PKR 5 mo speed bump

Had PKR Oct 2 and made reasonable progress. Took a trip of a lifetime early Jan ( cruised Dubai to Singapore with an independent side trip in India) and my knee held up pretty well, even climbing rough steps in ancient cave-temples. Got severe ringworm (feet). Since Feb I've had extreme touch tenderness around the kneecap, discomfort inside the knee, and limited ROM - 115 went down to 90, now uncomfortably up to 118. CT scan shows fluid buildup. My surgeon is a 3-5hr drive away, and I have a new PCP who is "not a knee specialist". I'm wondering if I might have a fungal infection in the knee, not sure what's the next step. PS left Asia just before COVID19 reared it's ugly head....
 
Hello, @GrassValleyMe
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread.

If you would like a new thread title just post what you would like it to be and we'll change it for you

Since Feb I've had extreme touch tenderness around the kneecap, discomfort inside the knee, and limited ROM - 115 went down to 90, now uncomfortably up to 118. CT scan shows fluid buildup. My surgeon is a 3-5hr drive away, and I have a new PCP who is "not a knee specialist". I'm wondering if I might have a fungal infection in the knee, not sure what's the next step.
Since your PCP doesn't know a lot about knees the first thing you need to do is contact your surgeon. Even if he is a long drive away, he has the knowledge to advise you.

It sounds as if your knee stood up well to your long trip, but you gave it a pretty arduous workout for such a new knee. At only 3 months post-op, it was really only abut a quarter of the way to full recovery.

Are you icing and elevating your knee now? It would be a good idea to do so, if you haven't already started doing it. Doing that might help to reduce some of the internal swelling and fluid build-up.
 
Hi Celle - many thanks. I'm new to forums ( fori?) and still figuring out navigation. Yes, thanks to my PT advice I'm elevating a lot and icing some. PT is once a week gentle - bicycle, step work, balance work, and ultrasound / manual massage of tissue around kneecap. Pain level is low, but Im tired of discomfort. Life goes on as normal . Many thanks for your work with all of us.
 
PS how do I access replies to my post? (Feeling dumb)
 
Sorry, I meant how do I read the 21 replies to my post? I only see the most recent. Thanks
 
Jaycey has told you how to reply to posts.
People's replies will appear in your thread, so just keep reading your thread.

If you want address someone in particular, tag them:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/tagging-other-members-and-answering-tags.56687/

And if you want to quote all or part of their post, this is how:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/how-to-use-the-quote-feature.56660/

The above articles and many more helpful posts can be found in this section:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/how-to-use-this-forum.134/
 
Sorry, I meant how do I read the 21 replies to my post? I only see the most recent. Thanks
You scroll up the screen. You will probably need to go to Page 1 of your thread, which is where you posted soon after your surgery - remember, I merged your original thread with your new thread..
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Back
Top Bottom