Polkadot
graduate
Don't let your worries about family "judgment" get in your way as you do activities with them. (Yes, families do "judge," too!) Let your level of fitness be what it is, and be up front with them when you need to walk more slowly, take a short break, etc. You are important to them, and your participation is more precious than how fast you walk or whether you can keep up!
I suggest that you make sure they understand about the price you pay the next day(s) if you overdo. We often suffer in silence, partly because we're ashamed that we're still healing when we think we should be all done with this stuff. Children (grandchildren, too!) can be especially compassionate if they get the facts; yet they don't "baby" you like adults might. They accept "what's what" and adjust!
You went with your son on the outing. As a mom, you are probably used to keeping a stiff upper lip and hiding any problems you might have. After the outing, did you let him know the next day that you had to "rebound," but that it was fairly quick, and that the discomfort was well worth being with him and the grandchildren?
I suggest that you make sure they understand about the price you pay the next day(s) if you overdo. We often suffer in silence, partly because we're ashamed that we're still healing when we think we should be all done with this stuff. Children (grandchildren, too!) can be especially compassionate if they get the facts; yet they don't "baby" you like adults might. They accept "what's what" and adjust!
You went with your son on the outing. As a mom, you are probably used to keeping a stiff upper lip and hiding any problems you might have. After the outing, did you let him know the next day that you had to "rebound," but that it was fairly quick, and that the discomfort was well worth being with him and the grandchildren?
United States

I'm still hovering on the edge of dipping my toe into a local pool. I know it will be good for me, but from past experience, I also know that going there, suiting up, taking a pre-pool shower, participating, then another shower with hair wash to get chlorine out, can take up most of a morning! It requires a lot more commitment than getting out and walking, which I'm doing daily.
When we had our carpets replaced with wood, my DH seems to have thrown out or donated the box that held most of my exercise clothing, including swimsuit. I could deal with the exercise clothing; I just moved a couple of pairs of leggings and T Shirts into that category from general use, but...Boy, do I hate finding a decent suit that covers all my sins!!!





