Guest viewing is limited

TKR 4 months out

Thank you and yes i am rushing it. It just seems like ive been at this forever already.
Thanks for helping me with this site....
 
Hang in there; you'll get there!
 
Good news today! Met with new pt.
Will go 2 days per week. One day will be aqua therapy in the pool with her in the pool as well. Other day will be inside and she will do deep tissue massage on numb areas. It will all be work but looking forward to it. HOPE. She did mention (to all the brave people on this site) that tkrs are the toughest to get thru! I know that now.......
 
Oh gosh, yes. It's a long and, alas, painful recovery that involves a moving body part. Movement hurts. On the plus side, as you gain more function, your optimism will grow and things really start looking up!
 
hi Lynn (i think that's your name). i saw on another thread that you went to a concert ~ was it the john mayer concert? how was it and how was john mayer? i'm so sorry you were in so much pain. hope you can rest up this weekend. oh and Happy Birthday, not sure what day it is but what a wonderful gift from your kids, tickets to see john mayer!
 
Ok new post. When I started this journey I had been in pain for more than a decade. Top of my head I feel I have replaced one kind of pain for another. I dont know how long this will last. I had been seeing a orthopaedic surgeon for the decade. He did 3 out patient meniscus/cleaning out. numerous shots, etc..My ins. changed this year. I could still see him as my Dr but ins wouldn't cover the hospital he used. So i had to find another dr.. I now want to go back to him, knowing my future will have issues with other knee. You think my old Dr would have a problem with that?
In my 11 week visit I did not even have surgeons attention for the typical 15 min visit. And i had to wait an hour to be called back. I told him of my numbness in thigh, lower leg, foot and palm. He quickly tapped my knee, leg and foot and just said 3 times - not worried then left. I thought he was coming back to talk more about my numb hand, but that was my visit . My last Dr always walked with me to share my xrays. How could new Dr think i wouldn't want to see my.xrays!! My concern for numbness - had a TIA on the same side in 2015.
I am just frustrated.
 
@1delapisa You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
I just caught up with your thread and share your frustration with the doctor. He was quite brusque, wasn't he? :blackcloud: I don't think your former doctor would mind at all if you came back. It's worth a try. If you need to have surgery on your other knee, though, will you run into the same situation and have to get a different doctor? Something to consider.

And isn't it wonderful when you can walk and not think at all about your knee? It's one of the best feelings in the world. :egypdance:
 
For the 1st time since surgery I have swept, dusted and vacuumed my down stairs - where I have hung out alot.....Ok so it's not really finished yet because swelling is being iced. And yes, i took a tramadol and ibuprofen before starting. If i do what I should do my knee is manageable. But im sure we all get caught standing, sitting, walking, etc 10 mins too long!! Still can't stay in that walmart or grocery store longer than 20 mins..I live on my own so the yard is mine to do, well just all of it. Swelling, pain and fatigue, not necessarily at the same time. Stairs are a bear. How funny they didn't start that way after surgery. All in all I'm healing and surviving! I've been working since I was 6 wks out. You ladies on this site are still the only ones that understand. Well meaning friends will say "oh, shouldn't you not be feeling pain by now"?
I am in awe of those going back soon for knee no.2. I said in the very beginning that i was not a very good patientlook finally found the emojis...! Thanks for being there -
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey...my emojis didn't show up!
We don't use emojis here on BoneSmart, which doesn't work like Facebook or Twitter.
Instead, we have Smilies - just click on the smiley face at the top of the box where you write your messages and you will see them:
Smilies now in categories

(The writing in blue provides a link to an article.)
 
My knee and leg and back are very angry. I went all day yesterday going and going, job then grandkids, son working on my house, just standing most of the day feeling good. Today EVERTHING hurts, even those zingers are shooting. I'm paying the price for doing things I guess I'm not ready for. It's hard to stop and tell your family I should lie down and ice. So upset I'm in pain today, its a beautiful day and I need to be working in my yard. Still have to wait to see neurologist on the 19th as to why I have so much numbness still and it still affects my palm. Trying to keep believing this will not be my new life, that it will get better........
 
It will get better, @1delapisa . It just takes time.

Try to remember that this is a year-long recovery and you're not quite a quarter of the way there yet.

Given time, you'll be able to do all those things without your knee and the rest of your body complaining. For now, listen to your knee and try not to overdo things again.
You may have to remind your family that recovery from a TKR does take a full year, and you still to take care of your knee.

So, have a big day of rest today - forget the yard; it will manage without you for a few more days. And when you do go out there, only work for short periods. Split up the work into easy segments, so that you can feel you've achieved something, without over-working your knee.
 
I'm a month ahead of you, and I think you can look forward to feeling better a month from now. A month ago I went to my niece's baby gender reveal. It was my first day since surgery with no icing during the day. Just hours of standing, sitting, talking, and eating. No place where I could put my legs up for any elevation. At least I could sit, right? And I thought I handled it well. I did handle it well and the knees were only a little sore that night.

The next day? Sore, swollen knees. I spent that day with my legs raised and ice packs on my knees. I didn't take my daily walk. I was good for nothing. And I napped. I slept for two hours in the middle of the day. Except for this recovery, I NEVER nap. But that one day wiped me out and I needed that nap the next day.

The exhaustion of recovery is so very real. I would not have believed it until it knocked me for a loop. This past month has seen my energy increase. Yours might, too. Or it might take another month--or two. There is no "One Size Fits All" recovery timeline. Your yard work can wait a few days. Most things can wait until you're ready to tackle them.

I hope your neurologist visit goes well and you can find some answers and, better yet, treatment for your numbness. I can only imagine how disorienting that must feel. :sad:
 
4 months out! Went to nature park with son and grandkids. Even though I've been pretty good about exercise my thighs let me know how our of shape I'm in. Of course tkr knee is more numb than anything. But muscles deep down on both hurt. Rebounded quickly after stopping but i want to keep up with my family! Advice??
 
Try not to rush those activities. Just do a little so it doesn’t hurt after. I know we want to do things with our kids and friends, and we will, but in time. Some discomfort after an activity might not be bad, but too much discomfort is not fun! You are only a third the way through a year or more long recovery. You are still recovering from major surgery, you are wounded, not out of shape.
 
I just have to be reminded. I don't have that bad knee anymore but foot to upper thigh numbness! It's so wierd.i dreamt about how much fun that little hike was and the fall leaves coming out soon. Patience, patience. Thanks Jockette......
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom