Guest viewing is limited

THR 3rd Times A Charm on the Other Side'

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did the next session go! Was it gentler?
 
@Teacup I'm doing ok. I walk unassisted at home most of the time,but use a cane when I go out. I saw the surgeon the other day. He lifted hip precautions. I walk with a limp and my knee kind of goes in a little when I walk. He tested the strength and flexibility of that knee, which he replaced last year. He said it was good and the turning in might be due to how I'm walking. We are working on that at PT. it really bothers me. I also have some groin pain which the doctor said was probably tendinitis! Not to do leg lifts. I hope that goes away too. I wish I remember my recovery from my other hip replacement! I feel like I'm behind!!! Now are you doing?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@copsham my next sessions of Pt are ok, the therapist is very cautious now! Things are progressing but I'm not satisfied with my progress.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Mbone I'm battling the same things you are...correcting my body's pre-op bad habits. My knees are sore as well, PT said it's the tight IT band as well as my torn meniscus. Can't catch a break! I'm not allowed to get off the cane until my hips are level. Slow going. Waiting to turn into a swan. But I am able to stand with my feet together without bending the knee of my hipbaby. That's huge!

So sorry about your tendinitis. Glad you're slowing it down to give your body time to catch up with your will. Stay strong! :cool:
 
@Teacup we will get there... Slow and steady wins the race! It gets me depressed sometimes. I just want to be able to carry without any discomfort. My stamina is not there and I must admit...I am becoming lazy! I have to push myself! I taught myself how to crochet and that really occupies me, but does not get me moving!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Not lazy @Mbone! I think it has more to do with just being tired from the surgery and the toll healing takes on our bodies! It's a mental effort for me to get out of bed in the morning or up from a chair because of the physical effort it takes and discomfort it causes to simply walk. Today at PT the therapist had me stand on a platform with my non-operated leg and push my hipbaby leg behind me, keeping it straight without my back archinkg. Should be so easy but was near impossible. Went about two inches and my back started to bow. I have such a long way to go!

I'm planning to try a therapy pool this weekend. Have you used one with this or prior joint recoveries?
 
@Teacup unfortunately my PT place does not have a pool. I feel like my progress is at a stand still. I tire so quickly when walking. I use the cart at the stores which helps. I still limp and surgical leg seems longer. I've been forcing myself to get out of the house and walk. Even went to the hardware store, which I hate! Sleeping is now bad! For some reason I just can't get comfortable!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Mbone My PT place doesn't have a pool either. I went to a community pool 30 minutes from my house. They have a "therapy" pool with a ramp and handrail, and the water is warmer than the full sized pool. I quickly found out that this pool is essentially the kiddie pool as I was surrounded by parents and little darlings in arm floaties. Made it very hard to walk across the pool, especially with the splashing from their little feet hitting me in the face. At least I got to do all of the standing exercises my PT gave me. I had expressed interest in water therapy so my PT kindly gave me things to do. They also had a large hot tub and I was able to walk back and forth there with no cane. It was awesome until my knee started to hurt. It gives me as much pain as and sometimes more pain than my hip!

So did you find any new hobbies at the hardware store?

Try a Benadryl for sleeping. Knocks me out and I sleep through the night!

My hipbaby hip sits higher than the other and it's a constant battle of retraining my muscles. My IT band is super tight and sometimes pops over my hip which is quite painful! I'd be lost without my PT. She's correcting my gait and loosening me up.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Teacup we need a new fence, hence off to the hardware store. I did start a new hobby though through this process... I taught myself how to crochet! Now I can't have enough yarn! Lol! My daughter and I went to a quaint little suburb yesterday with great outdoor restaurants and little shops! I can only walk about a block and a half without having to stop and sit! This is really bumming me out! My PT has me do many exercises to build strength in the hip, but it really does not help with walking stamina. I think the only thing that will help with that is walking and more walking. Are you stiff in the morning? As for Benadryl... I take 2 and still have a hard time falling asleep!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Good for you! Crocheting looks hard to do. I used to know how to knit dish cloths, but that was a long time ago.

I think you're right about the stamina; you have to do it to build it.

Wow, you really do have a hard time with sleep! I'd probably sleep through two days if I took two Benadryl!

I don't know if I have hip stiffness because my knee has taken over all sensations (torn meniscus combined with tight IT band). Hurts so bad now when I try to walk (still with cane, PT said not ready to lose it) that I actually went back to crutches yesterday to keep any weight off of it. I massaged my IT band for hours trying to get it to loosen up. It's so tight it feels like a bone, not a muscle. Very painful to massage, but have to do it. PT removed squats from my exercises as that was making it worse. On the up side, my range of hip motion is improving with my other exercises, so that's the only good news I have. I'm right there with you on the bummed-out bench! :hairpulling:
 
Hello @Teecup
Hope yu get to your pool. I found hydrotherapy a real treat. When reading your post I looked at the info at the side of the thread to get a picture of how old you were. 99 it said. I thought WOW thats pretty good and then saw that was the number of your messages LOL. I think you and @Mbone will have will have a lot of friends joining on the bummed out bench. Its 7 am here and I am tired from lack of sleep!
 
I sometimes feel 99 @copsham! But I'm still a "child" of 54. Looking forward to the day when I'll be glad I had this surgery. Hopefully I'll be younger than 99 when that day arrives!

I've read some hippies post about taking prescription sleeping pills. I don't have any firsthand knowledge but imagine that might be an option when sleep is so elusive. I don't have trouble falling asleep but sometimes wake up a few times during the night to reposition, which can be a bit challenging. But Benadryl knocks me out so much that I don't wake until morning. Love that!
 
Think I will try Benadryl - Most things seem to work for me for a few days and then back to my current normal of 4 hours if I am lucky. Oh well .... mustn't grumble ...... !
 
@Teacup I'm being released from PT tomorrow. My walking is improving and I think my stamina problem is also a result of being out of shape ( not that I was ever in shape) ! I get winded after a while. I have asthma also and being so sedimentary for so long... I have a hard time with endurance! We've been working with stairs, going up and down with one foot at a time is ok. It's the going up and down like an adult is the hard part! There really is not much more PT can do, so I'll be given some things to do at home, I still have hip discomfort and take two ibuprofen in the morning. This, and a hot showers seem to work. My niece got married last Saturday! I did dance but paid for it the next day! That was a pain pill night for me...but so worth it!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Teecup
Ask your GP if you can try Trazadone. My GP (who is very conservative prescribing meds) said it works by "keeping" you asleep, rather than putting you to sleep. I take a very low dose and have slept through the night for several years now. I had horrible insomnia prior to Trazadone and now I sleep like a baby (he also stated its not addictive like sleeping pills are).
 
Congratulations on your PT graduation today @Mbone as well as your niece's wedding and your hippie jitterbug! You've come such a long way! So sorry to hear you have the challenge of asthma. I sympathize with the added hurdles that must cause you when trying to build up your endurance. Stay with it and don't give up so that you can be your best! I, too, rely on daily Ibuprofen for the chronic aches and pains; they're worse in the morning for me, too. That's why we need to keep our cabooses going with the post-PT therapy and exercise lifestyle. If you don't use it, you lose it!
 
Hi @Mbone
I just read in your thread where you had a knee replaced and hip replaced on the same leg.
I'm in the same boat.
Did your knee get better?
I'm 7 weeks post op and my knee is very stiff and tight still.
My hip was replaced after an attemp to fix a femur bone break that did not work; My knee was replaced 5 yrs ago.
I just started putting wt, ie. walking, this week and I my knee feels stiff and tight
It was great before the accident
Real interested on how your knee is doing and any advice on what you did to get well
Thanks
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom