Guest viewing is limited

TKR 5 weeks post tka and feeling frustrated

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Mcdclaims I don't have a burning sensation any longer. My operated knee is still definitely warmer to the touch than the other one. I do ache more when the weather is unsettled. The prickly feeling could be nerves trying to regenerate or possibly even dissolvable sutures that haven't quite dissolved completely yet. Is there any way you can arrange PT for days you don't have to work? Doing both in one day seems like a lot to me. Hang in there!
 
Went back to work part time mon wed fri really need the day off between it has been a great help. I seem to be making good progress rom was over 100 with flexion and ext is between 0 -3. Some days can walk with out the cane and the pain is much less. Still stiffness and tightness is that something that will just disappear with time? Trying very hard not to walk with a limp it feels weird though in my knee when walking with normal gait can feel replacement is that something that will also change over time? Thanks for the support and the answers hope all of you are doing well!! I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel! God is good!
 
Forgot one other thing my knee seems to fall asleep easy also is that everything just trying to heal?
 
Oh how I wish I could answer you about the stiffness and tightness! At this point it is the ONE thing that is driving me crazy. Everything else is getting better or something I can live with but that is just downright stuck! And it feels so discouraging and leaves me wondering will it always be like this? Because of it we can't bend our knee as much as we would like to/need to.

You really need to try to walk as much as possible with a normal gait. I know, easier said than done. I still catch myself limping from time to time and think it is habit more than anything. I'm not really too aware of my implant when walking. If I sit with my leg dangling and move my knee like I'm swinging my leg side to side from the knee down I am definitely aware of it and it feels weird and fake, lol.

My knee hasn't fallen asleep so I'm not sure what that could be other than nerves possibly.
 
Just wondering how long people do pt after a tkr sometimes I think I feel better when I haven't done pt for a few days. I can.say I seem to have a few good days a week. Still have a good amount f swlling after activity. Things seem to be getting easier just at a very slow pace.
 
My OS prescribed 12 weeks to begin with. But then my 2nd TKR got scheduled so I'm just going to PT right up until that one and then to the end of the year which would be something like 7 weeks I think. We'll see if I need to continue into next year. But, I would think something like at least 6 weeks and up to 12 would be "normal".
 
8 weeks today since my tkr flexion is at 105 ext -3 I guess I am headed in the right direction. Pt told me yesterday at this point I half to.keep moving! Which I have been doing went back to work 15 hrs a week plus pt 2 times per.week and find I still need that.day off in betwwnso just wondering what all of you think? Still using cane after pt, still limping at times, still stiff and tight. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated. I really am trying to be patient. Should I be pushing myself more? Doing chores around.house and thinking of going to the grocery store by myself which would be a big accomplishment!
 
@Mcdclaims I think we all just have to find our own right balance of rest and activity. It's really hard! For myself, I push things and then end up paying for it later with increased pain and stiffness. Then I end up trying to rest up and heal from that. So, I don't know the answer for you. But, everything I've read and been told is that at 8 weeks we can still expect to be stiff, tight and in some pain. I think at this point we just have to take everything in moderation and if we don't our knees will let us know. Mine is very, very unhappy with me today after spending 6 hours yesterday painting outside on our house. Maybe try going grocery shopping on your own when you have a short list to fill and see how it goes. I think my first trip on my own was around 5 weeks. Let me tell you by the time I got out of there and got home I was wiped out. Now (9weeks) I can do it with some discomfort and usually still have hubby help me carry everything in and get it put away. Of course it may not help that I tend to do my grocery shopping right after PT. It seems like it feels good to get the walking in after PT but at the same time it adds up and by the time I get home I'm really tired, stiff and hurting. All you can do is try and introduce new activities into your routine and see how it goes but don't go crazy! (((hugs)))
 
Thank you so much Janet for your feedback! I have also called the OS to see what he thinks about aquatic therapy. Six hours of painting that was a huge task. Will keep pushing along thanks again have a restful day!
 
It's still about listening to the knee at 8 weeks.
 
Well I think I might be seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. Thursday night I got up to go the bathroom and all of sudden I was walking without a limp my knee felt pretty good and that lasted until Fri afternoon. After pt a few hrs of work and some grocery shopping it was time to ice, elevate and rest! But it was a great feeling to have some time not feeling so tight and stiff. Now today in Pa it is rather cool and damp and that seems to have affected me tight and stiff and swollen again. But I'll take the little rays of sunshine. Hope everyone has a Blessed sunday!
 
Yay for light! That's fantastic :) We take what we can get, right?
 
Well I had a tough weekend, it was rainy and cold and damp so I sure that had a effect. Just wondering how long the weather is a factor to the new knee? Going into my 9th week and just wondering when things might seem to be somewhat normal? Right now I can a chore and then have to take a break and elevate because of the tightness, swelling. Went to church on sat for the first time and it was hard to sit and stand for an hour without elevating. My Monsignor who has a great sense of humor commented to me it was about time I was back at mass. I'm trying to be patient and I know everyone of us is different just wondering.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[Bonesmart.org] 5 weeks post tka and feeling frustrated
@Mcdclaims, in another 3 weeks, you can start believing that you might get to "normal" again. But it will be about 6 months post op before you really believe that "normal" is in your future. This is a really long recovery, so please just slow down, don't overdo, and realize that you are NOT being patient (most of us have this problem).

"Normal" is coming, but it could be up to a year or more before you really have that feeling---at that point you don't give a lot of thought to your knee. TIME & PATIENCE, TIME & PATIENCE, TIME & PATIENCE is the key--but so hard to embrace.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
With my first knee I'd say it was a barometer for about 6 months.
 
Hello everyone tried to work more hours this week and I guess my knee is not ready I am a practice manager for a medical office and find I cannot sit at my desk for very long my knee does not like to hang down for hours on end. Like 4 hours going into my 10 week and I thought I would be back at work full time have only been working about 18 hrs a week and need a day in between so mon wed fri tried to work back to back and was in a lot of pain yesterday afternoon. Dr said I could go back to work in 6 weeks just wondering when I can work full time again.
Things do seem better some days I don't need a cane but use it for long distance should I still need the cane? This whole process is very humbling and I thought I was a patient person before the tkr but now to a whole new level. Hope everyone else is doing well! Thanks for your thoughts! Have a blessed weekend.
 
@Mcdclaims I just read through your thread and you sure have been through the ringer with your PT. You mentioned your Monsignor kiddingly asked when you are coming back to Mass. Everyone is different but with Mass being almost an hour long it still might be too much for you. I'm only three weeks out and it will be a long time before I go to Mass. I had my first RTKR on December 3, 2012 and that Christmas was the first Christmas that I can remember missing Mass. It was a very long time before I went back since there is a lot of kneeling and that is something that I couldn't do. I remember even a year later I would have to sit back when everyone was kneeling because I could only do it for so long. So don't let any one guilt you into going. Go when you feel you are ready. Hang in there. It does get better......I just have to keep telling myself this during the early stage that I am still in. Anne
 
Are you able to elevate at all at work? If not, do you ice and elevate when you get home? It is normal to still be feeling like you do at 8 weeks, especially with being back at work already. It's good that you don't go in every day.
 
@Mcdclaims I've been reading your thread and I think you are right on track. Tomorrow will be my 5 month anniversary and I still have issues with stiffness (especially on rising from a seated position) and stairs are still a challenge. I have periodic burning on the outer side of my knee which is nerve regeneration. I've asked my PT about these things via email and she assures me these are all normal. Full healing takes a year. And I have read those same comments multiple times on this site - it takes time, be patient. And I am still using Tylenol most days and occasionally tramadol. It's still way better than I was 6 months ago. So if I've put thus much money, time, sleepless nights, sweat and tears into this new knee I will force myself to be patient. In the long run it will be worth it. I think you are right on track and doing great! Take care!
 
Well it's been a little bit since I have posted have been quite ill with my stomach. Apparently all the medicine I have been taking for my tkr has turned my stomach upside down. Couldn't eat to much the last 2 weeks had stomach pain and also a metal taste in my mouth. So my Gastro did an endoscope and my stomach and esophagus were both very inflamed due to all the medication so I'm only taking Tylenol which seems ok. As for the knee it is doing better can sit longer at work can stand been working 5hrs 3 days a week and I'm going to try 8 hrs 3 days this week. I usually work 4 day but don't think I'm ready for my 12 hr days yet. My niece had a baby July 24 Lily and I've only seen her 3 times they live 2 hrs away. I am going to try to make the trip in 2weeks I hope I am up for the drive. I am still having the tightness and stiffness but I feel I can do more also some pain when walking I guess this is all normal. The new knee is still settling in so I do a few things and sit and do some stretching or leg lifts and so on. Really glad for all the support on the site it has meant a lot. Thank you to all of you who have taken the time to share your thought, it is much appreciated. Enjoy this beautiful fall weekend at least here in the northeast. God bless!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom