TKR 4 weeks post surgery - walking with knee tightness

@slk85 Hi and welcome to Bonesmart. I've had a similar kneecap tracking issue with many of my knee surgeries, including my knee replacement 2 yrs ago. I'm no Dr, but I've done lots of PT over the years. For me personally, I found my kneecap tracking problems often came from having a VERY tight IT Band and having muscle weakness in the inner part of my quadriceps muscle (the part of your thigh on the inside of your leg, NOT the outside---the IT Band is on the outside though).

I was told this happens to me after most of my knee surgeries because of my anatomy and how wide my pelvis is, plus I naturally tighten up all over and have to stretch almost every day to keep my legs happy. I especially have to keep my IT Bands loose or my kneecaps track to the point of causing severe, sharp pain when I go up stairs, like something under my kneecap is catching rubbing the back of my kneecap. Strengthening the inside of my quadriceps helped tremendously too, as that part of the muscle acts to pull the kneecap the other direction, therefore stabilizing things.

Again, this is just my experience, but I hope it helps.

--Lisa
 
Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your response and it is spot on.

This is something that I have been discussing with my PT. My inner thigh muscles, especially the VMO muscle, are pretty weak and my IT Band is very tight. There is also a bit of swelling still which is not helping.
My PT has given me some stretches and exercises which work in the inner thigh muscles. My surgeon also prescribed a knee brace until I feel comfortable with strength in my quads and inner thigh muscle. I have actually been working out with both legs as my normal left knee/ leg also seems to be weak.

Thank you for your advice. I think it will take a while to strengthen the muscle so will keep working at it.!

Best Regards
Slk
 
Guess I am doing okay.
5 weeks today and am only on Tylenol.
My PT added some ankle weights when I do leg lifts and other leg exercises.
Kneecap is still slipping a bit but the PT and Doctor say I need to build up all my quad muscles but the knee brace helps.
Was on a bike for the first time for 10 minutes with no issues.
Still feeling a burning sensation around the kneecap.
Will start pool work this weekend
Will continue to keep at it.

This is going to take a long time!!!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom