THR 48hrs and BEYOND.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't realize till reading your thread how recently you had your surgery. Sounds like it recovery is going pretty darn good. And lucky you being out in California & going for outdoor walks.
 
I thank you all for input... it is very inspiring that my experience is helping someone... even in the slightest way..

I'm starting to believe once we find our hope and direction, that's when recovery begins. As I think about it, that's where I felt it started for me. Not in a physical sense, as the physical doesn't take place until our skilled surgeons do their job... but hope in that we will survive and thrive again... with that belief and hope brings healing to our frazzled minds(I know mine was), and rest for our body.

I said in another thread a few days ago, I'm not fast, don't want to be, never been fast at anything, I like slow and steady...... I'm a big guy with a big frame, I thought it would take a crane to hold up, and I may be crazy this is happening... and now I have to believe its really happening, .... I'm still working on that one., as it is still hard to believe until I put that one foot in front of the other...

I look forward to seeing how others are carrying along on this journey.

If this is happening to me, it can happen to anyone... and stats and data show that. Listen to our doctors to the T, listen to our bodies to the T, and listen to each other, and I don't know if anyone can ask for any more... its all good.

I feel bad for those that suffer and don't believe... I was there not long ago... and I now feel bad for those that have longer more difficult recovery, as everybodys recovery can be different, and is, they all aren't the same.. but many could be similar.... as there are very similar stories to mine....

With that said, my recovery is ongoing for sure.. well after the scar heals... as I learn what I can and can't do, and I'm taking so much from you all too..... , Its traumatic to lose the ability to walk... and equally challenging to realize we can fully gain that ability back through modern medicine.... its you'all's stories that confirmed to me it is possible.. now I just have to believe myself.

I took my meds, had a little breakfast, the suns out, so I'm going on my little walk.
Sign me, "Pain level at this point - zero." Thanks .... its a great day.
 
So you went from walker straight to cane with no stop at crutches? That's cool. Great that you get to see a physio in there early too. I had very little in hospital (supposed to be 2 sessions a day) and not supposed to see one again until 6 weeks post op. I think a couple of physio visits in between would be good for guidance and refinement of activity.
 
Yes, my doc never mentioned crutches. Nor did my PT dude. Really all the pt guy did was show me about 6 exercises (very simple and apparently effective ).. took my vitals... and watched me move and walk around... and I asked some questions. That was in-home.. and he's been here twice for maybe half hour each time. I go to outpatient therapy next week... more intense.. more active.. recumbent bikes,, elipticals... and all the fancy current equipment for therapy.... yeah.. right now just straight walking is done wonders. Ive been very careful about taking my Tylenol on time every 4 hrs. For me I've found it effective taken as such.
 
Once again a recovery story that confirms the slow and steady approach is highly effective. Well done on pacing yourself. And yes, walking is the best therapy for new hips. You are doing well @DGrant !
 
Wow, @ DGrant, you are making awesome progress. I had my RTHR on the 18th, 2 days after you. I am also feeling great, and seeing the doc on the 3rd Dec. i also almost feel now already that two crutches are in the way, but will wait for him to reduce it to one or none. Will keep following your progress.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum Annelize Buys 18/11/2015
 
Thanks guys and gals. A quick update, as some time has passed, and quite honestly some of it, I've forgotten about even having a new hip, other then the cane... which I'd used the cane prior to surgery for a few months, and here and there for tough spots... so its been around me a bit anyway.

I went to the doc on Nov.30(Monday) and they removed my staples... yay!! I was literally dancing out the door!(well..feeling like I could anyway).. but yes.. slow and steady seems to be a key for me. If it hurts I don't do it, if there's any question as to "should I", I don't do it. Thing is, I'm doing plenty, very active again, and slowly ramping my efforts.. very slowly.. but I'm finding the best thing for me now is walking... Just a few times a day, half-mile usually, I did a mile one day.. which is unheard of for me in my later years... and I'll do another mile in a few days again. Here I am walking a mile, when just over 2 weeks ago I felt like it would take a crane to even pick me up.

The staff in the docs office was surprised as I strolled up there with my cane.. just like a pro(I've had alot of steps with that thing lately).. One of the ladies sort of questioned me, and said they didn't expect to see me walking so soon(I was 14days post-op at that point).. and I replied, "nor did I"..

