Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

THR 36 yo in recovery

OP
OP
A

amb3k9

Country
United States United States
Started PT yesterday, was able to bike for 5 mins but I don’t have any strength at all in my glutes at all. Can do straight leg raise or lateral or posterior at all. Still really early, still some swelling and still fairly painful with movement. Hopefully those muscles wake up soon

It is frustrating in young people when you felt so fit prior to surgery. You start worrying about possible nerve injury but this soft tissue is still pretty angry as they had to go back in after I was already closed. I did a Military physical fitness test (on a bike) about 10 days prior to surgery but couldn’t really walk well afterwards. Surgeon said it was bone on bone and joint was trashed but everything else is great. So was time to do it and it was significantly affecting qol.

May have to tell PT to back off a few days as my hip replacement wasn’t completely straight forward with increased op time and bone graft needed. Have to be patient with myself

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
increased op time and bone graft needed
Very early days to be trying to do those exercises. But with your complications I would give it months not days or weeks. You won't lose your fitness level. The muscles and soft tissues are just injured. Let them heal and they will work for you again.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi and welcome to the frustrating and often confusing recovery period of THR.:unsure:
I was fairly fit prior to my surgery too, and worried that things that weren't working right were permanent byproducts of my surgery.
I discovered that trying to force my legs to perform before all of that trauma from surgery has a chance to heal and settle was counterproductive and actually stimied recovery time.
Please don't do any of that...let those poor injured legs heal...and you will find that things will go better.:yes:
This is where you have to work on that patience muscle which is usually the weakest of all recovery hippies!:)
Just walking is enough these early days.
All temporary...so keep the faith!:friends:

OP
OP
A

amb3k9

Country
POD 8 now. Seemed to really turn a corner yesterday and was able to use walking sticks around for mobility. Only took 5 mg x1 of oxy at night but otherwise only Tylenol and Celebrex. PT again today and may take some more before my appointment to be as useful as possible. Muscle still pretty weak but seem to be waking up.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Glad you are getting like being more mobile.:yes:
PT again today and may take some more before my appointment to be as useful as possible
Make sure it is helpful and not something you have to get over these early days.
Wishing you a good weekend!
Slow wins this race...but oh my...what a payoff!:egypdance:

Last edited:

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Started PT yesterday, was able to bike for 5 mins but I don’t have any strength at all in my glutes at all.
Did you not see our advice in the second post of this thread? It's titled BIG TIP and goes

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better.
They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi, Happy Monday! @amb3k9
If you choose to engage in PT, please remember to STOP if anything hurts.
At only 12 days post op, your leg needs to heal, not be pushed through the rigors of therapy.
A great week to you....please stay in touch. :)

OP
OP
A

amb3k9

Country
Doing fairly well. Having standard muscle pain in groin and glutes. Weaning off pain meds and almost completely off controlled. Also having some deep anterior mid thigh pain, but I think that is normal in this acute bone healing phase

OP
OP
A

amb3k9

Country
Update:

THanks for the support on this forum. Will be 6 weeks tomorrow! I am still using 1 walking stick as a walking aide but often don’t need it. What most bothers me at this point is a muscle pain in groin, likely illeopsoas muscle. If I sit for more than 5-10 mins, then it is hard to get up and get started. Almost like a false start. When I get moving and it gets warmed up, I have no pain at all. Joint overall feels amazing. Recovery has been mostly uneventful. Had a small GI bleed taking celbrex and ASA at same time. Stopped ASA and went back to xeralto and have been doing fine since then. Flew back home from place of surgery to 2 small kids. Have been kicked a few times in the incision and ran into by a 2 yo accidentally which makes you grit your teeth, but overall doing great.

Second is LLD: they made me longer on purpose as I will have right done eventually and they will “catch” up. It is over 7 mm per X-ray but feels longer. Likely will get better with time.

If any other advice or questions, please feel free to post.

otisbeagle

Country
That’s terrific that you’re doing so well!! Gotta protect yourself from the kiddies!! I am a 42 year old (also hip dysplasia, which was only recently diagnosed) with a one year old boy and a psychotically active dog, so I’m also getting kicked regularly. Blah!!

I suppose you’re right that doctors can be challenging patients, but at least you command a certain level of respect from other docs, and they are probably relieved to be able to explain procedures to you in detail. Since I’m not in medicine, a lot of trust is involved. It’s like that Seinfeld bit when he boards the plane, and the pilot describes every detail of the route. Seinfeld shrugs and says, “Hey,do what you gotta do, but just get me to the destination I paid for.” As long as everything goes well, I don’t need to know about every twist and turn.

But seriously, it seems like you’re recovering quite well despite a complex surgery.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties