TKR 5 months and still uncomfortable

It is one year now and I still can’t work. It hurts to walk, stand and sit and stings while trying to get to sleep. I have my one year check in 2 days..I’ll try not to cry, but this is the worst thing I have ever done in my life.
Anyone else in my shoes?
 
@roxylee25
I’m sorry for complaining about my, ( only 90 degrees) I will pray for you that things get better. Please post and let me know how your Dr visit goes and what they plan to do to help you. I never dreamed that would happen to anyone.:cry::shrug::boohoo:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@roxylee25

I have copied your post and Mr Gary's response to your own thread, so we can talk about your knee without disrupting his thread.

You need help and we'd like to help you if we can.

Please post in this thread and let us know what your surgeon says when you see him. It's better to post it here than in a PM, because we can't help if we don't know what is going on.

I see that you haven't posted in your recovery thread for a long time. Did you lose it?
Bookmark it if you can, or this article may help:
How can I find my threads and posts?
 
When you see your OS this week, make a list of questions to ask about your progress. It is very easy to get side tracked when seeing doctors. I hope you find answers to your difficulties.
 
Have you had a metal allergy blood test? It's unlikely that this is your problem, but you never know. Yes, do let us know how your OS visit goes.
 
A list for the doctor is a good idea. I hope he offers some ideas on how to go forward. You should be having less pain and more function by now. :sad:
 
@roxylee25 I have read your thread from the beginning and I am curious to find out how you got on at your one year check. Please let us know and also how you are feeling. Are you still resting icing lots and elevating?

@Celle love reading about the 2 week guy makes me feel normal!
 
I had my TKR April 10, 2017. I thought I was progressing as scheduled but it’s been 13 months now and it still hurts to walk beyond half a block, stairs are difficult etc. my doctor ordered x Ray, nuclear bone scan and blood work. Everything looks fine. Saw a specialist in Boston who said he didn’t see anything out of whack. He stressed that a revision is way more painful than the original surgery and may give me same results. I applied for a handicapped placard and am taking Tramadol. I’m going to start PT again. I had to retire from teaching as a substitute. I’m 68. I feel 85. Guess I’ll give myself 6 months to see if I’m just a slow healer. Then will see a different doctor for possible revision. I’m bummed but trying to be patient. Anyone out there like me?
 
@roxylee25 - you will see that I have moved your post from pegl-eg's thread to your own thread.

By putting the above post in her recovery thread, you were disrupting her thread, which should be about her own recovery. I any case she hasn't posted there since March.
Forum etiquette: being polite when posting

Please post any updates or questions about your recovery in your own thread. We will see them there, as someone checks all the new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Just in case you couldn't find your thread, here are the instructions on finding your thread,
How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
I'm almost 2 years and still have some pain with certain movements. Maybe it depends on how much previous damage you had to other parts of your knee whether it'll be a quicker or longer healing. I had 5 previous surgeries on this one knee and I blame those on my slow healing. I hope you can find out what is causing your discomfort.
 
I am almost 14 months post op and I still have discomfort and going downstairs foot over foot is actually painful, going up is better, it just feels weird.

Like you, all my X-rays look fine.
 
Do you know what brand of implant you have? There may be a problem with the implant.

The specialist you saw in Boston, are they a knee specialist or a revision specialist. You want to see someone experienced with revisions.

@Jamie may have a recommendation for you.
 
@roxylee25 - I think you've given your knee long enough. It's time now to look for another second opinion. You need to find a surgeon who specializes in fixing problem knees. You need someone who has no connection, either professional or social, with your current surgeon. You may have to go out of town to find the right person.

You can start by using the "Find a clinic" button at the top of the page. Make a list of surgeons who might be possible and then phone, to ask if they specialise in doing revision surgery. That doesn't mean that you will automatically need a revision, but these surgeons see problem knees every working day and they can often spot a problem that has eluded other surgeons.

If you give Jamie your post code, she may be able to suggest someone for you.
 
I agree with Celle. You need to be seen by a good revision surgeon. Who was the surgeon you saw in Boston? I'd like to look him up and see what experience he has with problem knees.

Actually, it may be worthwhile for you to be tested for metal allergies. Unfortunately the cost is rather high ($573) and it's usually not covered by insurance. But if you don't have any obvious reasons for the pain, it is good to rule out a sensitivity to the metal implant.

If you'd like me to help you find a couple of revision surgeons to talk with, I'd be happy to. Just tell me when you're ready to make an appointment and tag me so I see it quickly. If you don't mind traveling to Boston, that's an excellent place to find good surgeons.

And....that doctor who told you revisions are way more painful than a primary TKR....that tells me he's not done very many of them because our experience here on the forum is that the recovery is no worse than a primary knee replacement and many times actually easier. Please don't let that worry you.
 
And....that doctor who told you revisions are way more painful than a primary TKR....that tells me he's not done very many of them because our experience here on the forum is that the recovery is no worse than a primary knee replacement and many times actually easier. Please don't let that worry you.
I'm going to second what Jamie said.
I had a revision and my recovery was no harder than my original recovery. If anything, because I knew what to expect, I found it a little easier.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom