Guest viewing is limited

50 and under...

Status
Not open for further replies.
@UACats70.... you may notice that I've moved the post above from mbrown's recovery thread to your own thread. This update on your recovery was off topic there and is more appropriate as a comment on your recovery progress.

When you have arthritis, it can be quite painful to stop anti inflammatory medications prior to surgery. But take heart! Once the arthritis is gone, you will likely not need those NSAIDs. And....it's really better not to be taking them on a regular basis due to the risk of stomach problems. It's just a few more days for you now. Hang in there!!!
 
As further explanation, Cat, on BoneSmart we use the hashtag (#) as a means to create trending topics that pertain to joint replacement. This feature of the forum allows members to go to the Trending Topics block and select a topic so they can read all the posts about that topic. You can see a list of those topics on the forum's index page. By using that hashtag, you created a "topic" in that trending list. Since that topic would not be related to joint replacements, it wouldn't be appropriate there. I hope this makes Jo's action a bit more clear for you.
 
Hi, I just joined, I am a fresh 38 and going in for TKR in Feb. I first broke my tibia wakeboarding when I was 19, it collapsed and rotated due to Dr neglect. I had to have it re broken due to it collapsed and rotated. Unfortunately, that surgery left me unable to bed my knee fully, and my leg was rotated in still. Anyhow, 9 years ago I was told I was bone on bone, during first pregnancy, and have just pushed through pain and disability in life. I have stayed active, taught Zumba, worked as a Forester, hiked, etc within those years but have really been going downhill the last few years. I have 3 kids, 9, 6, 2 and am tired of missing out on things with them. I want to kick the ball and chase my little guy. Walk up my stairs without every fear in my step that my leg is going to collapse in pain. I would love to say yes to a long walk at the river. I dream of hiking adult hikes, dancing salsa, not being inhibited, and enjoying exploring by foot without pain. I just can't keep up anymore since my kids are getting bigger. The time is now for enjoying the fruit of my life.

So, I was excited but nervous that I got a yes to do the surgery at my age. I am very concerned with my expectations for healing, having a toddler at home, and more. I am super independent but don't want to get myself depressed for not planning to need the help like I probably need. I am on the search to find out the reality of this recovery period. Will I be in too much pain to stand and make meals? Driving the kids to ballet and baseball? Should have someone with me to help with my toddler the first week home?

Thanks!
 
@Momto3 I think you should start a pre-op thread of your own with a title that represents your concerns. You'll get advice from many members with that approach.

You will need help with a toddler and probably for more than just a week. This can be a long recovery and one that requires a lot of down time, resting, elevating and icing your new knee. You will not be able to make meals for quite a few weeks. So if you have a freezer you can make and freeze meals if you're so inclined. I'm leaving you with the activity progression chart just to give you an idea of what this recovery looks like. As a teacher my OS suggested I take 12 weeks off and I needed all 12 weeks. There's also a thing called energy drain, which will leave you very tired and that's without taking meds into consideration.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-tkrs.14334/

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/energy-drain-for-tkrs.11953/

Here's another helpful link for moms, you may need to read this a few times with three little ones.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/nurturing-mother-how-to-let-go-and-accept-help.2694/
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If your mother or mother-in-law is nearby I'm sure they'd love to help if able. Maybe a sister or aunt is available? Th more you elevate and ice a TKR the easier your recovery usually is, but over working a new knee with too much activity can slow down the process. This can be extremely difficult for moms of young children, so someone you love and trust can be asset.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Growing up my knees always hurt. I thought everyone's knees hurt. It wasn't until I was in my 40s that I found out that I had a congenital defect that caused my kneecaps to tilt inward. That consequently caused me to end up bone on bone under my kneecap. I tried Synvisc injections but those did not work at all. Finally at 54 a surgeon suggested I have a partial kneecap replacement. Said I was the perfect candidate.

I had it done and it all seemed to go well and I recovered nicely but never got to the point that I was not in pain. Doctor added on more physical therapy but that did not help either.

Finally went in with arthroscopic surgery to "take a look around" for possible scar tissue. Ended up finding torn cartilage in one of my supposed "good" joints left behind. One month of nonweightbearing crutches and another month and a half of PT and recovery and it still wasn't right.

Now 4 years later I am scheduled to have a revision to a TKR for that same knee. It's been a long journey and I'm hoping this will be the final surgery on that knee. Next up the left knee which has the same bone on bone problem. It will most definitely be a TKR on that one!


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Back
Top Bottom