52 and have to decide by tomorrow for early THR/Resurfacing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Sage,
It's funny that you bring this up, as I was just thinking the same thing a few minutes ago. I have done all of my research and committed to a date, now I think the best thing I can do is literally turn it all off and just trust in the doctors and nurses who will be performing the surgery. The hesitation for me is that I've never had surgery before and I hate the idea of being so completely helpless, but as I said, I think I just have to stop worrying about it and go on auto-pilot until it's all over. I have to congratulate you on being such a good patient though, I dont think I could if I was in the profession and had seen and heard all the horror stories. That must have taken some substantial will-power.

Cheers
John
 
No, not will power at all. Merely the realization that energy spent trying to monitor and control everything that happened was energy better spent on healing. Also that trying to monitor and control mostly doesn't change anything except make me more mentally tired. The doctors, nurses, PTs, OTs, are professionals who I am paying to care the best care they can of me. I decided to trust that they would do just that. And they did.......
 
Many of us spend far less time debating medical therapies that have far less evidence of improving health (cholesterol lowering medication, cardiac stents) than joint replacement.
That's a very interesting point. I've known a number of people who other orthopaedic procedures such a fracture fixation, and never ever investigated options of treatment, never looked into having an external fixator rather than a plate and screws or an intramedullary nail! Perhaps it's because there are no sites like BoneSmart to lay out all the options and manufacturers don't make a habit of advertising them on their websites. But I do know, after years and years in ortho and trauma, not one patient as ever questioned the surgeon's decision regarding what metalware he was intending to use or couldn't he have another manufacturer's product instead of the intended one!
 
I agree... with all of this for sure. I'm not a health care pro... I'm just my own "body pro"as I've lived in it all my life..LOL..., and I think its just all a process we have to go through, with each of us being of different minds, we all have to come to trust and believe in our heath care pros, and that process does take time. Its also easy to get a sensory overload with all the info available, and not be able to shut it off until we're satisfied.. again all different for everyone... so if I'm understanding here... therein might lie part of self imposed burden. I think there's a definite mental aspect for long time sufferers of chronic conditions that plays with our minds...

Denial is very big.. and I'm very guilty of probably every behavior associated with that... and it was hard for me to submit to the ones that wanted to help me... but once I was totally satisfied with my future, life became easier.. and I started looking forward to days of long walks, getting back to things I enjoy, taking better care of myself, rather then dreading another day hobbling/limping/grabbing everything in sight to move about... I'm hopeful the dreaded days are gone for a while.. very thankful.

With said, I'm now in total agreement with the statement "I should have done this years ago"... as I say that now and totally believe it.. Less the 3yrs ago I was different.

I found this site about a week before my surgery, and its a wonderful resource, as you are all real people that are experienced (or about to be) with the process and outcomes.. and it jived perfectly with everything that I've come to believe over the course of my process....

I've read about people having/making choices on the hardware, and the procedure's, type of anesthetic, and its all important, very important of course, but the most important for me was finding my surgeon and just letting him make those choices... as he's done this nearly 4000 times.. and he did my daughters.. that pretty much sealed the deal... but even with that I still had to come to grips with my own journey.

I only hope those in need find what they're looking for and end their suffering.

PS... Here's a feel good for me.. I just went Thanksgiving shopping at the Super Walmart with my wife. yep. Tis true. I feel great. It was just about an hour of strolling slowly... but this is what I got for just trusting and letting the pros do their work... Life is fabulous. Have a great day... I'm going to go have me a rest. :)
 
Update:
I'm scheduled for the 21st, so only a week or so to go. My nervousness levels are increasing daily, but at this point I just want to get it over with.

Any advice on preparing my house for the recovery? I bought one of those grabber things (which my daughter thought was the greatest thing ever) but outside of that, what other tips are there to get the house ready?
 
Remove all trip hazards like scatter rugs or cords. If you have very soft or a very low couch or chair you will need a firm cushion to use this if you have restrictions. Do ask your surgeon's office if any items will be given to you before you are discharged to go home.
 
Glad you're almost there! It will be fine, and you'll do well. It won't be long until you'll be walking up a storm, and you'll want to walk. The amazing part is... you'll want to walk. Did I say you'll want to walk? I'm just kidding around... seriously I think in just a matter of weeks you'll be a new person... and in just a matter of days you'll see definite signs of that beginning, and great progress. Its that good man. You'll love it.

PS... I love those grabber things too.. I still use them for different things. I might suggest a few of them. I've got one in the back yard I use for picking up stuff, and one in the garage I use for reaching high places. Handy things for anyone.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom