MUA 5 weeks Post op TKR

Oh yes, we have seen this over and over again and I'm so sorry to read that you are going through it. Aggressive PT for 5 days is causing your knee to be more inflamed and not helping your ROM at all. You are swelling and you can't bend a swollen knee. I suggest you stop all PT and exercising and let your daily activities be your only exercise. Your knee needs to settle down from the MUA. All those healing soft tissues were forced to bend more than they were ready to be bent. That's why you have more pain and swelling. Ice and elevate every time you are sitting or laying down.
 
I am icing very frequently and didn’t go to PT today due to the pain of my knee. I am looking into massage therapy and want to get any kind of input about that! It has good reviews and seems to be a much better choice option than trying to push my knee into doing things that seems so difficult. My PT was trying to have me leg lift 20lbs and although that seems like a small amount, it was VERY difficult to get leg to move hardly with that amount. This is all so confusing to me. My thoughts would definitely be to ice elevate and rest. I just don’t want my scar tissue to settle back in or my leg to get stiff and not want to move!!
 
My PT was trying to have me leg lift 20lbs and although that seems like a small amount, it was VERY difficult to get leg to move hardly with that amount. This is all so
That seems insane to me given your stage of recovery. I only started using tiny 1Kg ( 2.2lbs) weights at about 4-5 months during glute strengthening pilates sessions. I have been very gentle with my recovery and have a really mobile knee ( 145+ flexion/ 0 extension).
I think there is a risk that heavy weights early on will cause injury and pain.
 
20 pounds!!!!???? OMG. That will definitely reinjure traumatized soft tissues .....

When I was four months out on my LTKA, I was using 5 pound ankle weights, slowly and with good body mechanics, once weekly to work my quads (in addition to walking, ADLs, etc.).

With my new RTKA, last week my PT wanted to put 4 pound weights on me at 6 weeks to begin strengthening. I was adamant about No Weights and severely limited the repetitions of every exercise that session to ensure not overdoing it.

Trust your instincts. And use your words!
 
I am going to look into massage therapy tomorrow and back off of the pt! My knee is super stiff and aches when I try and walk on it. I am continuing to ice and elevate but hoping this will help.
 
If you want to try massage, I would ask for something very light. Your leg has been so traumatized, between the surgery, PT, the MUA, and more PT, that I honestly think it needs some time to “just be”, to relax and heal. The more I think about it, if it was me, I’d wait on the massage. Even a gentle massage at this point is still a certain amount of stimulation. Give it a couple of weeks, then try a very light massage. I know that my body is very sensitive, so many times, for me, less is more.
 
Good to hear that you're stepping back from PT. Twenty pounds must have felt like torture. I am sorry you're hurting. I believe massage therapy will bring you some comfort. Without PT and more elevating / icing, hopefully you'll be feeling better soon.

If you haven't already searched, here is a link to other MUA threads for you to read if interested,
MUA
Wishing you comfort. :console2:
@mxmotomom381
 
If you want to try massage, I would ask for something very light. Your leg has been so traumatized, between the surgery, PT, the MUA, and more PT, that I honestly think it needs some time to “just be”, to relax and heal. The more I think about it, if it was me, I’d wait on the massage. Even a gentle massage at this point is still a certain amount of stimulation. Give it a couple of weeks, then try a very light massage. I know that my body is very sensitive, so many times, for me, less is more.
I (a certified massage junkie and a regular recipient of body work for decades) totally agree that any massage of the affected leg and hip should be incredibly light AND done by someone with years of experience.
However, a general massage, done while lying on the back and/or on the unaffected side with the surgical leg supported on a thick foam wedge or two pillows, might be a good way to ease lots of tension being held in the rest of the body, promoting relaxation and healing.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I love all the support and comments that I have received from everyone!!! Truly amazing!!! Wish I would’ve searched sooner to find this sight at the very beginning of my surgery May 23, 2023. I definitely would have taken a different approach than what I have done. I was only doing what my doctor instructed—-starting with the 3 days a week of Pt and when it didn’t work as planned, I went for the MUA July 28,2023 with PT everyday for 2 weeks following (which I have went for 3 days because I took today off because of the pain in my knee).
 
Aggressive therapy on a new surgical area just doesn't make sense to me. Your MUA is also considered surgery so it should be treated with lots of TLC! I'd hold off on any touching of your knee for at least a few weeks. Having a massage on the rest of your body should help to relax you, but hands off of that knee area!
 
Woke up today and have decided I’m not going to PT anymore!! My husband says I need to continue going so I don’t have the scar tissue set back in but I feel like ALL I have done isn’t helping at all! I’m not progressing at all in my eyes!! I feel like everyday I wake up I’m at say one!!! UGH!!! This is definitely depressing!! My knee cap feels like it’s cracking when I put weight on my leg!! Am I doing this wrong? Have I done something that’s ruined this process? I get up each day and start out with icing and elevating. Then I will do my house chores. I have a stationary bike, and I have a weight machine that I have bands on it that I can do stretching squats. And I have a yoga band that I can stretch my leg with to try and bend my knee. I just don’t want to NOT do enough to where my knee doesn’t bend like it should in the end. I feel like a broken record but I just feel like I’m at a dead end.
 
Woke up today and have decided I’m not going to PT anymore!! My husband says I need to continue going so I don’t have the scar tissue set back in but I feel like ALL I have done isn’t helping at all! I’m not progressing at all in my eyes!! I feel like everyday I wake up I’m at say one!!! UGH!!! This is definitely depressing!! My knee cap feels like it’s cracking when I put weight on my leg!! Am I doing this wrong? Have I done something that’s ruined this process? I get up each day and start out with icing and elevating. Then I will do my house chores. I have a stationary bike, and I have a weight machine that I have bands on it that I can do stretching squats. And I have a yoga band that I can stretch my leg with to try and bend my knee. I just don’t want to NOT do enough to where my knee doesn’t bend like it should in the end. I feel like a broken record but I just feel like I’m at a dead end.
Good for you!
The PT and stretching squats and forcing things with yoga bands are traumatizing surgically injured soft tissue, so yes in that sense you *are* back at day 1 every day. Walking and light household chores and puttering within comfortable limits may be best.
 
I have a weight machine that I have bands on it that I can do stretching squats. And I have a yoga band that I can stretch my leg with to try and bend my knee. I just don’t want to NOT do enough to where my knee doesn’t bend like it should in the end.
You shouldn't be using these this soon after your MUA. All you are doing is keeping your knee inflamed and swollen. Your soft tissues have to heal, not only from the trauma of the MUA but also from your TKR that you had less than 3 months ago. You need to let your knee heal inside. The MUA set your recovery way back and your soft tissues need very gentle movements only, not strength-building or forced movements.
 
and I have a weight machine that I have bands on it that I can do stretching squats.
Go easy with weights or resistance bands.
I didn't use any until about 5 months and I have really good ROM. (145+/ 0)
Have a look at pilates, which is what I use to gently stretch and strengthen my knee.
My teacher, who is excellent has loads of free classes on YouTube- Google Katja pilates. There is a side lying glutes one with no squats or kneeling for post injury. If you can't get down on the floor yet - most of it can be adapted to lying on the bed. Just fold your yoga mat to make the bed firmer.
 
It's too soon for "house chores" too. You're doing too much too soon! Your knee is still healing from the trauma of the MUA. I know your hubby thinks his advice is helping you, but he's not exactly an expert in joint replacement recovery and may not understand that keeping your knee overworked actually can contribute to adhesions (not really "scar tissue"). When the tissues that are normally very moist and glide easily over one another stay hot with inflammation, it is easier for them to dry out and stick together where they shouldn't. Please allow yourself time to heal from this procedure. It is VERY traumatic on your tender knee.....not just simple bending and stretching. A lot of force is placed on your joint to break up any adhesions (assuming you had them).
 
So another question I have is I am 2 months and 2 weeks post op. Some days I need my cane others I don't, but I do limp all the time so just wondering if this is normal. Trying to emphasize my walking skill as I walk, but it’s a slow process and takes me a long time it seems to do anything.
 
Hi mxmotomom,
We do recommend that you use an assistive device for as long as you're limping.
Here’s a tip -
Try heel-toe walking when you're limping.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe. It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Here is a visual.
[Bonesmart.org] 5 weeks Post op TKR
 
Yes I do walk heal to toe but with a slight limp and very slow but is that normal at my stage or should I be walking with no issues
 
Yes I do walk heal to toe but with a slight limp and very slow but is that normal at my stage or should I be walking with no issues
Slow and steady. In terms of soft tissue trauma, the MUA reset you to a new, later post op Day 1 and your knee is not even two weeks postop.
 
I agree with mendogal. When you had your MUA, most of the healing inside your knee from your surgery was set back to the date of your MUA. This procedure is extremely traumatizing to a baby knee, which yours was and is now even an infant again.

Since you are limping even while using the cane, you need to go back to the walker until your limp is gone. Muscles have memory and you don't want them to remember your limp! Walk very slowly, adding equal weight to both knees and your muscles will heal more normally.

I had used a cane for over 20 years before my TKR and was really difficult to not limp without using it after my latest surgery. It was probably a good 6 months before I trained myself to not limp, but I finally did and don't limp today on that leg!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom