PKR 4 hour ice pack myth

Today is 6 weeks post-op. You know what that means? Hot tub time!

Also, got measured with 117 degrees flexion and 6 on extension, 3/4 if pressure applied. I didn't work too hard to get to these numbers but the therapist did yesterday in our preparation. Will be interesting to see if those numbers change over the course of weeks or months, with the conversation around the "magical" 6 week mark. On that, how easy is it to get one of those tools a PT uses to measure? I think it's called a goniometer. And can my wife use it to measure me?

I saw the goniometer on Amazon, there's also an app not 100% great reviews but interesting.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/energy-drain-for-tkrs.11953/

I don't think I've linked properly to the Energy Drain for TKR article. It's real. I got on a scale 6 weeks after surgery and much to my surprise found I lost around 6 lbs. It's not like I've been doing a lot of exercise in the mean time. Healing really does take a lot out of us. I know I've been feeling that fatigue.

Ken

"Graduated" from outpatient physical therapy today. Final flexion measurement of 122. Not as good extension, it's 5 or 6 degrees. Of course she could push the knee down to 0, but not sure what that means, and it didn't feel very good .

So 7 weeks out I'd say I felt as "good" as I did pre-op. I'm curious as to when other folks remember reaching their pre-op level. I'm sure it continues to get better from here.

My knee wasn't bad so I think at 9 weeks tomorrow I'm probably not as good as I was pre op, being that if I overdo the swelling is definitely limiting. Good news is it's going to keep getting better, yay!

7 weeks is a drop in the bucket in this year long recovery, even for a partial.

My ROM improved after my first anniversary and also after my second anniversary.

Where you are now is not where you will end up.

7 weeks is a drop in the bucket in this year long recovery, even for a partial.

My ROM improved after my first anniversary and also after my second anniversary.

Where you are now is not where you will end up.

Just downloaded the Goniometer Pro by June Gaming. This is the same jinfra app that people here were talking about awhile ago, actually years ago ⏰, it has a jinfra.com email address. Looks reasonable, probably overestimates a litle. It measured me at 126. I'm definitely interested to see what is says in the future. Just have to make sure I don't obsess on this new tool

The number can be deceiving. I had some pretty good numbers in my first 8 weeks, but they were all forced, by my PTs and my surgeon.

Those high numbers were worthless at home, or in the car, or on the stairs, because I couldn’t bend my knee to those numbers myself, and my knee/leg wasn’t healed enough to actually perform that number.

Then at 4 months post op I had a major setback, setting my ROM back to maybe 90-ish due to swelling. It took a month to begin to improve, and I had another setback at 5 months, due to a 3 day family affair that was unavoidable.

After those 2 setbacks my ROM took months to come back. I was so stressed.

I am now more than 2 years post op. I haven’t been measured since my one year check up, but I know that not only has my ROM improved since then, my whole leg has relaxed more than it ever did in that first year. And, it has also improved since my second anniversary.

Proof that there is no window of opportunity, and things can improve past the second year, as I am now 4 months into my third year.

@Woodpusher Your flexion is awesome, and I can't help but be a little jealous. :) I'm at 105 now, but it keeps getting a little better each week. I was lucky to get my extension back easily and am at 0 unless I've been sitting for a few hours.

I'm curious to see how people answer your question regarding pre-op pain and feeling "normal" versus post-op. I have no idea when I'll feel better than before surgery.:what: I wasn't one that chose TKR because I was suffering with excruciating pain. I was able to control the pain (mostly!!) when I quit exercising completely last October. My gait changed though, as my leg started bending inward last summer, affecting my other knee (also arthritic), my left ankle, and my lower back. I had constant grinding/sticking episodes when my knee wouldn't cooperate--- so just lots of structural stuff that seemed like a ticking time bomb. I often wondered if I was making the right decision though, as my pain wasn't constant or excruciating like many people's is.

I know I've already noticed little improvements---things one might laugh at, as we're all so different. :) 2 yrs ago I began having trouble switching my foot from the accelerator to the brake while driving. At that certain angle of bend, the bone spur on the outside of my knee rubbed badly, and the joint would stick temporarily at just that one angle. If I drove long distances, I'd often have to break it loose when I went to get out of my car. So when I started driving again last week, it didn't take but 1 or 2 stoplights for me to realize the sticking/grinding in that position was completely gone.:yikes: Even with significant swelling, there's no bone spur sticking out anymore because it's GONE!!! :happydance:Both big knobs, one on each side of the knee, were removed. Now I have this new knee profile that I can't remember seeing in 10-15 yrs.

I'm also amazed at how my scar tissue can't be heard stretching/pulling anymore. The knee isn't popping all of the time either. It's just so quiet. :) :-) (:I guess I'm looking for anything and everything, knowing the surgical pain will be hanging around for a few months yet.

Just downloaded the Goniometer Pro by June Gaming.

Thanks for the tip @Woodpusher ! I downloaded the app too as I've not had a formal measurement by physio yet and dont see them for another 2 weeks

My flexion lying down in a heel slide position is 70 (only 2 weeks post op and still very swollen) and sitting on the edge of the bed with assistance from gravity its 81

Will also try not to obsess using this tool, but it is good to have a benchmark :thankyou:

Thanks for the tip @Woodpusher ! I downloaded the app too as I've not had a formal measurement by physio yet and dont see them for another 2 weeks

My flexion lying down in a heel slide position is 70 (only 2 weeks post op and still very swollen) and sitting on the edge of the bed with assistance from gravity its 81

Will also try not to obsess using this tool, but it is good to have a benchmark :thankyou:

Sure thing. Good luck in your recovery!

Ken

The number can be deceiving. I had some pretty good numbers in my first 8 weeks, but they were all forced, by my PTs and my surgeon.

Those high numbers were worthless at home, or in the car, or on the stairs, because I couldn’t bend my knee to those numbers myself, and my knee/leg wasn’t healed enough to actually perform that number.

Then at 4 months post op I had a major setback, setting my ROM back to maybe 90-ish due to swelling. It took a month to begin to improve, and I had another setback at 5 months, due to a 3 day family affair that was unavoidable.

After those 2 setbacks my ROM took months to come back. I was so stressed.

I am now more than 2 years post op. I haven’t been measured since my one year check up, but I know that not only has my ROM improved since then, my whole leg has relaxed more than it ever did in that first year. And, it has also improved since my second anniversary.

Proof that there is no window of opportunity, and things can improve past the second year, as I am now 4 months into my third year.

Wow, so at months 4 and 5 you wound up overworking the knee? I was thinking of resuming almost everything at the 2 month mark and not looking back. Maybe not, that's in 9 days and I don't feel like I could do any running now.

Two months is really too early to be resuming all normal activities.
remember, this is a year-long recovery, so give your knee the time it needs.

Wow, so at months 4 and 5 you wound up overworking the knee?
I sure did. At the time I would have thought I was past that problem.

Those two set backs really set me back. But my main point was, my ROM eventually came back, and is still getting better 2+ years post op. :happydance:

So, for anyone reading this, if you are in the early months, don’t stress about your ROM. If mine came back, yours will too.

Two months is really too early to be resuming all normal activities.
remember, this is a year-long recovery, so give your knee the time it needs.

Well then, I'll have to sit out our local summer tennis tournament.

@Woodpusher The husband of a friend of mine had his TKR done by my surgeon in February. He was already out on the baseball field playing in a competitive men's league in early June---baseball too, not slow-pitch softball.:yikes: I couldn't believe it. My friend (the wife) isn't exactly happy about it, but what can you do?! :no-fin:

She thinks he's nuts, but he also lives for it and thinks since he's only 51, why not??!!! :fingersx:

@Woodpusher I spoke with her yesterday, and he's been having more pain that he expected the last 2 months. He fully blames himself and his baseball obsession/midlife crisis.:rofsign:He is getting around fine with some pain and stiffness, but he knows he returned to sports too soon. Unfortunately it was "that time of the year" though.:whistle: He just ices it a lot.

I just don't get it. After 20 yrs and 11 knee surgeries, and losing so much of my time with my son/husband, I wouldn't DARE risk it. That's just me though. Once I get some life back, I'll be perfectly happy that it's not like when I was in my teens/20's.

@Woodpusher I spoke with her yesterday, and he's been having more pain that he expected the last 2 months. He fully blames himself and his baseball obsession/midlife crisis.:rofsign:He is getting around fine with some pain and stiffness, but he knows he returned to sports too soon. Unfortunately it was "that time of the year" though.:whistle: He just ices it a lot.

I just don't get it. After 20 yrs and 11 knee surgeries, and losing so much of my time with my son/husband, I wouldn't DARE risk it. That's just me though. Once I get some life back, I'll be perfectly happy that it's not like when I was in my teens/20's.

I was in a rush to come back after my 1st meniscectomy but not now. The recovery article on this website indicates coming back to normal activities after anywhere from 3 to 6 months.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties