MUA 5 week failure<

90 is OK. You can walk well enough with that. The pain is another matter though. I can't offer anything other than my sympathy. Hope things improve soon. Don't look for improvement every day, check it monthly- you might be surprised. I hope so anyway
 
Thanks @Spex10, I do like the 90 cause I can drive and I walk but not great. I still get alot of pain walking or sitting to long, or when I switch between sitting/standing and vise versa. My knee still feels heavy. I guess I just don’t know if anyone else feels/felt like this. I feel so alone sometimes cause no one near me understands how I feel. I still think I can progress but every now and than you just feel defeated. Thanks for the support.
 
oh man @Robinmhs88 - this is so hard to read after all you've been through with this. Completely totally frustrating and I know so many who have had a bit of a struggle in recovery understand your plight. I feel that the PT will help you alot and I'm anxious to see what your OS has to say about all this. I know for me that if it was not for a kneecap that was obviously stuck down, I would not have done this MUA as I feel it did more harm to my poor leg than it helped but it did loosen up that kneecap which has tried once again since the MUA to get stuck again but thanks to the cupping and massage by the PT that is being prevented.

What is even harder is that those around you have no understanding and sympathy. I know this takes a year for full recovery but so many times I too just want my life back! I can only hang onto the testimonies of those who have gone before me on this journey that slowly but surely that will happen.

Much love and hugs to you. How long before you have to go back to work? I sure hope you can see a PT soon...
 
Thanks @funkymuse- I know you know how I feel and we keep fighting someday it will be done :) Luckily I am on spring break for two wks. I did nothing yesterday but relax. I will try to get into the pt this week since I missed the appt last week due to work not letting me leave. Hugs and love your way :loveshwr:
 
RELAXING FOR TWO WEEKS!!!! Ya hoo!!!!!!!!!!
:yahoo:
This two weeks may make a big difference!!!
 
hi @Robinmhs88 ~ wishing you all the best with the massage therapist. i was stuck at 90 for a long time also. i'm doing fine now, able to ride my bike which was a huge milestone. my flexion still isn't as good as my other knee but i'm able to do most anything i need to do and hoping it will continue to improve. i don't have pain as you do. i really empathize with you in that regard. keep looking for answers and find what works for you. i hope you like the massage therapist and he or she gives you relief. take care. :flwrysmile:
 
I feel so alone sometimes cause no one near me understands how I feel. I still think I can progress but every now and than you just feel defeated.

Gosh @Robinmhs88 I know how you feel. I had so many setbacks in my early weeks with an infection, possible cellulitis, stitch abscesses, allergies, fungus, and then psoriasis on the incision site, I thought I would go mad with it all. I swear the stitches issues made my knees so sensitive to everything, plus the horrible itching from the allergies. I was just so depressed. I thought it would never end. And one day at about 3 1/2 months, it all started to resolve. And get better. The stitch abscesses got better, the allergic reaction to the adhesive bandaids, the psoriasis, all of it. Now I just have some aches and pains in muscles and ligaments that need to regain their strength and stamina. I know my issues aren't necessarily your particular issues, I am just sharing them because I felt the same discouragement and depression. The people around you who have not had this surgery just don't get it. But we do here at bonesmart. So I hope you keep posting and asking for feedback and help.
 
@Robinmhs88 hello. I have read your post from beginning to end. I hope that I can help you see things differently. I can only try. Please believe me when I say I’m writing because I care.

My journey of pain and disappointment has lasted 41/2 years. I had a partial followed by a total knee replacement, then arthroscopies then worked in pain for two years as it was just bearable. Then I fell down the stairs. That fall aggravated my knee. The pain was excruciating and made me want to vomit. I ended up with removal of scar tissue under anaesthetic which didn’t help and the pain was horrific. Eight weeks later I had a revision TKR.

I have decided that I’m not doing PT I’m just doing ADLs, no exercise and letting this knee heal. I’m done with pain due to swelling and scar tissue so I’m going to do it completely the BoneSmart way.

I’m OCD and I have trouble sitting still. Like you I insisted on exercising but let me tell you it doesn’t help it makes the swelling worse. You must stop exercising. It’s the only way the swelling will go down. You have two weeks. Do nothing other than ADLs and walking about the house as needed ie toilet, food etc. it is the only way to avoid swelling and pain. Then when you go back to work, at home do nothing but ADLs and walking as needed.

This is the only way. Exercise causes swelling for us. That causes pain. You need to stop it so you can heal. Once healed, then you can do the activities you wish. You are doing way too much and you need to stop if you want to heal and recover from this. I have accepted that it is what it is. There is no turning back so how do I recover from this nightmare.

I do nothing. So what if I’m an active person by nature. I have to get over this attitude that I have to exercise because I am making it worse. To make it better the answer is do nothing other than ADLs and walking. Exercise pushes you into a viscious cycle of swelling and pain then you exercise more and you get more swelling and pain because exercise causes swelling. Eventually that causes adhesions.

Stop exercising. That’s the answer. Slow down. Do as little as possible. Ice and elevate. Rest. That’s how you’ll recover. I’m doing the same. I’m 5 weeks and I’m refusing to exercise. I am not doing PT for my knee. I’m only doing ADLs and walking as necessary. I don’t care what people think. I want to recover so I ignore them. You can too. I have sciatica as well. Extremely painful. I’m not doing exercise for anything. Heat on my back and ice on my knee, rest and elevate. That’s it.

This is the answer to a good recovery so overcome your need to move and exercise by focusing on what you want. A knee that bends. I hope you don’t get upset with my post. I’m just trying to make you see that it can go on for a very long time - 4 1/2 years long. It’s not worth it. Please stop exercising. We have a problem with swelling so it’s really important we do as little as possible. That’s all I can say. Good luck. I will keep reading your posts.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
To all my Bonesmart friends- THANK YOU!
I so appreciate that you take a moment to write to me, it doesn’t upset me, it all is a huge help. You hear and feel like if you don’t exercise you will get stuck and so you exercise but you get stuck anyways. I need to hear others stories so I know I will be okay. The encouragement is huge to me as I feel alone and that no one understands how I feel about this. For the first time in my adult life I did nothing for two days, adls was it. I even took a pain pill last night to help me sleep. I know two days aren’t enough to make a difference but I made the effort to slow down. Thank you all, I will let you know how things are going :) have a great day
 
Last edited:
I’m so glad others have weighed in with their experiences and insights. You’ve been trying so hard for a long time and, well, it’s time to try a different approach. I recovered using the BoneSmart approach and really put a brake on my PT exercises. It worked wonderfully. So many members have had your flexion of around 90 at your stage of recovery and went on to have much more bend later on as their knees finished healing.

It’s hard to sit still when you have a “gotta be doing something” personality. When I was helping my mother recover from her TKRs, the hardest part of the job was keeping her from getting up to do stuff!
 
I'm a bit of a slug, but my plans to do a ton of crochet have gone out the window. I just can't concentrate. I am frustrated that I've missed out on daughter's basketball games and other social things. That's what really frustrates me. I also seem to be stuck at 90. On Saturday my knee felt really good and I overdid it, including flexing past 90 (and getting really excited) and now I am paying for it and back to barely 90.
 
I’m part of a bowling league, I had to give that up for a while. I started back carefully at 12 weeks, one game the first time I tried, then 2 games at a time for a month, then finally back to 3 games.

You’ll get back to those things you want to do.
 
You will. Once the swelling has gone and your knee has recovered
 
You are still so early after your MUA @Robinmhs88, don't be disheartened, after all you've been through two major procedures and the second will have reset your personal healing clock (which we shouldn't be paying too much attention to anyway).

My story for the last few weeks has been all about my lack of ROM, but I'm seeing a gradual improvement now and can feel it too. Progress is still very slow, and my OS and PT have both weighed in with the usual 'not good enough', 'might have to MUA' comments, but I know it will get better because I can see those small progressions - and the progress is all my own doing, nobody else's.

So my advice (and this comes from the one person who finds it so difficult to accept the same advice himself :loll:) is rest, relax, don't overdo it and allow yourself the physical and emotional time to recover. You will see small improvements and you'll know things are getting better.

Take care and try not to worry, you'll get there!
 
You hear and feel like if you don’t exercise you will get stuck and so you exercise but you get stuck anyways. I need to hear others stories so I know I will be okay.
I did very little PT for my Revision to TKR 5 years ago - just one session every 2 weeks, after an initial post-op month with no PT.

For my last TKR, I did no PT at all. I just used my knee in my activities of daily living.

Both my knees are strong and reliable. They straighten fully and they both bend to over 125 degrees.
I can do everything I want to with them and nowadays I seldom even think abut them.

Going to PT has done nothing to help your knee and it has you all worried about things that are unlikely to happen. That's mental torture.

Since PT hasn't worked for you, why not stop going?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom