TKR 5 weeks post LTKR

I got online and ordered some pills for sciatica. I don't know if they helped or time. I also found some exercises for it. Again, I don't know if they helped or not, but it did go away.
 
I had extreme back pain. It hurt worse than the knee. I am much better now at 11months, but my back is still worse than before surgery. I have used acupuncture, massage, chiropractic, PT, and lots of abdominal work. As soon as I get up in the morning, I walk a mile befor coffee, etc. This helps. I still get monthly massage. I function pretty well, but if I spend too much time standing, or if I sit in a straight-back chair, or it’s a bad day, my back pain interferes with my function. I can no longer sleep on my back. I still am positive about the experience even though it was no panacea. I can do most of what I want to do. It’s hard to sort out how to deal with pain, but at this point, I’ve accepted it and don’t think it means anything. I was in pain before, and my knee would have continued to deteriorate. I’m in pain now, but things are getting better
 
Thank you both for your replies. I hate to take prednisone to calm this down, but that’s what my spine dr usually prescribes to calm down a severe flare-up.
 
Thank you, Susieshoes! Had no idea how to chg title. Thank you for taking time to help.
 
I saw surgeons PA yesterday for 4 wk follow up. Took all tape off, incision looks good. Still lots of bruising around knee and swelling, but PA said I can discontinue PT outside home and continue with my own paced PT. Flex = 122, ext =-1. Sciatica pain-still off the chart, causing tears sleepless nights. PA gave me steroid pack to try to reduce this inflammation on the SI nerve. I see my Dr Monday who treats me for disc issues. L3-L5 bulging, pressing on SI nerve has been problematic for years. Anyone else have Sciatica issues begin to roar while rehabbing TKR?
 
Anyone else have Sciatica issues begin to roar while rehabbing TKR?
Not while rehabbing TKR but post my LTHR I had very severe sciatica. I have a history of lower spine problems and my LTHR really aggravated my back. My first walk post op was horrid - almost fell due to the sciatic pain. Ice helped a bit.

I finally started seeing an osteopath who "unlocked" my SI joints and did some acupuncture. I also had a PT who was a spinal specialist. He did deep massage for several weeks. It hurts like crazy at first but once the areas are released it's magic.

I do hope you can get this resolved. It's just no fun at all!
 
I, too, have a doctor who told me that he would not prescribe any pain meds beyond 90 days because he does not want me to become addicted. I sit on the Board of a Recovery Program. I have had 7 major surgeries and have had pain meds after each one. I never was addicted. After talking to him I felt like a street junkie. I am in severe pain and he told me to handle it and he will see me in a year. I have what feels like a band around each knee and it is causing me to stop in the middle of things. I am in so much pain at night that I cannot sleep. I have never been dependent on pills. I am very active and I refused pain medication before I had the surgeries even though I was told that I was bone on bone. I did not take anything because I was driving my great grandson to school, scouts and baseball. I am his primary caregiver and did not want to drive impaired. It does not matter how solid a citizen you are. If you have pain you are treated like a junkie. My husband has Stage 4 Prostate Cancer. I am blessed that he has no pain right now. I am afraid of what will happen when he does have pain. Doctors need to get a clue and handle each patient on a case by case basis. Thanks for letting me vent.

Preach it, girl! It’s crazy how some docs -my doc - knows I’m in 7 or 8 level pain and just decides I “shouldn’t be” so he refuses to prescribe anymore. He makes the decision without seeing or talking to me. It makes me so furious! Docs are robotically treating acc to government guidelines and not acc to the actual patient needs.
 
Hi all!
Tomorrow is 5 weeks post op LTKR and am doing better each day. Did 2 weeks of in home PT, which was sooooo painful. Then did 2.5 weeks of outpatient PT. Was so lucky to have a great PT, who was very gentle, bu we made great progress. He used massage along with stretching to achieve great results. At last measurement, I have 122 flex and -1 extension. Still have pain and am icing several times a day to help with swelling. Am doing my own PT, since my dr released me from outpatient PT. Using an elipital (only 3 min, can’t do anymore )and am up to 15 min on stationery bike. Weather has been beautiful so walking too. Still get VERY tired, with not much exertion, but I understand this is common.

Biggest problem is sciatic pain. Saw spine dr on Monday. Knee ortho had already prescribed prednisone pack, which I had finished on Monday. Spine dr prescribed gabepentin for nerve pain, hopefully that will help, along with PT to try to work on Sciatica. Sciatica pain is awful and is keeping me awake most nights. Have alternated heat and ice to try to relieve. Anyone else dealing with this issue?

I feel frustrated at times because I’m not healing as quickly as I thought I would. But, after reading so many other posts, I understand I need to be more patient.

Thank you all for sharing your recovery. I’ve learned so much from you all.
 
I too have had very bad sciatica that started just a few days after surgery. My narcotics don't seem to touch it. Fortunately I have a TENS unit that really helps a lot. I wear four pads on my left back, the first set just below my waist and the second set a few inches below the first. It's been a lifesaver.
 
Thank you, katchmo. I have a tens unit. Didn’t think of using, but I will tomorrow!!
 
The TENS unit is a great idea. Josephine is a huge fan of TENS. I’ve never used one, but respect all the rave reviews.

Just going to suggest one thing: stop the elliptical for a little while. Try it again in a week or so. I love the elliptical, but three minutes really isn’t doing you any good anyway. If that’s all your knee can stand, it’s not quite ready for that. So listen to your knee, give it a break, and do the exercises it is liking right now. That might decrease your swelling and pain. Remember knee rehab is a long game. No need to push.

I know it feels like you’re not healing quickly enough, but... you are! You’ve got great ROM, are walking and using the bike, and are only a little more than a month out of surgery. That’s a stellar recovery in my book. :wowspring:
 
Thanks Susie. I will stop elliptical for now.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom