Revision THR 55 male cyclist 2019 October Revision THR

Wow Corey, hope your recovery is is moving along. I just read your whole thread because you're a cyclist and found cycling more comfortable than walking. And l found that the case too.
Though no where near distances you cover.
I'm planning to get on my bike at almost 10 weeks post op.
I have a un-cemented cup and cemented stem. And have been very cautious so far.
Your story and recovery was so good and so positive that l was literally planning on a ride tomorrow. I was really shocked and sorry to read you needed a revision so soon obviously not as shocked as you may have felt.
I'm glad your recovery is under way, no doubt you will be back on your bike in the near future.
I believe that the point of the thr was to give me my life back and that includes riding my bike.

Again all the best on your recovery.
 
@Corey W What wonderful news! I bet you were delirious when you got the news!
Your pain levels are down too, and your stamina and strength are improving..
I can only imagine how happy you must be to get this news..
Congrats and keep up the good work!

You got this! No doubt in my mind.. :bicycle1:
 
:wave:
I know it is ultra tough on you to keep that patience muscle flexed.
Your body has suffered alot of trauma in a short amount of time but I cannot see it letting you down.
Continued best wishes...
 
Hi @Corey W, unfortunately the area l live has has been hit by flash floods - so not been out this weekend.
The forecast is cold and bright for the rest of the week so
 
2 week update- pain is fading fast. started using tylenol advil rotation exclusively and been reducing those daily. my daily fitbit steps for week 2 averaged 6500/day. 95% of the time on 1 crutch because i committed to 2 weeks. ill try 50% next week! For comparison the first 2 weeks after the last surgery i averaged 10,500 steps per day all unassisted so quite a bit slower ON PURPOSE! I will be on the daily IV of antibiotics for 4 more weeks, but plan on returning to work next week. I hope to start some light PT this week and possibly some stationary cycling at the club. my goal is to limit myself to 8000 steps a day next week and i will be holding back hard as my body is saying GO! I am OK with going slower this time since I want this revision to grow in and the new implant has quite a bit more area for bone to attach. Ill report next week.
 
@Corey W Glad to hear your pain level is down and you are doing well! Less pain is what we all want. Sounds like you are being very mindful and determined.
 
Good update @Corey W! Glad to see you're taking it slow and steady, patience is key but one of the hardest parts of this recovery.

Since you're starting back to work next week you might want to either have a cooler with some ice packs or if you have access to a freezer at work out them there. That way if you get a flare up you have some handy. I know you committed to using a crutch for two weeks but you may want to take it or a cane with you to work, just as a safety measure and to remind those you work with that you aren't quite 100% yet so they don't dump everything on you as soon as you're back.

You're doing great, keep up the good work. :thumb:
 
Corey, you're making me nervous. I'm worried you're pushing it. Is your surgeon aware of the daily steps you're logging at this point? Is he okay with you returning to work already next week?
Gosh, I'd hate to see you screw this up...
@Corey W
 
“” I am OK with going slower this time since I want this revision to grow in and the new implant has quite a bit more area for bone to attach.””

so give it a chance to do so! Please be careful and hope it all works out this time :)
 
I am OK with going slower this time since I want this revision to grow in and the new implant has quite a bit more area for bone to attach.
Have you considered that slower may mean much much slower?please give your body the time to do the work it needs to do.

I had an unexpected complication with my second hip replacement that required a fracture to heal for two months. My limitations were very frustrating but following them resulted in a fully healed break in not too long a time.

All I’m suggesting is to not push it necessarily as much as you’d like or be inclined to do. Your body will heal in it’s own time.

Please be careful.
 
Okay..I am too officially nervous for you also.
:unsure:
started using tylenol advil rotation exclusively and been reducing those daily.
I avoided NSAIDS early in recovery.
I am constantly reading confirmations through research that NSAIDS are not a good choice for recovering hip patients.
FYI - an excerpt:
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0300060517732697
Postoperative drugs
Painkillers are frequently used by patients with hip osteoarthritis. In our experience, most of these drugs are represented by nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). NSAIDs are the least safe of painkillers in terms of osseointegration. NSAIDs impair the osseointegration process of titanium implants by inhibiting cyclooxygenase-2. This results in decreased levels of prostaglandins, which are important in promoting inflammation and supply of bone-formation cells.
my daily fitbit steps for week 2 averaged 6500/day. 95% of the time on 1 crutch because i committed to 2 weeks.
Always be willing to adjust your timelines...I'm glad you feel ready, but please err on the side of caution.
I will be on the daily IV of antibiotics for 4 more weeks, but plan on returning to work next week
:unsure: Energy used for healing needs all the time we can give it. This worries me too.
I hope to start some light PT this week and possibly some stationary cycling at the club. my goal is to limit myself to 8000 steps a day next week
PT, cycling, work...I feel like you are determined not to let this revision to put you in the corner but I do think this is too much too soon.
I'm the resident worry wart...but I do hope you are open to readjusting your "goals" if need be.
 
@Corey W I agree with what @Mojo333 has said about an NSAID and bone integration into the implant. I have seen other articles discussing this, as well.

In my experience, as we get older it takes longer for bones to heal. I was surprised when my arm cast came off and I was given a second, slightly smaller cast for a total of 3 months to heal, and when the last cast came off, I still had pain at the break point for another month. Despite having good bone health and an excellent diet, it still took more time than I imagined to heal a bone in my middle age.

I think pain can serve as a warning you are doing too much.
 
@Corey W , nice report Bru. Happy to hear your pain is fading and that you feel ready to jump back in to life and work. Nothing is gonna get you down, I just love your can do attitude!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom