THR 3rd Times A Charm on the Other Side'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went straight to my assistive preference, crutches. The walker was just too bulky and awkward for me. Still using both crutches and barely any weight on operated leg, might be because I've gone backwards on pain. Have been almost three days with 0 pain meds and have risen to a level 3. But if i had to choose, I'd take that over the debilitating headache the oxycodone gave me. Clean from headache now and ready to turn my attention to the hip pain! :tiredwheel:
 
I'm still on pain meds. I've been doing strengthening exercises to get this leg stronger. My home physical therapist want to try the cane next week. I do not feel strong enough. Maybe I'll have some drastic changes over the weekend. Sometimes my knee hurts more than my hip! I'm so worried about loosing my range of motion on my knee.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @Mbone - whenever I read your user name it reinforces to me that it is our bones, our recovery and we are best placed to know when the time is right to move through the range of assisted devices. Please don't let anyone push you if you don't feel up to it - slow and steady wins the race and explain this to your PT -- best wishes :)
 
Don't fret. One day at a time. As I'm sure you've seen multiple times throughout this site, let your body be your guide. If you're ready, you're ready. If you're not, you're not. In the words of a famous, blonde animal lover, Que Será, Será! (Showing my age!)

I do sympathize with you about your knee, though. As if the hip isn't enough to deal with! I have moderate OS in the knee of my non-operated leg and the doc started my RTHR with a left knee injection so that it could support my hip recovery. I need to "bone up" on how to care for knees so that hopefully, I won't ever advance to the point of knee OA that needs a replacement. :beg:
 
p.s. I will tag @Jamie regards your concern regards your ROM with your knee. Sorry, I can only imagine that there is a lot of compensating happening. Best wishes :)
 
Thank you


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Tomorrow will be 2 weeks post op of my right THR . I'm still using a walker but hope to graduate to a cane this week. I can't help but think that my hip would be stronger had it not been been for my 1 year old replaced right knee. I wonder if It's holding my hip recovery back! Right now pain is minimal, but still taking pain meds,me specially before PT. I'm still icing. It seems to relieve the healing itchiness. Tomorrow will be my first full day alone. My husband has been home with me for two weeks, but he must return to work. I've been practicing walking the kitchen counters getting myself food, I am pretty independent and will be more do once I'm using a cane!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Mbone, you and I have the same birthday.. Small world :)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Mbone
How are you feeling today on your own? I would imagine one would get used to certain "security blankets", such as servants (spouses) etc! Hope your knee/hip improve daily!

@Teecup LOVED that movie and Doris Day...Yep, I'm old too!!!
 
So far so good for my first day flying solo! I made eggs and ham for me and my dog ( my nurse companion). My dog does not leave my side! He follows me everywhere and if he is in front of me...he stops and looks back to make sure I'm coming! I'm a little sore from navigating the kitchen... But doing ok and waiting for pt to come.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Ohhh, how precious! I'm happy you have one of your best friends with you today! Our pets really do help us get through a lot! I have an orange tabby (Milo), who does the same thing! He always has to be out in front of me, but every two or three steps, he turns his head around and makes sure I'm right behind him...lol!
 
I can't help but think that my hip would be stronger had it not been been for my 1 year old replaced right knee. I wonder if It's holding my hip recovery back!

@Mbone please don't think like that. You are recovering exactly on time for your unique set of circumstances. We all are. Just think of the independence you now are capable of with your husband at work! That's far beyond anything I can imagine right now in my first day!
 
@angleHippie Thanks for your encouragement! How are you doing?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I'm on my first full day at home so I'm working on getting the routine down. I feel pretty well. The home PT was here today and said I could skip the crutches and use a cane if I want. The crutches feel very awkward to me, especially on stairs.
 
I had. Two and a half week check up with the surgeon! X-rays are showing everything is in the right place. Hip precautions for another 3 weeks. I go back July 7 and hip precautions will probably be lifted. . The PA said to massage the incision area using different textures because nerve endings will be very sensitive. I'm feeling pretty good..actually my knee bothers me more than my hip! I'm still using a walker, but starting to use the cane. Everyday get better! I taught myself how to crochet so this is keeping me very busy and my mind off of my discomfort! Discomfort is a good way to describe my pain... Discomfort... Like a bad tooth ache!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Sorry, Mbone.....I just now am catching up with your thread. You've been through quite a lot in the past couple of years! But I think you're doing just fine.

Knees can be a bit harder to recover from than hips, so it's not surprising that your new knee is hurting a bit with this latest surgery. It's having to pick up a lot of slack from your left side that's in recovery mode. Be sure that you're not trying to push yourself too hard with activity or exercise at this early stage. Also, be sure you allow yourself plenty of time in transitioning from walker to crutches to cane to nothing. Your knee will appreciate the extra support a walker provides in these early weeks and you shouldn't transition to any new walking aid until you master the current one with a good long stride and no limping. Remember.....this is all only temporary.

Your knee is strong and you won't hurt the implant. But you can make some of the soft tissue angry and that may give you some swelling. You won't lose ROM as long as you're up and walking about a couple of times a day, although if the swelling gets going, you may temporarily regress a little with the knee. It's best not to let that happen. If you need to ice and elevate your knee at the same time you're doing your new hip, that's just fine!!!
 
@Mbone I was told to massage my incision also. It's tender and sore still. I Googled techniques. ....did your doctor give you any specific suggestions? There are lots of products out there so I wonder. Be well!
 
Yesterday I overdid it! I had to
Get out! I went with my daughter to the mall. We had a mission and it was to get what we wanted and get out! However, the walk between the two stores was longer than I thought! I brought my 4 wheel walker, with a seat, in case I got tired and had to sit. My arms gave out before my hip! This is taking such a toll on my upper body, especially my arms. I can use the cane, but not when going out yet, so the walker it is for a while!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Mbone my I'm such a terrible beating when I got to the crutches and the cane. I have a bad tendonitis in my left elbow which got wild when I used the cane. It takes a toll on all body parts. Sounds like the mall was too much and a rest day is in order. :)
 
Yesterday I had PT. I was aware of everything that he did, from exercises to the stretching of the leg. I even walked a little without a walking device! Nothing was too painful at the time! However, once I got home...the pain was through the ceiling! I couldn't walk...I had to use the walker and only go I my toes! I was crying with pain! Today it's better bit not as good as it was before Pat. I know if it hurts don't do it... But it didn't hurt at the time! I'm scared to go tomorrow! I'm going to be sure to tell him all about it and that we have to take it slower! ! I think he woke up muscles that have been sleeping for years! I will NOT be that uncomfortable ever again!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom