Revision TKR 3rd time around on left knee

Jayann, do remember - infection is a RISK not an inevitability. Try to bear up and hope for the best!

I am trying to hope for the best! If there is an infection, it will be much more complicated than just fixing a fracture. I have never been to a rehab facility before because I always came home weight bearing and could rehab myself pretty well. Does anyone have a guess about how long the stay will be The doctor didn't really say. If I can't go home I would rather get out of the hospital into a rehab ASAP.

When I was in the midst of an infection and the dr was unsure of whether I'd need a spacer (which meant toe weight only) going home or to anyone in my family's houses would have been difficult because of steps. My house has 13 steps to the main floor of my ranch and everyone else had steps to get to a bathroom or into the house. It's hard to maneuver steps with no weight or even toe weight. What does your home look like? Is it conducive to non-weight bearing?

@Jayann, I was non weight-bearing for 5 weeks recently because of my broken ankle, so I know what you will be going through. I suggest you get a wheelchair. You will also be needing your walker. If you have a removable boot and are allowed to shower, you'll need a shower chair unless you have a step in shower.

I was unable to use crutches. If you can't either, and have steps, then they are a problem. I could go down OK with holding on tightly to the handrails and hopping down, but coming back up was the problem. I had to come up on my butt and scoot across the porch until I could pull up on a chair. Hopefully, you will be stronger than I am!

If you have any questions, I'll try and answer them.

Does anyone have a guess about how long the stay will be The doctor didn't really say.
Sadly that's what we tend to call the "how long is a piece of string" question! It depends upon so many different things and is, unsurprisingly, completely different from person to person. Best you can do is go and read the recovery threads of others who have trod this path. Have a look here

I made it through surgery. I had it August 1st. I am now non-weight bearing on that leg for 6 weeks - the hardest thing ever. I am dealing with 2 hostile sons, who believe I should have gone to a rehab facility, who, after much negative communication would only take me for 5 days anyway. They believe I will be non - compliant. They don't get that I have no choice. It is non weight bearing - period. I have a scooter and have red home health care, which costs as much as the skilled nursing would charge me, and they are assessing my home and safety and what I need to do to make the house work for the time being.

How does everyone else deal with hostile family members who think you are impeding our own recovery?

Oh that's a tough one and I feel for you. I'm afraid I really don't know what to suggest.

How does everyone else deal with hostile family members who think you are impeding our own recovery?
I know what i would do, but that may not be your way!

I would tell them to stop telling me what to do, say that I am in charge of my own recovery, I am obeying doctor's orders, and they will have to accept that. In addition, I'd tell them that all the jobs around the house are now theirs. You've probably been doing things for them their whole lives and they're annoyed you can't do it now. It's pay-back time now. Time for them to grow up and learn to accept responsibility for caring for someone else.
Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help

34 ans 36. The 34 year old lives with me and has been helping to care for me for the past 9 months. The older one is married and is expecting his first child in October. I am hoping being a part will give him some perspective. They believe that I did too much over my last recovery and sabotaged it. Despite being told by doctors this is not so, they blame me for the failed healing. I am so upset sometimes that they are so selfish and verbalize it. I can't believe sometimes that they are so awful to me. They are not supportive and the older one is very distant but very close to his grandparents (on his fathers side, mine are deceased) and see them at least once a week. I can go weeks without seeing him and he was resentful picking me up from the hospital today. I would never had treated my parents this way. I couldn't do enough for them.

I'm the mother of 2 adult sons and I'm telling you, those boys need a spanking! What in the world? Now, having said that I guess I'm on the other end of the spectrum, where my youngest son, 28, has nary said a word about my surgery or asked how I'm doing. To be fair, his wife does all his talking :) and that's fine, we get along and she asks all the time. My oldest, 31, is much more caring. But they don't live near me these days and so it does make communicating more difficult.

But I can relate on this level, every time I've vocalized that I think something is wrong with my knee post surgery, my husband, who is normally very supportive, keeps saying "you're fine, do the exercises, listen to your doctor, blah, blah..." He thinks my TKR is very similar to his recent shoulder surgery where he had a tear repaired. But then again, I suppose this is why men don't have babies! @Jayann stand strong and stand your ground. I think by this age we've earned the right to listen to our instincts.

I couldn't do enough for them.
Therein lies the whole problem! Your sons grew up seeing you as the one who did everything and they never learned to do their share.
Unfortunately, in your desire to do the best for your boys, you taught them to be lazy and selfish. It's hard for you now, because they didn't learn how to be nurturing or independent. All they can do is criticise you for being sick and needing help.
34 ans 36. The 34 year old lives with me and has been helping to care for me for the past 9 months. The older one is married and is expecting his first child in October. I am hoping being a part will give him some perspective. They believe that I did too much over my last recovery and sabotaged it. Despite being told by doctors this is not so, they blame me for the failed healing. I am so upset sometimes that they are so selfish and verbalize it. I can't believe sometimes that they are so awful to me.
It's very hard for you now, but please don't allow them to do this. They need to show some respect for you.
Tell them to shape up or shut up.
Your older son needs to be home at his place, helping his wife.
Invite your younger son to leave your home, if he can't be helpful and respectful.

I'm the mother of 2 adult sons and I'm telling you, those boys need a spanking!
I agree.

Invite your younger son to leave your home, if he can't be helpful and respectful.
I agree with Celle. Now is the time to concentrate on your healing only, not trying to satisfy this selfish, self-centered son of yours. He is old enough to be out on his own and you'd be much better off without him there having to worry about his hateful mouthing off to you.
My heart goes out to you, Jayann.

Jayann - just read all of your posts..........oh my.......

I do hope your recent surgery was successful, healing is underway, and family understands........... ~Pat

Jayann,
Glad to hear you have some outside help while you are recovering.
Sending positive healing thoughts your way.
:console2:

@Jayann, how are you feeling this morning? My prayers are with you!

Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't posted for awhile. I am feeling better. There was/is no infection! My issue now is my leg will be 1 and 1/2" shorter due to the surgery and my leg remains pretty swollen. I am 5 weeks into 6 weeks of non weight bearing but I can't believe that it will be enough time off of it - it is still swollen. They didn't take out the stitches for 30 days! I have never had stitches in that long before and as very afraid it would be difficult to take them out but it went OK. I just worry I will never walk normally again. My foot looks like it will be pronated but i can't tell due to swelling. I was in the hospital for 5 days.

Hi Jayann......good to hear from you......... your leg length disparity makes mine pale in comparison......PT found an apparent shorter , much shorter than yours, leg length disparity that I plan to have people peek at and determine how valid/true when the time is correct...... Hope you are receiving supportive care at home from friends and family to help you continue moving forward.....Be well.......for what it is worth, try to take one day at a time....lots of positive energy; positive thoughts; healing foods, and prayers for you..... ~ Pat

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom