Guest viewing is limited

THR 49 y/o LTHR After AVN Recovery thread

Hi @Prem1234 and happy Monday.

This is the part of your recovery where less is more.:yes:
All those disturbed bits are still in shock and your body is working hard to heal.
You have to be healed before you can maintain or develop fitness, let alone optimize it. First things first.
Healing should almost always put physical conditioning on the back burner, especially at first.
As soon as I worked that out, and discovered that my PT was counterproductive early days, things went much smoother.

Hope you have a restful restorative chilled week.:ice::ice::ice:
 
A bit late but I had my 13th day follow up with my surgeon on Monday 27th. The dressing was removed and the wound is healing well, I was surprised how small the wound is at 4 inches long.

He asked me to walk without a cane in his office which I had been doing at home for short periods and everything was good.

I’ve been cleared to drive, lightly swim and do walking and gentle lunges in the pool as well as light stationary bike and can start cross trainer at week 4.

I’ve been off of the strong painkillers for nearly a week and I did drop the paracetamol for the last two days but have just started them again as I had hip pain which has now gone back down to a 1-2.

Currently I’m doing around 1000-2000 Steps aday and still sticking with my light physio approach but will look to up it in the next week or so when I feel ready. I still have pain behind the new hip if I lift my leg relatively straight to get in bed or in the car etc (I protect against this). The consultant said this was normal but try to limit this movement in the short term as it puts a lot of ‘torque’ on the implant and pressure on the muscles due to the pivotal effect. He said at week 4 the bone would be growing a lot more on to the implant.

Indoors I'm walking with and without my cane, and when using the cane I only use it lightly to ensure i don't limp and my gait is good.

So both my physio and consultant said I was ahead of the curve when it came to my recovery and this is due to the minimally invasive procedure and my pre THR fitness levels so please do not gauge your recovery to mine, each recovery is personal and it’s not a race.
 
Last edited:
good update!! I still marvel at how great I felt after that first THR.. It still ranks up there with Christmases when I was a tiny girl and believed...

Such a miracle. Keep up the good work and just remember, if it begins to hurt, ease up a bit. Your exercise plans sound a bit intimidating to me. But like you said, we are all different.
But I worry...
 
Hello :wave: Happy Friday!
What a nice update to read. Thank you for taking the time to share.
You're doing well and I'm sure you felt encouraged by your visit with the OS on Monday. I hope you have a lovely weekend as you continue on your healing journey. :walking:
@Prem1234
 
Great update. Glad it's going well.
Great thanks @BruceH after reading the latest in your recovery thread it sounds like you're doing really well too which is fantastic to hear.

Thank you. For the record the words my OS used were "as expected" and "unremarkable" and I'll take that all day long.

I'm still a long ways from being recovered but so far so good! Feels great to not have that bandage, the steri strips are starting to come off. My biggest challenge is not overdoing it.
 
Great update. Glad it's going well.
Great thanks @BruceH after reading the latest in your recovery thread it sounds like you're doing really well too which is fantastic to hear.

Thank you. For the record the words my OS used were "as expected" and "unremarkable" and I'll take that all day long.

I'm still a long ways from being recovered but so far so good! Feels great to not have that bandage, the steri strips are starting to come off. My biggest challenge is not overdoing it.

@BruceH Yes it read very well my friend, you're clear to drive, x-ray and incision all look good so very positive....before you know it you'll be out walking your dog.

I know what you mean about trying to be patient....I stopped the paracetamol thinking it would help speed things along....somethings just can't be rushed.
 
So my 4 week update…. Things are definitely progressing in the right direction, my scar is settling down nicely with just a small lump at the top which I’m pretty sure is just the last of the dissolvable stitches.

I still get a little pain in and around the hip after sitting for a while and I have to do a couple of shuffle steps before getting into my stride I also get pain if I lift a more straightened leg to get into bed or in/out of the car but the pain is definitely getting less.

Currently I’m walking 2k-3K steps a day without a cane but I’m listening to my body/hip and will look to increase this next week all going well.

I had my second session with my physio and he’s very pleased with my progress and given me some more gentle exercises and said if I want to start on the stationary bike I can but not to over do it, start with no resistance for a few minutes and slowly build up.

I'm back to work tomorrow but can work from home for a few weeks with plenty of breaks for physio/walking so it won't be too bad.
 
Hello, thanks for the update @Prem1234
It sounds like you're doing really well and will be One Month post op on Friday already. It's fortunate you're able to work from home if necessary because you may tire more easily than expected. Wishing you all the best. Let us know how it goes. :wave:
 
:hi: Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a great day and weekend! :)
@Prem1234
 
:heehee: What a ding-dong I am!:hissy:
I promise I'll note it correctly next month.

I got it right in my post above the anniversary wishes...only three days earlier.
I Yi Yi!

Have a great Sunday and week. :)
@Prem1234
 
Hello @Prem1234
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re doing well. We’d love to read all about your progress if you have time to share. Until then...all the best to you! :wave:
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
With any luck all is progressing as it should.
Be safe and stay well as you continue the journey! :)
@Prem1234
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom