TKR 46 year old's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations , now the tricky part comes when you get home. Do not miss a dose ! Proper elevation and excessive iceing is the name of the game. Also remember not to over do it. You are healing, not training. Prune juice will be your friend for about 10 days ! Medcoach is a excellent phone app for med intake and alerts etc. Best wishes, Iceman
 
For the first two or three weeks, I mostly took it easy. I spent a lot of time in bed with my knee propped on three pillows

Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

after two weeks, much of the swelling was gone and I could move forward with exercise and movement. Don't underestimate the importance of getting rest and allowing healing to happen in these first few weeks.
 
Just for the news they are going to released me today to go home. May take a couple of days before I checkin but so happy. Have not slept here at all. So so so excited.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Sorry my messages may be jumbled. Pain meds still affecting my ability to type on phone lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
You sound like you are doing great! Remember slow and steady wins this race. Ice as much as you can - it should be your new best friend!
 
Day 2 at home still waiting for in home pt to show up errrr. Exercising with the range machine they dropped of today. Elevating , icing and I actually got 4 hours straight if sleep last. Wow. That was nice.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
woo hoo for 4 hours. Very good.
 
@cbrniner good job on icing and elevating which is the key along with meds taken regularly Great job on getting 4 hours sleep awesome
 
Just another update. Last couple days have been riddled in some pain. Well actually a lot of pain But pushing my way thru. Oh and by way still no in home PT therapist has showed up yet. Suppose to be today. But have been in the range motion machine thing for 6 hours per day but do it 2 hr intervals Up to 60 degrees on machine and I'm still elevating and iceing


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
It's good you're taking breaks on the cpm. I could never stay in it more than an hour or two at a time.
 
@cbrniner If the CPM machine causes you pain, cut back on it. It really has been proven that it make a difference in the long run. Hubby never had one and he is doing fine. If it isn't the machine causing the pain then you may need more or different pain meds. What is your pain level?
​
 
another quick update .....My in home PT guy Scott was here Thursday and Friday Thursday was a bad night of pain but got thru it , Friday night was best night ever slept 4 hours straight , I was so Happy I thought it was a dream ... To be honest some of the pain has been a lot more then I ever imagined but I know its going to be a good thing for me down the road ..... Wednesday I go to see DR to have staples removed and tomorrow is all day football here and my friends organized a little potluck to spend the day with me and I am looking forward to the company LETS GO BUFFALO !!!!! lol Anyway will try to update more often ....oh almost forgot still having problems pooping nada good one a couple of days ago but it seems to not be regular since i hadn't gone since then , but it felt great ...Sorry for being a lil graphic but you should all know that feeling .... lol appreciate all the input and well wishes as well ....
 
@cbrniner. Glad you made it to the other side! For your pooping issue lol...take some magnesium....it really helps! I hoe yiu start feeling better soon. I had my second one done on the 12th of September. I feel your pain! Hang in there. It goes away...eventually, LOL. Hugs


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@cbrniner. It get better in time . Try a stool softener along with something like Miralax. Prune juice works really well also especially warmed. If you have to push thru the pain, you may be under medicated. I'm sure someone will be here along shortly to ask about your pain meds and the dosages. This surgery is definitely a marathon not a sprint when it comes to recovery even though we all recover at our own rate and it can't be rushed . Patience and more patience and then some more patience is what you will need as you progress. We bone smarties are here to support you.
 
@cbrniner glad you made it to the other side. I get my staples out on Tuesday. Same bowel issues here too, I have IBS which makes it harder to know when is too long between bms. Lots of pain here too and worried about next physio appt as he says he has to move my joint and that sounds painful. Here's to pain free days ahead of us!
 
@cbrniner Hope you enjoy your friends and the game. Prune juice really works well for my hubby. Sounds like your pain isn't being managed well, let your OS know.
 
@amber777 you poor thing with IBS. I don't have that but I do have horrible constipation. My rule of thumb is once a day. If I don't have one once a day then I have to take something. I prefer magnesium or even prune juice like tiredwife suggested. I hope yiu get that managed as well. I know my back and stomach hurt a lot when I'm not regular. Big hugs!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hope you had a good football day. Keep taking the stool softener. I think you'll be a little more comfortable when the staples come out and hopefully the meds and ice will start helping more soon.
 
...getting caught up tonight on some threads....sounds like your are doing okay...it can be a nasty recovery, but I trust you will be through the worst before you know it. Best wishes.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom