TKR 5 weeks post LTKR

@Whatdidido, thank God you have some pain relief finally. I like that you are going to followup on this miscommunication about your pain meds. No one should have to go through what you did! God bless you and give you a good, peaceful healing!
 
I'm so happy to hear that you got the pain med situation worked out! Hopefully the PA gets reamed out by the surgeon and learns something. And you have saved someone else from being treated this way.
 
You really have to be firm with them; sometimes these people act like idiot flunkies when they really should be listening to the patients. During my hospital stay for TKR in November, they managed the pain beautifully. What they didn't do so well was pay attention to other meds I was taking. One nurse told me that they were going to substitute one med for another and I knew I couldn't take the substitute med. I had brought my own tabs to the hospital because I'd been warned by one of my docs that they would try to do the sub. I told them in no uncertain terms that I was not able to take the sub, that I brought my own. They had a cow over it, but I told them that they were wrong and if they wanted to argue it, we'd call my other doctor (not the surgeon) and have a conversation. I was ready with my cell phone and everything. They backed down. I shouldn't have had to do that, but when it came to it, I was ready, pain-free, and didn't care what they thought of me. FWIW, I'm 64 and don't care what they think as long as they do the right thing.

Anyway, I am so glad you got the meds you needed. Sleep well!
 
Hello all! Three weeks postop with LTKR and doing really well. Working hard to rehab and have ROM Of 115 and able to walk unassisted. Don’t get me wrong, moving slowly, pain still and swelling but able to manage. I get VERY tired very easily, but am patient with myself and for once, am allowing myself to listen to my body and take time to rest as needed. I see DR this week and am excited to get a good report, I hope. Look forward to hearing your updates!
 
You are NOT being a big baby! You’ve just had major surgery. If you live in the US, the Opiod crisis has completely changed how these Docs are handling pain management and unfortunately to the detriment of people like ourselves who genuinely need it. During My experience with this surgery, I have found that I really need to be a vocal advocate for my health and my healthcare plan. Listen to your body. Each day, or few days, you will be amazed how it heals itself and you can do more. Your care team, including your Dr and PT, can help you navigate, but again, listen to your body and share how you are feeling, your progress, and what you need. I am four and a half weeks out and still take a pain med to sleep at night and one at some point in the day. A heck of a lot less than the 12 per day I took the first week! I enjoy the outpatient PT because I get to talk with providers about how I am doing, talk with other knee patients about how their recovery is going, and there is just so much more equipment to use than what’s at home. I’m very fortunate that I do t have anyone that is applying extra pressure to get my knee to bend, they use gravity with wall slides and wedges and it has responded beautifully. So it’s worked for me.
Again, you are doing great for where you are and there is a lot of great info and community in this forum.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
@Whatdidido - so glad things are improving. I’m glad you were able to advocate for yourself. The ridiculousness of attitudes toward adults taking pain meds is insane.

@Space Knee - in Switzerland, we bring our own meds to the hospital in their blister packs with a Med schedule signed by our family doctor. So everyone knows what we are taking and prepare for interactions. Then the ortho folk give us pain meds.
 
I get VERY tired very easily
Well, you're only 2½ weeks out yet so fatigue is to be expected. Did you read the articles Bottomshollow left you in the second post of this thread?

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Thank you bethsail for positive response. It just seems that at about day 13 postop, my knee started to turn a corner. Tough getting there, but ever since, have been making progress each day. Still icing.
 
How wonderful that you are doing better! Yes, our knees do turn a few corners on this journey. Each one leads to a better place. :flwrysmile:
 
Whew, can I ever relate to your initial problems with doctors under-prescribing pain meds! I’m nine weeks out from a TKR and still in enough pain to require pain medication, but getting a refill has been made into a rather humiliating experience. One gets the feeling, here in the U.S. anyway, that everyone in the chain - from the triage nurse to the pharmacist - is assuming you are a drug addict or peddling your pain meds on the street corner. Like everyone is saying here, we all acknowledge the seriousness of the huge opioid crisis, but I wish someone in the media would report on the other side of this issue: those who truly need pain relief, take meds only as prescribed, and eagerly await the day when our pain is gone. It’s also frustrating that they seem to treat everyone the same in this regard, not considering past medical histories. I’ve had more than 20 surgeries, including 12 orthopedic procedures, and have never had an addiction problem, but they don’t take that into consideration. Arggggh! But of course, the more we try to point out how messed up the system has become, the more we look like druggies, so I’ve yet to see a media report focusing on the “true need” side of this issue.
I’ll climb off my soapbox now and say I am glad to read you are doing much better now than when you first posted. We’ll all hang in there together. This too shall pass.
 
I understand your situation. I too went in for partial knee replacement and read up all about it. Woke up to a full knee replacement which I was not ready for. I also had lots of pain that really wasn’t touched by meds, not even Tramadol. I spent the first 6 weeks in my own bed next door to my husband with a toilet nearby. It meant I could distract myself from the pain with reading, puzzles, movies and once I found it the Bonesmart website. I found out through Josephine I was taking meds that weren’t really helping but it was a case of taking anything I could so I had something every 2 to 3 hours. I think it helped psychologically!! I am still not pain free but the pain is more bearable. I now take 8 Tramadol, 8 Paracetamol, 3 Gabapentin and 3 -10mg slow release Zomorph with the understanding I reduce my Tramadol which I am managing. I am down to 4 in 24 hours. I am still waking at night but sleeping much better and certainly better than pre op. Pain is worse at night(always is!). I constantly elevate during the day and every time I do I Ice! I use gel pads from the freezer they are the best pain relief!! Take care of yourself, take it easy, don’t do too much but live life cause it’s gonna be good.
 
Anyone who goes in for a partial and wakes up with a total is lucky. I got the partial and it’s an overrated, litterally, experience. I so wish I’d ended up with the total.

Recovery is the same as a total and many have to be converted to total , so this whole recovery has to be repeated. I don’t want to repeat it!

I am 11 months post op and no where near recovered. All the promotions about the benefits of partials are wrong.
 
I, too, have a doctor who told me that he would not prescribe any pain meds beyond 90 days because he does not want me to become addicted. I sit on the Board of a Recovery Program. I have had 7 major surgeries and have had pain meds after each one. I never was addicted. After talking to him I felt like a street junkie. I am in severe pain and he told me to handle it and he will see me in a year. I have what feels like a band around each knee and it is causing me to stop in the middle of things. I am in so much pain at night that I cannot sleep. I have never been dependent on pills. I am very active and I refused pain medication before I had the surgeries even though I was told that I was bone on bone. I did not take anything because I was driving my great grandson to school, scouts and baseball. I am his primary caregiver and did not want to drive impaired. It does not matter how solid a citizen you are. If you have pain you are treated like a junkie. My husband has Stage 4 Prostate Cancer. I am blessed that he has no pain right now. I am afraid of what will happen when he does have pain. Doctors need to get a clue and handle each patient on a case by case basis. Thanks for letting me vent.
 
Glad you are turning a corner! I knew you would. Barbara811, I too was made to feel like a junkie five days post op when I realized I would run out of pain meds five days before my two week appointment and politely and professionally asked for a refill through the portal. I was told that I needed to “tamper down”—I repeat —5 days post op. I had nerve damage on top of that from a failed epidural so the whole situation was a mess. I also have had numerous orthopedic surgeries prior, and always rolled right off pain meds, however, all were arthroscopic and there is a huge difference between waking up with three steri strips on vs a 14” incision. I too wish the media would report on “the other side”.
Thanks for letting me vent.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I’m very sorry to hear that there are others who have not had their pain managed. I was five days post surgery and the triage nurse said this is the last time I’m doing this, when refilling my meds. No one should experience the excruciating pain without adequate meds. Puhleeeeze,,,,,,,I’m a 63 year old woman recovering from major surgery, not a junkie. My surgeon nor his PA talk to post op patients, you deal with office staff. My ortho is a top notch surgeon, but post op protocol sucks. I am thankful that the PTKR was done as a TKR, as I don’t want to go thru this again.

Thank you all who have taken time to share your experiences.
 
You would think that we who have had numerous surgeries and never became addicted to the meds, would be an indication that we won't after this surgery either. They don't even take that into consideration. I'll be so glad when the news media start harping on something else so the people that really need the pain meds can get them.
 
Yes, sistersinhim. TKR is a major surgery with lots of trauma to the body. I don’t mind short supply of pain meds, or dr talking to me to determine what is needed to control pain, but NO ONE but clerical staff at ortho office will talk to me. Thankfully, knee is doing well, but I went thru pure hell the fist 13 days. Totally uncalled for and no empathy or concern. So disappointed in the whole post op experience. I have Dr appt on Thurs and WILL express my disappointment. I’m so fortunate to have a top notch surgeon and I am grateful for his talent, but post op protocol has to change. I have an issue I’ll address in a new post.
 
Hello all, LTKR on 1-18, Doing really well with PT , working hard with PT, have obtained ROM of 115, and each day with my new knee is better. With that said, have any of you experienced Sciatica following TKR?

I have long ongoing issues with discs L3, L4 and L-5 bulging and pressing into my SI nerve. Take tramadol to control flare ups, and when severe, get facet injections.

Severe Sciatica began last week, pain increasing each day. Cannot sit for any length of time,have trouble finding comfort in any position. Talked to PT, he gave me some exercises, but no relief. Have been alternating btwn ice and heat. PT says prob new “gait” from surgery has aggravated my back. Have had such a hard time sleeping and pain, at times, has me in tears.

Anyone else experience this? Can you suggest anything which might offer relief? I see Ortho on Thurs and will discuss then, but was hoping for relief before then.
 
Unfortunately, sciatica is pretty common after this surgery. I think it's because of our different way of walking.
 
Hi sistersinhim, any suggestions for relief? My PT says it’s due to correction in gait.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom