THR 5 weeks post THR<

Yesterday was the 8th week post op. I still think I have a lot to do before feeling totally independent.
I'm still learning to walk without a limp. Yesterday I spent about an hour practicing my walk without cane, and I made a just a small progress. I still feel my muscles are not pulling my leg right. So, after a walk, I took on exercising, squats, leg raises (which is very very very difficult for me), clam shell exercise, side leg lift. Around bedtime I felt some soreness around my incision (which I never had before). This morning back to exercising, and then back of my thigh swell, along with soreness in front around my incision. I couldn't walk without my cane, since it felt uncomfortable, so I took on ice. I have been icing it for over two hours now.. I'm so worried, especially when reading other people's testimonials (unfortunate events) like infection, implant failure etc. How would one know that there is really something wrong and alarming? What was the sign/symptom that made you think "this is it, it's wrong"

Thanks in advance
 
Dust, am I reading this correctly? You walked for an hour, and then moved on to doing a bunch of exercises, at least one of which is very difficult for you? Then at night you had new soreness. But the next morning you were right back to exercising?

And looking back at your whole thread, I see that you've had various pains from the start, and each time you brought that up, Jo suggested that you stop all the exercises. I'm curious to know if you have actually tried taking a week or so off from all this intense activity to allow yourself to just heal. If you did, did it get better? And then did it get worse again after you resumed all that walking and PT exercises?

You are only 8 weeks out!! That's a tiny blip in the healing process, which takes at least a full year...and often more. It's not just your incision that has to heal. So much soft tissue was disturbed during surgery, and if you keep it chronically inflamed, it will just get angrier. That's how we end up with a miserable tendonitis that can be very hard to reverse.

I hope I don't sound scolding. It sounds to me like you have been too active too soon all along. If you cut out ALL this activity....limit yourself to short walks (maybe 10 minutes or so) throughout the day instead of one long intense walking without a cane practice session, and skip all the exercising....then in a week or so, you ought to feel a lot better. Then you increase activity very slowly and gradually, so you don't re-injure yourself all over again.

You will regain all your strength in due time, so the PT you are struggling to do now will still be available later if you really need it. Right now it sounds like it is hurting, not helping. You are not training for a marathon, or rehabbing an injury. You are healing from major surgery. And all the pain you are describing sounds to me like your body is telling you that you are doing way too much, way too soon.

@Jaycey and @alexthecat Can you add any insights here too?

Sharon
 
I have days when I don't do any kind of exercise, besides walking. And even then, I don't walk much at all. I have been only trying to work towards strengthening of my leg muscles, so I wouldn't end up with the permanent limp. I have been limping for years and my muscles have nothing as my non operated side. You're right, I guess I'm trying too much too soon. I spent the rest of my day and evening with ice under my leg.
And no, you're not scolding, and even if you were, I'll take it :) I truly appreciate you and everyone here.
Tomorrow is a new day, I'll take it nice and easy, will update on my progress later.
 
@Dust too much too soon! I agree with Sharon. All this exercising is counter productive. Leg raises and clam exercises are tough for new hippies.

If you are trying to get rid of the limp just walking will do that. Use the cane until you are totally confident and you have no discomfort walking without it. You can't correct something you have done for years overnight. Slow and steady. You'll get there!
 
I really don't have much to add to Sharon's excellent explanation. I think you understand that you aren't going to be able to force your hip to heal more quickly. I would suggest giving up the squats and clamshells for now, as those are probably contributing to the swelling and discomfort you are experiencing now. Really, you don't need any of those exercises right now.

The limp will improve gradually on its own, even without all the exercises. The cane is a tool to help your body learn to walk correctly. In the long term, is a good idea to use it as long as you are still limping. If you're ready for a little less support, a hiking pole might be an option for you.
 
14 weeks today, I slipped and fell. I was able to stand up, and felt no pain in my hip, only sore muscle. Luckily my OS was able to see me immediatelly and X-ray was done. No abnormalities, but my bottom and my thigh do ache, as well as my lower leg, below my knee. OS said to ice it a lot, which I do. I just can't believe that I was not carefull.. I hate myself for it and now I'm petrified to go out and walk.
I'm sorry, just came here to vent, and to advise everyone to be carefull.
 
@Dust, falling is a big fear of mine. So sorry you had one and are now afraid to go for a walk! Glad you got good news from the doc and x-ray. I haven't fallen since my THR, but every time I make a misstep or do something a bit careless, I get reminded big-time about the need for caution. I'm sure you will be more careful and spend more time looking down at the ground while walking now. Take good care!
 
@Dust Oh, so sorry that you fell! I am concerned about that too! As I gain strength I am still very cautious
About where I am walking. After my first hip was done I did the simple exercises postop but did not push it. In fact, after my second hip was done, I was just plain reluctant to do much at all. Josephine explains over and over that hips heal on their own if given half a chance and I believe her!
 
I hate myself for it and now I'm petrified to go out and walk.
No, no, no - please do not beat yourself up. We have all had that first fall. In most cases all that is damaged is the ego. Just a reminder that slips and falls do happen and we need to be a bit mindful of this.

You will probably be sore in many places in the next few days. Ice and elevate and do rest. The shock of a fall can take it out on you.

You take care and do keep us updated!
 
:doggie:I am nearly 5 weeks post op and I'm worried about falling or being knocked over by my big boisterous pup. I'm very careful where I walk and where my dog is as he does sneak up behind me at full speed! So sorry you've had this setback but don't be afraid to take up walking again it seems a lot of people have a fall and still don't do any lasting damage so try not to worry ( I know that's easier said than done ). Heres hoping you get back on track soon and this will be in the past ( hugs ):dogwalk:
 
Thank you so much everyone, I feel blessed for having you telling me that. It has been 24 hrs since the fall and I still walk fine, no pain thanks Goodness, only some off and on soreness around my thigh and bottom. Living without the constant hip pain makes you forget about being cautious, so I guess God reminds us with these minor accidents, that we still have to take care of ourselves so the major one would be prevented.
 
Hello everyone, it has been 15 months since my surgery, and it's going great! I have been walking with no limp since, something I haven't been able to do for 25 years.

I do have a little worry, and I was hoping that @Josephine or someone else knowledgeable, would be able to answer.

Five days ago I went for a 2 mile walk. Since then, I have started to feel ache in my groin and my butt. It does not hurt when I walk, it is not a pain, just an annoying ache, that I had for so long before my surgery. Is it a muscle or my hip? Please help and thank you!
 
@Jaycey, I'm a nurse and I'm used to walk quiet a bit, but then again maybe not 2 miles without a break. I hope it's just muscles. Should I be concerned?
 
Should I be concerned?
Every hippie experienced various aches and pains when trying anything new. I would not be concerned unless this gets worse or does not ease with rest.

Have you carried anything heavy recently or moved anything like furniture. That always aggravates my hips.
 
@Jaycey , I don't remember carrying anything heavy. I have been careful when moving patients in bed, and only thing that I can think of is that 2 mile walk. I will watch it for sure, I hope and pray to God that is not my implant giving me trouble. Thank you for support and advice, I truly appreciate it
 
Jaycey said it! Can't improve on that wisdom.
 
Hi @Dust. We had our left hips done around the same time. My hip has been doing very well, but last August/September I started increasing my walking and my speed, going for 2-3 miles every day. Hips started feeling tight, occasionally groin pain. While in Arizona daily walk included a nice steep hill. Hips got tight, butt hurt, etc. figured I was just out of shape. I think part of it was that darned piriformis, and bursitis from overdoing. The other part became apparent in October when right hip started hurting while driving, and then the groin and then I said “this is how the left hip started.”

Os says left still looks solid. I had started favoring right hip without realizing it and that was impacting my left leg. If you continue to have issues, get it checked (I knew I had a bad right hip, I was just hoping it wouldn’t act up for like 30 years).

Your case may simply be overdoing it. I did find the stretches in the library helped the piriformis stuff (and ice!). May want to give them a try.
 
Hello everyone, it's my 2 year anniversary and I have been doing great. I do have a question though. A few days ago I have been starting to have aches and soreness to my butt and side of my thigh, both on operated side. I know for sure that I haven't been doing anything to aggravate it, so I have no idea why is the pain starting al of a sudden. It hurts only when I sit or lay down, no pain when ambulating. Did anyone experience this? Thank you in advance :)
 
Back
Top Bottom