Guest viewing is limited

TKR 5 weeks post tka and feeling frustrated

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may be tempting to blast your OS, but it probably will not make a difference---but I think I might ask him what Scientific Articles in the Medical arena support extensive pt in the first few weeks of TKA recovery!! I would love to read the studies he uses---or is this his very own bright idea?
 
What I meant by giving him a ear full, not yelling at him but letting him know that his new protocol is a total disaster for the patient. Not only the 7 day extensive pt program but also the change in the pain medication that he prescribes for this surgery. I had a partial replacement on the right knee 2009 and proper medication and pt came to my house for the first month and it was a much easier process. I recognize that every knee is different but for a tka he gave me 5mg of Percocet and tramadol. PT from the 7 day program actually called OS and told him I need a longer acting pain medicine to participate in pt program. So he did give me 7 days of 10mg of oxycontin which helped me tremendously. I have taken the advice given to me the last few days and this is the best I've felt! Also the knee is bending further and easier walking is better also! Also of the mindset that this is going to take as long as it does and at the end of the rainbow I'll be able to golf again! Thank you everyone for you insight it has been quite helpful.
 
I am glad that you are feeling better---both physically and emotionally!

As others have said, it is not about working harder---it is all about working smarter and listening to your knee---the happier your knee is, the less stressful the recovery should be.

Maybe, sometime, your OS will have to have a TKR and will try his horrible regimen---and find out for himself!
 
@Mcdclaims, I would love to know who owns the PT clinic. I know there are laws regulating physician referrals, safe harbors, blah blah, but something smells very fishy about this deal.
 
It is interesting to note how many of our forum members have, unfortunately, undergone (at least for a while) some very intense "gung-ho" types of PT. Many PT's still sadly confuse an athletic type of PT for TKR and BTKR patients---and wonder why this grueling type of PT is not getting the appropriate results.
 
@Mcdclaims ... could I ask you please to create a signature with your surgery date in it? Here are instructions on how to do that:

Mouse hover over your username at the top right of the screen. Choose Create a Signature from the drop down menu. Then type in your date and whatever other pertinent information you'd like to have appear in each of your posts.

It is important to do this so we can easily see how far out from surgery you are. As your recovery thread grows, it's just too difficult to keep looking back to see the date.

I'm so glad that you're following a gentler path and feeling better. I don't know what this surgeon's deal is, but quite frankly we've had great success over many years here with the BoneSmart mantra.
 
When does the stiffness go away? Had a very good day yesterday and today stiff as a board I have been elevating and icing all day. Did my stretching it seems when I sleep it I don't keep my leg straight next day I have trouble? Any suggestions I'm seeing OS tomorrow 6 week check.
 
The visiting nurse or PT, I can't remember which, said that first thing in the morning is a tough time. You are stiff and the knee is generally painful. I'm only a week out, so I don't know the rest of the story.
 
When does the stiffness go away? Had a very good day yesterday and today stiff as a board
To be honest, my stiffness lasted for months---I still had a slight limp at about five months, and then, one day, everything came together.

You have to be patient---most people take about four-six months to really get to be feeling pretty close to normal--some take a longer time.

It took me six months to get to 80%-85%, and it was not until about eight months that I was around 90% -95%.

I was the opposite---I woke up and felt pretty good and loos, but by the end of the day, I was stiff and sore.

The other point about the TKR recovery is that it is very much like a roller coaster rid---you will have some very good days, and then, for some reason, you will feel stiff and sore.

Eventually, the good days become more and more often, and the clunker days tend to disappear.
 
[Bonesmart.org] 5 weeks post tka and feeling frustrated

Patience, Grasshopper, Patience.
 
The OS needs a good talking to! That is craziness to do that to someone who just had a knee replacement. I'm so sorry you had to endure that. It seems like you are on the right track now. You cannot ice too long or too often. It really feels good and helps tremendously with the swelling and when the swelling is down your knee bends better. I'm a little over 7 weeks post op now and trust me, my knee is still plenty stiff. It has remained my biggest complaint. I'm going to attach a picture of my sleeping "nest" I have set up on my sofa. It allows elevation while keeping legs straight. You might try something similar since you are having a hard time getting your leg to straighten in the mornings. I've slept here, this way, every night since I've been home and have never had a problem with my leg straightening in the morning. I had the same medication as you upon release from the hospital only my oxy was written to take every 6 hours :yikes: instead of 4. I alternated the oxy and Tramadol so really I was getting something every 3 hours. I managed to get through it. Now I'm only taking Tramadol anywhere from 1 to 3 times a day and getting along pretty well pain wise.
[Bonesmart.org] 5 weeks post tka and feeling frustrated
 
Thank you all for your support and suggestions so glad I found this forum it has been most helpful during a very stressful time in my life. I saw the OS today for my 6 week check he said everything looks great and when I told him the 7 day program was a bit much he said yes sometimes the pt can be a bit aggressive. I told his NP about this forum as it has been very helpful with post surgical questions that the OS seem to forget to tell their patients not all but most. Now I know that slow and steady wins in this situation. I am going to try and go back to work on Monday 4 hrs a day 3days a week and see how it goes. I will also resume my pt but at a much slower pace not 75 mins of exercise. Thanks again for all the support and suggestions that have really helped me turn the corner in what was a very frustrating experience to now I know to take it one day at a time and to expect peaks and valleys and am mentally in a much better place. The 7 day program had me so crazy about my rom it had me thinking I was never going to get to where I needed to be. They never said a swollen knee won't bend! Enough ranting I can't thank you all enough! Enjoy your weekend!
 
You may have already planned this, but try not to do PT on the days you also work. That would likely be a bit much for the knee.
 
Starting to have a good amount of pain at the top of my knee where it meets the quadriceps, if it wasn't for that starting to feel much better any ideas of what might be happening?
 
You may have already planned this, but try not to do PT on the days you also work. That would likely be a bit much for the knee.
I agree---your work will be your PT---and if you compound work and PT, you will most likely force the issue with your knee, and the knee will win.
 
That pain is very common and can hang around a while. Be sure you are icing that area and taking something for the pain. It is nothing serious....normal surgical pain. Be careful starting back to work. It could be a challenge for you even to do that partial schedule.
 
That pain is very common and can hang around a while. Be sure you are icing that area and taking something for the pain. It is nothing serious....normal surgical pain. Be careful starting back to work. It could be a challenge for you even to do that partial schedule.

This is an excellent point---while it might seem that you are far enough removed from surgery to get away from the icing, I would continue to ice as necessary---ice is your best friend now and for some time to come.
 
Thanks again for all the support and recommendations! I do continue to ice multiple times a day, also resting the leg and elevating when not doing something. This am seems as though I'm walking better but is doesn't take long before the tightness and stiffness settles in, is that all normal and will that get worse with more movement? I know I have a ways to go but every little milestone is very rewarding these days! Took a short drive today with my hubby and I was driving for some reason I'm very nervous about driving and it was my left knee. But I survived and that also was a good feeling! Thank you to all of you here at bonesmart and have a great sunday!
 
Yes, the stiffness and tightness after being up on your leg awhile is normal. During the past week it has gotten somewhat better for me. I seem to be able to be up a little longer before it sets in. You're a week behind me so maybe your day is coming soon too. It still does it but at first 5-10 minutes was all it took. Then 15-20, etc. and now I'm up to probably close to an hour before it gets really annoying and I have to sit and ice and elevate. Congrats on driving!
 
Well I went back to work on Mon for 4 hrs and did pt and worked 4 hrs on Tues and my pain was thru the roof last night! I haven't taken oxycontin 10mg for a few weeks and had to take it last night. Not working again till Friday. I have noticed that when it's going to rain I get a terrible burning sensation is that normal? Wondering when things are going to get better? The tightness, stiffness also my scar when I bend my knee it has a picky feeling any suggestions? I have been massaging my knee also on the scar to break up the tightness under scar.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom