• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR 49 y/o LTHR After AVN Recovery thread

Prem1234

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
So an update from the healing side from me.

I’ve just arrived home after having my LTHR on 14th January.

I had a spinal with sedation and what my consultant calls the Ultra Posterior approach. The consultant surgeon was very happy with the surgery and even texted me a photograph of my x-ray. I walked about 20 metres with a walking frame 2.5 hours after getting back to my room.

I had pretty much a pain free night with the local anaesthetic injected during the surgery, Gabapentin and Longtec/OxyContin meds doing their job.

It’s early days but the pain I had from the AVN has gone and I’m pain free when sitting down but have got quite a bit of pain in my hip flexors and minor pain at the incision sight when doing my physio/walking. I will keep the meds up and start icing to keep this under control.

I’ve got very limited precautions so I can sleep on my sides etc just no bending of 90 degrees, crossing of legs or twisting on the balls of my feet etc.

I’ve got a daily list of physio exercises to do which are all very basic and a follow up appointment with the physio next week.

Fingers crossed things progress in the right direction

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
:welome:
Welcome to Recovery and congrats on your new hip!
Following are the Recovery Guidelines which I believe you'll find beneficial. It sounds like you're doing well given you're only one day post op.
Please stop back often, we'all be here to support you as you begin healing.
Wishing you comfort and a good day!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

RinTinTin

senior
Country
Canada Canada
Welcome to the recovery site @Prem1234 and congratulations on your new hip!
All the pain, aches and stiffness you feel is normal and expected... now just rest, take it easy and don't overdue with any form of PT so early post surgery. There will be plenty of time for that.
:)

OP
OP
P

Prem1234

Country
So looks like I spoke to soon as my pain levels are rising not sure if the 'in hospital' meds are wearing off....I'm due Gabapentin and Longtec/OxyContin in an hour and can't wait.

I iced for over 45 mins earlier but I am really struggling to get about and in and out of bed, It feels like I don't have the strength in my hip flexors to support the weight of my leg plus the pain in my flexors feel like a really bad strain. Is this all part of log leg ?

When I'm lying in bed or sitting in the chair I am pretty much pain free !!

After reading BruceH's thread and DesertDivas recommendation to buy a leg lifter I've just ordered one off of amazon to help.

Last edited:

leejaa

supremo
Country
I do not know if you can but I took Tylenol in between pain meds regularly to help with the pain control. It does help. You do have to be careful that you are not taking too much if any meds you take have acetaminophen. I took 1300mg (Tylenol arthritis) 3x/day.

OP
OP
P

Prem1234

Country
Thank you for your reply @leejaa I forgot to mention that I am also taking 2x500mg of paracetamol/Tylenol 4 times a day which is a similar dose to what you were taking. Maybe the 50 mins car journey home and my movements today have taken there toll.

leejaa

supremo
Country
Yes, the car ride is not easy right after surgery. Mine was 1.5hrs and the one thing that helped was the ice I brought with me but I was bushed by the time I got in and just went to the recliner and assumed the position with fresh ice. Icing constantly when not moving really helped me also.

DesertDiva

Country
@Prem1234 - Welcome to the healing side. I'm sorry that you're experiencing pain, but hang in there as it's usually only a short roller coaster ride.

My "log leg" experience wasn't one of pain, it was just like my brain couldn't communicate to my leg to "lift" at all. I'm a little over two weeks with #2 and "almost" over log leg. Yippee Skippy!

You're so very early in your recovery, so take it easy. It is important to get up every hour or so for a short walk, but let your body be your guide.

It's one of the best $10 I ever spent! I hope your pain eases soon and better days come quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eman85

post-grad
Country
You mention exercises, the only thing needing exercise is your patience. The slightest thing will cause pain. Think about what your muscles have just endured. If an athlete pulls a muscle they do it while keeping everything inside their body. On the other hand with a THR they manipulate your muscles and dislocate your joint and pull it to places it should never go. If you do exercises while on pain killers the pain will be even more intense as the painkillers wear off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Prem1234 :wave: and welcome to the healing side! Right now you really shouldn't be doing much more than resting, sleeping whenever and wherever you can grab it, elevate, ice, ice and ice! :ice::ice::ice: Oh, and get up when you need to go to the bathroom and maybe a little stroll to the kitchen for a snack.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:yes!: All done!
These early days can definitely be tough, my friend.
All Temporary...became my mantra.
Agree with all the splendid advice above, especially staying chilled.:ice:
Healing vibes coming your way...

OP
OP
P

Prem1234

Country
Thank you everyone for all your words of advice and support....I shall certainly be following them. A much more chilled day for me today. Many thanks again

Last edited:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I told my surgeon he set my post op appointment for 10 days out where I would be done hating on him by then.:heehee:
No heroics needed...take your meds on time to stay AHEAD of the pain and all that is needed is rest while your body works hard to heal.
It Will be worth it.
Healing Mojo coming your way!

OP
OP
P

Prem1234

Country
Hi @ForumUser thank you for sharing your recovery thread I've just read it and it makes great reading....When you came to the UK for your vacation you were only a few miles from where I live in Brighton....Hoping for a positive outcome like yours.

OP
OP
P

Prem1234

Country
Hi @ForumUser oh excellent I live close to the Marina so East of the Pier :)

I'm Feeling a bit better today thank you....I've taken it really easy though and was in bed until lunchtime just getting up for the bathroom and a walk around the house, then in my chair

My hip flexor is still sore/weak but a slightly better than yesterday, so I'm hoping it's going to gradually get less sore. I've basically found if I slide down the end of the bed and let my legs stretch out until they touch the floor it's easier to get out of bed....I do the same in reverse to get into bed.

Thanks again

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Prem1234

Country
So it's Start of Day 3 for me....

1) Awake approx 8 am do bed exercises (heel slides/knee rise, calf pumps and foot rotations)
2) Cup of tea and trip to bathroom on single cane (1000mg Paracetamol and every 4 hours after)
3) Lay in bed and ice hip for a minimum of 45 mins and eat breakfast
4) Get up and walk to Chair in Front room on single cane
5) 10 am Meds, Apixaban 2.5mg (blood thinners) Celecoxib 200Mg (anti inflammatory) 5mg Longtec/OxyContin (pain)
6) Walking every 1-2 hours or bathroom break
7) 45 mins icing another two times during the day
8) In bed around 8 pm
9) 10 pm Meds, Apixaban 2.5mg, Celecoxib 200Mg, 10mg Longtec/OxyContin and sleep

I've still got Hip flexor pain but it's starting to slowly feel less sore, pain around incision site and a small amount of groin pain when walking.

I did panic as I was having a 'clonking' type feeling and thought my hip was loose but it's my knee. I have had this clonking before and put it down to loosing muscle tone in my leg and not walking properly yet. Not sure if anyone else has experienced that ?

I had some standing physio exercises to do but I've not been doing them due to hip flexor pain, presuming hip flexor pain is due to the weird position they had my leg during the procedure ?

Thank you for reading my post

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Decent update for day 3, sounds like you have a nice little routine set. One thing does bother me and hope it's just a typo. You 1000 mg of paracetamol and then again every 4 hours after? Do you mean every 6 hours which would put you at the max of 4000 mg a day? And that's assuming that nothing else you're taking contains paracetamol or acetaminophen.

I see it looks that you're icing for approximately 45 minutes, three times a day. Just a suggestion, try icing any time you're not up and moving around, it might help you knock down that lingering pain. Keep up the good work, slow and steady!

OP
OP
P

Prem1234

Country
Thank you @Elf1 for your reply. I’ve been taking the paracetamol at 8am, 12, 4pm and 8pm so a maximum of 4000mg a day. Is that ok or Do you think I should increase the time in between the dose ?

Excellent thank you I’ll up the icing and see how it goes.

many thanks again

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Annapic
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom