TKR 5 weeks after surgery

Another question for you lovely people out there. I had my staples removed this week all went well no infection etc however I woke this morning to a terrible feeling of tightening around my knee joint. It gets worse when you are walking on it too . It feels like someone has put a wide strap around the joint and pulled it very tight. Is this a normal sensation I have heard this mentioned before on this forum but can’t seem to find any answers your help and advice would be most helpful as I feel this might be a rollercoaster down day

It feels like someone has put a wide strap around the joint and pulled it very tight.
This is very normal:

I am having the same problem. It definitely gets worse for me if I am on my feet too long. Being mindful of that has helped some. I hope you feel better.

What you are feeling is swelling in your knee. It took months for that tightness to go away. The best thing for it is icing and elevating to get that fluid out of there.

We are all pulling for you out here in BoneSmart Land! Everyone's experiences are unique to themselves, and it's even true that TKR of first one and then the other knee will result in very differences. reading your thread One aid that seemed underused is ice. But in meaningful ways we have all gone through the same struggle. My best experience is with ice packs, multiple reusable ones so there is always a cold one in the fridge (that saying takes on a new meaning ) and i use two at a time to be sure I have ice under my knew as well as on top.
(you might want to look at my latest post for more details.)

Hello everyone can someone tell me how long after surgery can
You totally straighten the leg I can bend more then 90 degrees and I can do straight leg lifts well almost straight but I still have a slight bend at the knee it’s just so frustrating I am 5 weeks out from surgery thank you

@Debonair1961,
TKR recovery is a marathon not a sprint, you are still very very early in this yearlong+ recovery.
Extension can take longer than flexion to obtain, sounds like you are very close with just a slight bend.
Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it .
When you are walking you will want to use a heel to toe gait to facilitate extension, so it can naturally increase on its own.

You'll notice that I have moved your newest post in the November Nimbles to your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

TKR recovery definitely is a marathon not a sprint @Debonair1961. I was still at +4 extension at one year. Now at almost 2 years it's more like a -4. I didn't do anything special, just got on with life and my knee continued to improve.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
August it is
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom