I feel very comfortable with my decision. I see my Dr on Thursday and will post my results.
 
It is hard to stand up to the PT personal, I totally get that. But its in your best interest to not let them touch you. I'll be curious what your doctor says. You might also mention how the PT hasn't been following his orders.
 
The head therapist had her have me sit at the end of the table and she put a strap around my ankle and then put her foot in the strap and push my knee back. Today I am again stiff, swollen and miserable.
Oh my, this is a huge :no-fin:. Doing this has negative results on your knee. It isn't helpful not one little bit. You can tell that by your knee's results from that aggressive PT. I did no PT formal or at home, just daily activities around the house and yard and I have rehabbed just fine. All that pain of therapy is no unnecessary. I wish everyone would understand that.
 
Just left my surgeons office and he had determined I need manual manipulation under anesthetic which is scheduled next Monday. He says it needs to be done now to get me where I should be.
 
Be prepared that an MUA is going to cause trauma to your already upset knee which will result in more swelling when it’s over. Your doctor will probably get a number he likes but it will most likely go down when the new swelling sets in.

If it was me,this early in recovery, I would not agree to an MUA. There is no rush to get your ROM back. It takes time and healing to regain ROM.
 
I totally agree with Jockette. Your knee has been through the trauma that is a TKR, and needs time to recover. Re-traumatizing it, especially only 6 weeks out, will not do it any favors, and will cause more problems. Just because your surgeon, PT, or anyone else, wants a certain number by a certain date, doesn't mean your knee agrees. Always remember, IT'S YOUR KNEE AND YOUR RECOVERY, and ONLY YOU (and your knee) get to decide how you want to recover. If it were me, I'd cancel the MUA and leave my knee to recover in it's own time frame. The fact that your OS has to knock you out again to do the procedure, tells you that it's an extremely painful procedure, thus the anesthesia. That tells me it's an insult to injury, and IMHO, should not be allowed, at least this early on, if ever.

Being impatient and wanting a certain number as proof of success, to me is counter-productive. I am grateful I have an OS who has never even breathed any suggestion of an MUA to me, no matter my flex, or lack there-of. I know it's hard to be patient, especially in this world of instant gratification, but patience is the key when recovering from a TKR. I've not had my ROM measured at all since my revision, and am fine with that as the numbers, to me, are misleading early on anyway. My suggestion to you is to re-think your decision to allow the MUA, cancel the procedure and give your knee a few months more to recover, then see where you are.
 
IMHO to soon for an MUA. I would at least wait until I reach 3 month period before considering one.
 
I halfway agree with @TimeBuster -it's too early to even consider an MUA, but I wouldn't consider one at three months either. Granted, I wouldn't agree to one at all ever since I think they're unnecessary torture, but if you are considering one, I'd wait a year and see where your knee is at that point. I know some people have had them, but from what I read here, I have only seen a couple that actually gain any ROM afterwards, and, IMO, a few points increase is not worth all that pain, trauma and swelling. The surgeons all say they got the knee to such-and-such a number in surgery (where you're knocked out so as to not feel the PAIN!), but then afterwards the knee swells up and the ROM goes down or stays the same in the long run. Not a good track record, IMHO. Causing a new knee so much pain and added trauma seems counter-productive.......let the doctor live in his fantasy world of 120 ROM at two weeks (yes, I'm exaggerating, I know), while you live in the real world of knee recovery with it's ups and downs, good days and not-so-good days.
 
My OS says he will be happy if I reach 120 by 6 months, which I'm sure I'll reach even though I've been much slower than some. I'm at 110 at 3 months, no way I would consider an MUA.
 
I agree with the others who say you should not have this MUA. You've had aggressive PT, which is most likely the reason why your knee isn't bending as much as your surgeon would like.
Why not ask for a month's deferment? In that month, stop going to PT. Just let your activities of daily living be your PT, and concentrate on trying to reduce the swelling that is the real cause of slowing down the knee bend.
You can't bend a knee that is swollen.

Spend as much time as you can resting, icing and elevating your knee, to try and reduce that swelling.

There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.
 
What is the best exercise I can do?
None at all!
My Dr wants me to continue with the PT and my feeling is I’d like to stop and see what happens.
Your instinct is good!
Just left my surgeons office and he had determined I need manual manipulation under anesthetic which is scheduled next Monday. He says it needs to be done now to get me where I should be.
Nooooo! Please don't do that. You're only 6 weeks out and it's much too early for this.
 
Haven’t posted in some time. Doing well at nearly 20 weeks po but today knee is very stiff and swollen. I’ve been doing more stairs than normal so wonder if that’s it.
 
Doing well at nearly 20 weeks po but today knee is very stiff and swollen. I’ve been doing more stairs than normal so wonder if that’s it.
Of course that's it. Cause and effect.

So did you have the MUA and, if so, did it help at all?
 
Yes I had the MUA at 7 weeks and it did move me forward in my recovery.
 
20 weeks po and just tripped outside on the hose and fell on my replacement knee. I didn’t break any skin. I’m icing it now and hoping I didn’t damage it!
 
Hope so too. Just the accident noone wants :xmark:
 
@Condo9 you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. I changed the title to your latest update so that you can get input on your fall.

You have great company. @Dancersoon just had a similar experience. I've tagged her so she can come and chat with you.

I doubt very seriously that you did any damage. Soft tissues may complain. And falls often impact other areas as they are very jarring. Ice and elevate and get some rest. I hope this eases for you very quickly.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Back
Top Bottom