It started me thinking, as I'd questioned this all along, since I started taking steps, and actually walking..I've wondered for days "should I be doing this?, should I be able to do this?".. stuff like that.. So I'm sitting in docs office waiting to see him thinking maybe I'd be in trouble for walking so much.. The PA came out to get me(take me into exam room), and she commented "you're walking very well".. to which I said "I know.. should I be?".. me asking as I didn't want to be in any trouble... she told me that's exactly what I'm supposed to do.. and that's what they want, and its for my own benefit... I was relieved at that.. very much so.

So they take the XRay(usual stuff).. doc comes in.. very impressed... made me feel like a million bucks.. very proud of his and my work. He wanted to see me walk.. I did.. very good. Then he got curious.. he asks if I can walk without a cane... well.. I didn't really want to tell him that I practiced it a bit(just another step in recovery I think).. but I said yep.. although I'm not ready to leave the cane. I can walk unassisted very easily... with no limp. We chatted about it, and I told him it feels un-natural to walk without the limp, and without the cane... but I'm working on it.

He said its my old habits coming through, and that it will take a while to break that, and it's a natural thing to feel "un-natural" after these kinds of changes.. but keep concentrating on perfect steps, footing, stride, and consistency, and the muscles will develop the "muscle memory" again.. in no time to walk normally and smoothly, as I once did quite a while ago.

I asked how long I needed the cane, his response was as long as I need for my confidence to come back, and get some experience walking in public, crowds, and different settings... So based on my performance, he's letting me be the judge, and I'm doing my best not to let anyone down. He worked hard to fix me... I'm working hard to be fixed... so its all very good, and moving forward... I have no time-frame on how long I'll have the cane though... and no hurry to let it go.. That cane does more for me then hold me up.. those things are excellent tools that will do so many things its unreal.. I'll miss it when its gone.. but I know someday soon it will have to go away for a while.

Still.. no lifting.. no carrying anything heavy.. other then my own body. I go for walks every day.. I'm eating very well.. all good foods.. the more color the better... loving sea food, and grilled anything, and drinking lots of water... and I've lost 6lbs since my surgery.

Thanksgiving was marvelous... as ours lasted all weekend with family over, hanging out, chillin, playing games.. simply an amazing weekend, which is probably why I haven't posted in a few days or more... life is definitely returning.. Thanks to all for your support.

This is an amazing story of recovery, and my own unbelievable experience, everyone is different, but we all have hope, that's why I'm sharing, as I was one not long ago that needed that... and I'm here to tell you, there is hope, there is recovery, and there is definitely life after hip-replacement... and it just gets better.

Sign me, The Walking Man. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@DGrant great update! Sounds like you are really on track with this recovery. Well done on the great progress.
 
Reading how your recovery is going makes me just want to go ahead & get on with this new hip thing. That's terrific that you are feeling so good & moving so well.
 
Reading how your recovery is going makes me just want to go ahead & get on with this new hip thing. That's terrific that you are feeling so good & moving so well.

Thank you so much! What it is, is mind boggling to me... really is. I didn't know what to expect, except of what I've read...and what our oldest daughter went through.. She had hip replacement at 27yrs old(6yrs ago), and at that age she bounced back wonderfully....but at my age(53), I wasn't sold that it would be an easy recovery. She's been my biggest supporter and fan...... and she's very blown away too. I love that kid!.

We're looking into getting her other hip done now too, as the RA is taking its toll.. especially now in our colder winter months. I've known this for months, even though she hasn't said anything prior to my surgery, but I've noticed her stride is affected again at times by pain in her remaining hip. Her implanted hip is doing fine though. So long term on that is great. We are actually inspiring each other, and now we have, and will hang onto all the equipment associated with our conditions for our future procedures.. We're a team, no doubt.

The hardest part for me, now is staying on track, and keeping activity to a reasonable level, and my motors now running.... the engine is revving up... haha. Still not time for the total green light... must resist!

I Just had a real nice little breakfast, so now I'm going for my morning walk to work it in. Have a great day!
 
3 weeks post op today. Yee haw!! Really feel good. As each day goes, I do realize a little bit more it will take a while.. and it takes what it takes... but I'm in no pain, I'm enjoying life immensely, I'm eating like a king, best I've done in my hole life I think. Very pleased here...
I'm now walking at least a half-mile a day...I throw in a mile about every other day now.. easily. Still slow.. until I get on that sidewalk.. then look out. I find with using my cane, I can walk now at a very decent pace, enough to get the blood and muscles pumping.. I do slow down for curbs, and turns
Things did slow down a bit in the last 4-5 days.... compared to the first week.. there was something new every day in recovery the first week..... but there's nothing really new, or outstanding for about the last week or so..... just the walking that I've been doing for over a week or more now... Oh.... sleep patterns are returning to normal too... I'm waking up after a full night of sleep feeling great... no pain!
I couldn't sleep through the night(probably for nearly a year or more)before surgery.. Its so nice, as prior to surgery, I'd hate to wake up... it hurt waking up... and now I love waking up!

I can easily navigate my home without the cane, and I find its great practice. I'm not confident enough to venture out too far without it...although I'm sure the leg works great... my mind is still comprehending that.. haha...

I did kind of tear my incision.. the same day they took out my staples... so that put me back a bit... in that I just haven't been able to flex/move/stretch my joint/hip as I'd like too..... the movement just seems to stretch it too much.. I still have to be patient and let my incision heal some more.. I called the docs office on it... then sent them a pic of it.. it was just a small split that oozed a bit.. so I dealt with it just as they told me, and have updated them.. I think I'm on the downhill side of it... I hope so.. I'm tired of the "tire patch" on my butt... It looked like a perfectly good incision that's nearly healed this morning...

None of this has stopped me from walking.. ha. I love it.

I am so pleased with this procedure... I'd like to say I'll get the other one done soon.. but as of now, even though my remaining natural hip(right side) has some wear and tear, its functioning wonderfully as its now being helped by my new left hip.... I'm feeling very balanced lately.. I can see where my left hip will edge it out in time.. but both are working together just great. In only 3 weeks. Its true folks. :)
 
@DGrant -- doesn't your incision hurt? or the hip area that was 'cut through' to get to the joint? How are you feeling now at 3.5 weeks?
 
@DGrant -- doesn't your incision hurt? or the hip area that was 'cut through' to get to the joint? How are you feeling now at 3.5 weeks?

No pain at all. I am aware there's a small "mass"(for lack of better term) in my left rear area. About like I had something a bit thick in my left rear pocket... I know it will take time to build the area back up, and scar tissue will help a bit... but in laymens terms I think.... what I feel is skin/tissue/flesh knitting as needed to create the barriers and outer defenses for the bone/joint/muscle bond that's taking place within... it really feels like a deep wound healing.. which I've felt before a few times with some very deep(to the bone)..wounds..... and at this point.. I have no fear of anything... The muscles are starting to do a good job... and working together.... I'm not Superman... but just want to be coordinated.... and that's happening... slowly...

With minimal incision there's apparently no muscles cut(or very minimal with certain procedures..)... a very skilled surgeon(as I had).. knows the "muscle plains"... and makes the incision within the grain of the "muscle plains".. thereby splitting them... not cutting anything but outside tissue, and the sack that contains the original hip joint(and of course the femur and such..) .. and some/most of that depends on the recipient..and anatomics I'm sure... and of course your surgeons recomendations... This might be a very reason there's recommendations/suggestions on how to gauge a surgeons experience... I can't say that for sure... as I had other many indications for my surgeon...and alot of his history and reviews.. and one very personal experience with my daughter... with even that I sought more information...

I can say at a tad over 3.5 weeks I'm nearly back to my old tricks... feeling great. Just went shopping and left my wife in the dust... all without pain... and enjoying life every step. So.. yeah.. I feel great! :)
 
Well... Its been a while since I've posted. I've wanted to post something nearly every day, but the days are flying by.

I'm now 8 weeks and 5 days (65 days) post-op from my LTHR. I can't even feel I've had a hip replacement really. My activity level is what it was 5-10yrs ago, moreso even as I'm walking at least a mile a day.. I walk over 1.5 miles every other day. The pain I had for the last 2yrs is like a nightmare that's ended, all but forgotten.

As I've went through the holidays and such, every day there's something new I can do that I haven't been able to do for years... so many "first times post op" occur every day. I can now touch my left foot, I can put my sock on. I can even trim my toe-nails... albeit its a stretch..and takes a bit of time..but I find if I just "relax" and let the hip/leg/knee all work together its just fine. I have no pain whatsoever other then some sore muscles when I've exerted myself any given day, with that I can honestly say "it hurts so good!".. as each day gets easier, and its obvious things are regenerating at an accelerated rate every day.

I'm now working on stairstepping, and can easily "double step" up stairs. Before surgery I couldn't lift my left leg high enough to clear a step.. so I'd lead every step with the right leg, and drag the left leg up.. not now.. they both can get me up there in short order if I want.

I can also say, as I know my right hip might need a replacement in the future, just getting the left one going has eased the work of my right one dramatically, and I have no more pain in the right side either, and back pain is drastically reduced as well. I'm so amazed at all this.

I'm now back to my regular chores(yes, my wife puts me to work..haha..), I'm doing my yards, mowing my lawn(that's always been good therapy for me).. I don't think I've been this sure footed in over 10yrs.

The biggest thing occurred 5 days ago(right at 8wks post op)... I actually rode my motorcycle!!! (that big bike I have in my profile pic). That was a major goal.. and one I've taken very seriously, as I knew if I could do that, I could do just about anything. I worked my way up to it though.. I did not just jump on and ride. I practiced mounting and dismounting for a few weeks..I started with just slowly climbing up on it, then I'd just sit there for a little while(playing with the buttons..haha)..just to get a feel and let my muscles relax and settle.. then the same thing the next day.. that went on for a week or so before I actually even took it off the center-stand. Then one day I decided to push it off the center stand and just hold it up and see what it felt like.. and I just practiced holding it up a bit. This all went on for a week or more... then one day when the streets were quiet, I took it out in the neighborhood and rode the quiet streets for a half-hour.. making sure my legs could handle stops and starts, and the lifting/moving required to ride that bad boy... then.... I looked up at the Sierra mountain range, pointed it in that direction... and I was like a duck to water.... and a VERY comfortable duck I have to say. Any and all pain that I had, and any instability in my hip was replaced with a very stable, solid, strong leg that has no problem happily doing what I tell it to... Riding my bike is better then I remember! I'm so happy!

My wife wants to ride with me, and I'm working up to that, but I want a few hundred miles of just getting to know my rig again.. as well as let a bit more time and strength build before I do 2-up on that bike. We've ridden thousands of miles together, and we've got thousands more... and it will be better then it ever has.

I've got a third follow up in early March, and each one brings good news. Nothing is shifted, everything is healing. I don't even feel where the incision was other then the scar that's there... and again, as far as feeling like I have an implant.. I don't feel a thing.

I can feel near the end of the days my legs get tired, which is my clue to settle down for the evening.. its all very reasonable, as I know I'm having full productive days, all pain free, and what I get isn't pain, rather just a slight bit of weakness that I consider totally normal, as I can work my tail off... I do have to remember I'm not 30 anymore...although my hip/legs/body sometimes thinks it is, my mind has to stay in the game and remember my limits.. and I'm telling you, its not hard... nothing is hard anymore.

To all those that are needing hope.... please hold onto that hope.. It's all possible!!! That and so much more. The best though in all cases is one step at a time. Before you know it, you'll be doing everything and more then you've ever done.

My hope is that each and everyone that go through the pains of arthritis and joint disease gets relief, as it is out there, there is relief from this terrible disease. I'm living proof... just 66 days ago I wasn't able to walk unassisted, now I can jump on my touring motorcycle easily and ride 100 miles non-stop, get off and walk a mile, jump back on it and ride home, and still feel fine to take my wife to dinner... all with no pain. Yep. :)

I will check back in here from time to time, and I will never forget what I learned from you awesome people...

I say from the bottom of my heart, Thank You to those that take the time to do what you do on the website, you've really helped me, and I know you're helping hundreds and more people every day. Thank You.
 
Oh wow that was great to read! A little over 8 weeks & you are doing so much. I have a vacation planned for the spring further out than 8 weeks so reading this makes me pretty confident I'll be able to do the things I want on that vacation. Mostly hiking & being able to move around quickly with my family & them not having to go slower because I couldn't keep up. It's ski season now here in northern Michigan. Obviously no cross country or down hill this year for me, but I know I'll use all that gear next year. Happy that you got to stop just looking at that bike & now know that it's yours to go out enjoy when the mood strikes. I have to say that I have a new respect for orthopedic surgeons. I guess I'd never really thought that what they did was any big deal. It is! To go in & take out a worn out crappy joint & replace it accurately takes pretty darn amazing skill & confidence. They give people back their lives, and I'm so glad I got put into contact with my OS.
 
Sweet, glad you got that big rig cranked and rolling. Nice work.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom