TKR 5 weeks out TKR doctor wanting to do MUA

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you really are improving if you can just push aside other's expectations. I've learned to listen to my body. Do more if I can, back off if it hurts a lot or swells. I went to PT and had a decent experience but we got it straight early on that I was the only one touching my leg. I'm not sure how someone else pushing helps anyway. If you can't move it there with your own muscles, how will it help you get around? I'm 10 weeks out and back to normal activity level. I do stairs, bike, and am happy to have my life back. I did PT for a month and felt pretty good about it. I quit going at 4 weeks because I needed to save some PT appointments for the other knee. I was worried not going to PT would slow my progress,but it did not. I rode my exercise bike for 10 minutes most days and walked a lot and did some stretches. I think my biggest progress with flexion came between weeks 6 - 8. If you feel you are making progress you can decide to wait on the MUA. Only you can decide what makes sense for you and your body. Don't be intimidated by anyone else.
 
so I went to the doctor today for my 6 week follow up...GREAT NEWS the doctor is happy with my progress.
come to find out it was the PA who was pushing the 120 degrees and not the doctor. The PA was also the one pushing for the MUA; however when we went to the doctor today the PA tried to tell me that I needed the MUA and my husband stood right up and said no she doesn't because even the doctor said he was happy with the progress and that there was no scar tissue. The pain that I am having appears to be some left over tissue that is being crushed causing some pain (so the doctor believes). So as it stands I was working so hard and stressing so much for nothing. I will continue to do as I have been doing for the past 6 weeks until I am 1 year out and I don't even remember that I had this terrible surgery on my knee
 
I am so excited to read this!!!

I'm so sorry that PA caused you so much stress.

I was thinking of you today and wondered how you made out.

I hope my appointment with my surgeon next month surprises me in a good way, too! Like you, I am worried about my rom and his opinion.
 
I've just read your entire thread and all I can say is "Good Grief!" If anyone kneeds a knee-vacation, it's you! Your knee deserves a month in Bermuda, lounging poolside with a Rum Swizzle. Don't set yourself up for more pain and swelling unnecessarily.

I just reached 110 flexion today and am 4+ months post-op. Not fast, just slow and steady progress with a few stalls here and there. Guess what? I'm delighted. Why? Because no one had to hurt me to get here! I've been seeing a very gentle therapist since Week 2 and his program, along with the Great Healer, time, and some help from Mother Nature have given me great results. My flexion increased 5 degrees from last week simply by using my exercycle about 10 minutes a day and just basic ADL's along with errands.

The people here have walked the painful, limpy walk and really know their business, so take full advantage of this body of knowledge. Your knee will thank you in the long run.
 
Hurray for your hubby. He is a keeper! Enjoy that doctors words. Now you can sit back and decide how you want to proceed. If you do therapy, find a therapist who listens to you, who you can trust, and who helps ( not hurts) you get to your goals. If you decide not to do therapy, move some frequently throughout the day. Whatever you decide, ice and elevate. My hubby calls me the Ice Queen ( I am taking that as a compliment!) at 6 weeks, I am FINALLY starting to feel the tightness around the knee lighten up a bit. It took time and I don't think there was a thing I could do to help it go away but wait. It was frustrating at times, it was depressing at times. But I chose to celebrate the little victories along the way and that helped me get through,
 
@Jockette I hope your appointment brings you the same good news as mine. What is your ROM now?
As for the PA I really think she was surprised that my husband stood up to her. I really believe they are use to people just doing whatever they say to do, but I did plenty of research and when I have a therapist who has 20+ years exp tell me that he has never really seen the MUA help to listen to a PA.
@Pheebs52 I totally agree with you and I love the way you spelled kneeds too cute.
I am backing off on the therapy at home and not allowing the therapist go to far. I to have been using my exercycle at home and can see a big difference. I also live on the ice, sometimes I feel like I am doing it way to much but I can see the difference in the swelling so I will continue. I totally agree with you on THE GREAT HEALER I do not think I could make it without the Lord being on my side.
@OJ2 do you go tp therapy at all or are you just doing stuff at home? It is very frustrating to say the least but I agree with you I hold onto the little victories that come everyday, if I didn't I think I would jus about go crazy.
 
I don't know what my rom is, I haven't been measured since my 4 month appointment and my surgeon put my knee where HE wanted it (it was very painful) so the number he got, in my opinion, does not count. It was 124. He seemed concerned, since HE had gotten me to 128 at my previous appointment 8 weeks earlier. Seriously? Those are great numbers even if I can't do them myself.

But, 3 days later we went away for the weekend and the lower height toilet at our friend's house did me a lot of damage and my rom has still not recovered, thus my fear of his opinion at my next check up.

It was him causing me pain that far out from surgery that was the last straw for me. I see him next month for my 7 month check up and I am going to be firm, I will bend my knee myself while sitting in a chair, and not laying on the table. I think I could more easily stand up to a lowly PT but it's going to be hard for me to stand up to the surgeon. But enough is enough. Some surgeons don't even measure, I've come to find out, so mine pushing on me is going to stop.

And I also have faith in The Great Healer and don't know what I'd do without Him. I was praying for you and this appointment, so glad we got a "yes" to our prayer!

Take care!
 
I went to therapy on Friday and was so pleased with the results after the doctor gave me an injection due to the sharp pain in my knee. I was able to very easily reach 100 degrees without the sharp pain I was experiencing on the inside of my knee. since I know the doctor is happy with where I am at I have relaxed and slowed down a lot. I also took the advice of so many on here and told the therapist to stop whenever he was hurting me. it felt good calling the shots and not letting him hurt me. I had that 120 degree number on my mind and that is all I could think about so I allowed the therapist to hurt me, bringing me to tears at times. well not anymore not since I took the advice of everyone on here.
I have one month before I am back in the work force and I can tell you I am a little scared as I am a nurse and I have to be on my feet all day. does anyone have any advice that will help my endurance with standing and walking a little faster without limping or as I call it "stiff legging" it.
 
that's fantastic news Marynana07. i don't have any advice about getting back to work but i want to tell you that i am 5 months post op and walking has not been a problem at all, for at least a couple of months. in fact, last night we were out with another couple and they were both impressed at how well i was walking with no limp and at a moderate pace, no pain at all when walking. the only pain i have occurs when i have been sitting for a certain amount of time and then stand up. i have to move very slowly for a minute, actually stand still and straighten up (engage my core as someone else suggested) before moving forward. i think you will be just fine at your job, but then there's the "energy drain" and you'll have to be good to yourself after a shift at work. your r.om. is very good at 100 degrees and it will keep improving.:yes:
 
I'm so glad your surgeon was pleased with your progress. Whagt a shame you wer caused so much worry before hand!

Anyway, now you know you are doing OK, you can relax a bit and stop worrying. Your knee is going to continue to progress.
 
I am walking much better and trying to rest,elevate and ice as much as possible. the pain still comes at me really hard if I stay on my feet for long periods of time and the swelling can be quite severe at times as well. I am just glad that I can almost see a light at the end of the tunnel even though it is still only a dim light , it is still a light and I am holding on to every little bit of hope I can in order to make it through this.
I ended up having to find another therapist because the one I was going to would not stop when I asked him to. I would be in so much pain after he was done. When I asked him to not be so rough he would say ok and then just go back to doing what he was doing before, so I found someone else. Hopefully they will be better and more gentle especially since I know the doctor is happy with where I am at and all looks well with my knee. I am so thankful for the people on this site, because I did not know I could tell the therapist to stop, I thought I had to do what he said.
Now a question.....how long was it before you could bend down and pick something of of the floor? Also for the ladies what about wearing heels, I love wearing heels to church, nothing real high but something more than sandals would be nice. have any of you been able to wear your heels again or is it too painful?
 
I don't remember when I could bend down and pick something up off the floor, but I can now, and I'm much more flexible in doing so without bending my knees much. I actually tried a "stretch" and could touch the floor. Granted, it was only with the very tips of my fingers, and I couldn't do it a second time, but it counts in my book!

I can't answer the question about heels as I don't wear them due to back issues and a weird nerve/foot issue.

So glad you got another PT!!!
 
You're doing great! And good for you on ditching that therapist for one who will respect your wishes. You'll be happy in the long run.

I could pick things up off the floor at around three weeks. That was when the need arose. It's possible I could have done it before then.

And I can answer your question about heels. I love shoes and of course I had to test drive my new knees with them. I did so at 10 weeks.

I could walk in kitten heels but noticed the extra strain on my out of practice ankles, and therefore the knees. I was more stable, and more comfortable, in some pumps with block heels. I would say practice your heels at home before venturing out in them. Also, you might have to buy new shoes. It's likely the wear pattern on your shoes no longer works well with your new knee. Yet another reason to test drive them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom