Revision THR 55 male cyclist 2019 October Revision THR

I'm going to dish out a little "tough love" and I hope you understand that it is done out of concern and caring for you.

Corey, this is what you committed to a mere 7 days ago on October 23:

I promised to use crutches for 2 weeks after surgery and will abide. I feel I could go without but I’m sticking to my plan. My plan also is no PT until Dr. visit Nov 4 so just walking. Period. I plan to limit myself to 5000 steps a day as a self controlled limit.

And this is what you say you're now doing today on October 30:
my daily fitbit steps for week 2 averaged 6500/day. 95% of the time on 1 crutch because i committed to 2 weeks. ill try 50% next week! Plan on returning to work next week. I hope to start some light PT this week and possibly some stationary cycling at the club. my goal is to limit myself to 8000 steps a day next week and i will be holding back hard as my body is saying GO!

Please try and stick with your original commitment at least until you see your surgeon and get cleared for the level of work and activity you are doing. I know this is less than you did with the first hip, but it is NOT taking things slowly. It's risky to be in such a rush. It's not your body that's telling you to go, go, go. It's your mind. You are control of your mind and your recovery and you can hold off on this level of activity for a few more days until you see your surgeon. You may feel great, but your body is still healing. You need to let it do its thing.

When you see your surgeon, be sure and ask him for details of what he'll approve and what he'd like you to wait on. Take your stats from the primary THR and so far on this one so you can show him what you've been doing already. Talk about the distance, frequency and resistance (both on a stationary bike and those mountain or gravel rides) you're attempting. Tell him what activity your work involves on top of the cycling. You and your surgeon are a team in this process and he will have your best interests at heart. If the surgeon says you're good to go after hearing what you believe you're ready for, then more power to you. But please don't try to second guess what the right activity levels are for your recovery.

You may not have caused the problem with your first implant by overdoing activity, but it is possible to have that happen. I want to see you live the rest of your life with this hip.
 
Whoa, I have to say something here. You better STOP doing all those things which aggravated your initial THR. I'm just like you, I have an active life, but they chop your bone off to install the implant. Give it time to heal. I mean really. You will be back EVENTUALLY, but not if you keep trying to get back on your bike, or go back to work too early, or stationary cycling??? Your heading for a 2x revision? That will be 3 surgeries on your 1 hip. Its obvious the people here care about you, so please take their advice and slow down.

I am going in for my RTHR surgery tomorrow morning. For my LTHR I closely followed the recovery guidelines here on BONESMART and my hip is doing fine. I can mountain bike, workout, and just do my active job with no problems! I will do the same with the RTHR. You risk losing your WHOLE active lifestyle if you keep this up.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your input, @Mettlehip. Corey's surgeon has told him his previous activity didn't cause the loosening, but it is really difficult to put a direct cause and effect tag on anything when an implant loosens.

However.....pushing too early in your recovery can increase the potential for problems. That is my main concern. Corey might be able to do this level of activity and have no ill effects. But that is something his he and his surgeon need to have a serious and honest talk about when they next see each other. It's a personal choice, but to me it's not advisable to add extra risk when a little patience will ensure that a person's body has recovered fully before introducing a high level of activity.
 
Given the seriousness of not just the surgery, but a good outcome‘s importance to the rest of one’s life, thoughtfulness about one‘s actions is paramount.

IF, I say if, I was still flying airplanes in the Navy, I would say to Cory, “you’re showing consistent bad headwork. Don’t tease this tiger or you will regret it for the rest of your life.”
 
Hi @Corey W
Hope you know that all of the cautions mentioned are out of true concern and a real desire from staff and members that this revision is your ticket to get back to your life - once healed.
We are all rooting for you!:yay::yay::yay:
 
Yes, we do not want you to get another setback. The most exercise I was prescribed on this forum on my LTHR was glute squeezes at 5 weeks. I don't want to see a hammerhead such as yourself get sidelined for an even longer time. Healing takes almost forever from an athletes perspective. At 4 months PostOp LTHR I amazed myself by pedaling an 8 mile roundtrip excursion around town to do errands. Thats it. No long steep climbs, taking it REAL easy. I was a total physical fitness freak before surgery. Spin class, cross fit, mtn bike racing (beginner), martal arts, running, and aerobic strength training. So being out of commission really depressed me - but you get through it and I am GLAD I listened to the advice here about over doing it. At 2.5 years PO I am STILL in wonder about how I'm still seeing little strength gains, scar sensation, and just getting more comfortable as the implant gets more bonded (healed) to my body as I can do most of the things I could before the surgery. Just no pain! Let it heal!
 
@Mettlehip Thank you for your very encouraging post, and I hope you are doing well with your second hip. I miss cardio!
Things are good, better than I anticipated but the 2-3 day PO soreness blues will be coming on! I will be medicated for sure.
You can get creative and do cardio pre and post op. I purchased exercise bands and they can give you a nice heart pumping, very low impact arm and shoulder workout. I haven't used them post op but pre op they were an essential part of my comeback leading up to this surgery.
 
@Mettlehip That is a good suggestion, and one I have seen mentioned here and there. As my surgery date gets closer, I need to make a concerted effort to get myself to the town gym to use that machine, and thank you for the suggestion about the bands.
I hope @corey is looking in and will let us know how he is doing, when he is ready.
I am glad your second hip surgery is going well! Sorry for the blues. You sound confident about handling them. I am sure I will get them too, but the good thing is it is a temporary situation.
 
Wow...quite a few posts to digest. I appreciate the concern and advice and I am taking it slow. Met with the OS earlier since he cleared me to drive. X-Ray looks perfect and leg length is better than the first go. My surgeon asked me to stay off the stationary cycle until 4 weeks post op (I will follow). He also said that PT has not proven to be effective (BS agrees) in total hips so he'd prefer I skipped it(I will). Finally we discussed fitbit steps. He had no real answer for limitations other than listen to your body. My continued search for data led me to check my iPhone health data(never usually use) and it revealed some interesting information. Apple said my average daily steps last week were 2,400 and fitbit said 6,000. With that much difference I guess the truth lies in somewhere in the middle. I will use my 7500 fitbit steps as my limit until week 4 and I will continue to use a cane at least 50% of the time. I cant lift anything heavier than 10 lbs with my left arm because I still have the IV line in (daily antibiotic push) so I will NOT be going to the gym for at least 2 more weeks. Fortunately the weather in Chicago absolutely sucks right now so sitting around is sooooo much easier. Still use Tylenol/Advil rotation and my Dr. said both are fine. I am using this time to totally revamp my full suspension MTB and getting it ready for Spring 2020! I'll check in soon.
 
Wow...quite a few posts to digest

And you digested them well. Always gracious in your response, even under fire. It's admirable, Corey.

I was relieved to read your update. I'm sure you understand we only have your safety, health and well-being in mind through our commentary.
While 7500 steps still sounds ambitious at this point in recovery, I can only assume that your well conditioned body can take it and that you will continue allowing your body to be your guide.
My Saturday wish....May some nasty Chicago weather keep you in the mood to watch Hallmark Christmas movies in the comfy relaxation of your recliner all weekend, lol. Fat chance! Ha! Can't blame a girl for trying. :wink:
@Corey W
 
Whew - glad you are taking it slower. No rush - especially as you are still on the IV.

Please don't worry about your fitbit steps. Just listen to your hip. It will quickly tell you when you have done too much.
 
So happy to see your post :ok:
I regularly clocked 12,000 steps without trying hard due to the sprawling campus that houses my facility at work but I didn't use my fit bit during recovery.
In your case, it might be helpful for not overdoing.
I used time instead of steps.
Early in my recovery progressed, I might decide to walk for fifteen minutes in the morning. Might be slower, might be faster depending on how my legs felt.
Then another 15 minute walk later...then maybe another later or if legs complained, maybe just a few five minute walks just to keep the blood pumping walks.
It varied from day to day.

You will work it out I'm sure...
I know this has got to make you stir crazy at times but well worth the reigning in.
Hope you have a great weekend, friend.
 
@Corey W Glad to hear from you!! It sounds like you and @Mettlehip could have a good conversation about exercise and recovery. He is on hip two since 10/31.
I am so glad to hear that all is well, from your OS visit, and you are cleared to drive. Sounds like you have found ways to keep your hands and head busy, while you heal.
 
Sounds like a good visit with your OS, nice that you're cleared to drive and think it's awesome that he agrees with BS on PT, especially this early.

I had a good PT to start for my gait though I thought it was a bit early but went to make my OS happy. Unfortunately they moved her to another location that was a couple towns over.

The new PT, who was also the manager of the facility, decided that she wanted to adjust my SI joints that were out of whack, had been for years. Ended up in severe pain, think it was kind of tendonitis right above my left (non op) SI joint. Set me back like a month, had to go to my regular doc, ended up with a steroid injection so that I could move without wanting to cry. Needless to say I don't go there anymore.

It is such a fine line we have to walk and it's hard enough for most of us but especially hard for you athletic types. Glad to hear you're taking it slower.
 
Hope you are hanging in there and doing well, @Corey W
This too shall pass....
Continued healing vibes coming your way :friends:
 
4 week update. Cleared by OS to WALK on treadmill and use elliptical last week. I have been going to my gym each day and being mindful of good posture and using my arms to help support myself. I kept my steps to 7200 on average and used Ice/Elevation regularly. I should be cleared to ride a Spin bike tomorrow (low resistance) and I will not climb (out of the saddle) for several more weeks. My cardio fitness will return in time but I will continue LOW resistance LOW/NO impact until week 8. I feel overall very good and improve daily. ibuprofen/Tylenol 1200/2000 total daily dose for pain, and it’s been great for me. This week 9000 steps will be my limit. I’ve attached my 1 year step graph that really illustrates my journey. I have really cut back from my first surgery and I’ll continue to follow my Dr approved recovery. I’ll check in next week!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 55 male cyclist 2019 October Revision THR
    8A7ECEF6-6F21-41E1-B81C-12D5601EC0C7.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 281
Sounding good @Corey W !
I‘m sure this is slow and steady for you.
I’m glad to read your update! :walking:
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom