TKR 5 months and still uncomfortable

I just had a thought: a year ago last May, a teacher at my school tripped just outside of campus at dismissal time, while Supervising students. She broke her hip. When she came back to work, she needed a much higher chair than what was provided. I got it for her.

She told me there were certain duty assignments she couldn't do - such as supervising on the playground in case a kid came running into her. I accommodated. It wasn't difficult. It was just no big deal - still isn't. She still needs those accommodations and we just do it for her.
 
5 months and still uncomfortable...
 
4.5. Months and still have pain myself in leg. Above the knee and sometimes if I wal too much inside of knee. My thigh is sore most days but not sure if all or any of this is because I'm having hip/groin pain that has not been resolved yet. Wonder if we will have discomfort for many months as they say it takes a full year to fully recover?
 
@roxylee25
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
You still have plenty of time to heal, you are on the slow train to recovery that some of us take, in this year long+ recovery.
Be sure to re read the articles left for you in post number 7, you will to find them helpful to revisit throughout your recovery.
 
I am 4 months out as well and I could not imagine sitting in a kid chair. My ROM is only at 90. Some days are better than others. I cannot sit for long periods of time because of stiffness. There is still lots of healing to be done in your knee! Follow what the wonderful people here are telling you! It has made me understand that this is a journey and everyones journey is not the same.
 
@roxylee25 " 5 months and still uncomfortable " how I do feel how frustrated you feel , I'm 4 months and get very impatient I'm get new muscular pain daily , leg still very swollen and pain at times wish I never had it done , I'm only like you at 90% rom which does not feel its improving, its impatience in my case and making sure getting right equipment where possible is what I learning in which to help me in my comfort an recovery
 
I am 6 months post op and still not comfortable sitting with my foot on the floor. My husband and I eat in front if the TV, so I am comfortable doing that with my feet up on an ottoman. On the rare occasion I go to a restaurant I take my cane and rest my foot up on it, even just those few inches take the pressure off my knee.

I find the height of the chair and/or seat length can be the difference of being comfortable or not. I am more comfortable on a slightly lower adult chair which enables me to put my foot out away from me making me bend my knee less. However, it's hard to get out of the chair. Such a frustrating recovery.

I'm sure a child's chair height would totally do me in! I had a very difficult time visiting friends in July for the weekend and struggling to get up off their lower standard height toilet. (Mine at home are all the higher chair height) and I ended up with quite a long set back from that weekend. There was also very little to lean on for me to use my arms to help me get up.
 
I can't walk for more than 5-10 minutes before I start to stiffen up. I also find it very uncomfortable to sit with my leg at a 90 degree angle. It hurts in the area right under the knee cap. Called my OS and he wants to see me. I'm so afraid he will want to do a Manipulation. He told me when I saw him that I had good flexion and take Aleve.
I'm an anxious person and this is really ramping up the anxiety. I am a substitute teacher and have to be in good form for hall walking and chair sitting..bored waiting to be healed. Anyone in the same boat?
 
Thank you for all your responses and suggestions. I guess I'm being impatient and was expecting to be healed at this point. I want to be active and just feeling frustrated at the 5 month mark. I know others that had same surgery that bounced right back.
 
I think there are less people than we think who bounced back quickly. And maybe those who tell you they did aren't telling the whole story.

I read here somewhere about a man who went back to work at 2 weeks but he didn't tell the whole story. Does anyone remember that post?

I was certainly not prepared for the length of this recovery because absolutely no one told me. I didn't find out until I found Bonesmart at 4 weeks post op.
 
@roxylee25 since you started a new thread, I presume you never read my responses to your answers in post #20.

I stress this because there were further requests for information that you appear not to have seen. Such as these
But how much walking do you do? Don't keep me in the dark!
Can you please answer this as per the question - it's important I know this detail:
"enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each"
 
I know others that had same surgery that bounced right back.
I read here somewhere about a man who went back to work at 2 weeks but he didn't tell the whole story. Does anyone remember that post?
Jockette is right.
That was my friend! I wrote that post.

My friend, Will, boasts that he went back to work 2 weeks after a TKR. He genuinely believes now that he had no problems and no complications - he isn't trying deliberately to deceive anyone.
The truth of it is this:
  • Although he did go back to work so early, he did it in a wheelchair.
  • His wife helped him get up, washed and dressed, and she drove him to and from work.
  • He stopped taking pain medications, saying they were "for Sissies".
  • Consequently, he was in pain and grumpy all day.
  • His colleagues wished he had stayed at home.
  • He rested in bed all the time, except when at work.
  • His wife waited on him, hand and foot.
  • By the time he was really recovered, his wife was a worn-out wreck.
He doesn't tell the full story, because he doesn't remember it.
He thinks he had a fast, uncomplicated recovery, and that's what he tells people.

I think many of us experience a similar sort of amnesia. It's like forgetting the pain of childbirth once it's over.

There are very few people who genuinely have a quick recovery from a knee replacement. The vast majority of us have a long recovery that draws deeply on our store of patience.
Complete recovery from a TKR takes a full year, sometimes even longer, although you will feel much better long before that. Recovery is a marathon, not a sprint.
 
Thanks, @Celle. Did his wife finally recover? That poor woman!
 
Yes, his wife is fine now. She's considerably younger than he is and she wangled a sports car from him for her next birthday, in appreciation of all she'd done for him during his recovery. She's very loyal to him, but she always makes sure she's well rewarded.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom