BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] 30 days and still recovering <

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Marvin L, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Marvin L

Marvin L member

United States United States
    Yes, Norfolk and a muscle relaxer n aspirin. Are they rough with the leg to dislocate the hip? Is that what causes the leg pain not I slept for about 10 hrs last night. And calf was hurting bad, so I’m trying to walk around my house and stay up and see if that’s better. I appreciate any feed back. This recovery is hard, can become depressing.

2. Marvin L

Marvin L member

Yes a opiate and muscle relaxer. I’m trying to stay up today and puts around the house. I slept so much last nite. I put on shoes, which helps some, had been using slippers but feet hurt. My foot is so swollen shoe barely fits. Anybody gone through the swelling pain in the leg, particularly in the calf and foot. How long before it got better?

3. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Very rough. Many members experience more pain in the leg, thigh, knee, foot area than the new hip. Ice everywhere - it has all been through major trauma.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Marvin L

Marvin L member

Yes. Spoke to dr, they are calling me in steroids and nerve pills will keep you posted, if it helps.
    Thank you.

5. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Recovery can be hard and does have its ups and downs. I hope you have company and aren't alone.
    Wondering also if you've been out of the house at all? Sometimes just getting outside into the fresh air and sunshine can help lift your mood during these early days / weeks of recovery. Even a car ride can help if someone can take you for one. It will get better. Try not to gauge progress by days, but weeks instead. Every weekend, look back to the previous weekend and I'm sure you'll realize there was progress. It really does get better.

If you haven't been through the Recovery Guidelines yet, try to read a couple articles a day. It may help explain a lot and ease some of your anxiety.
    Hope you have a nice evening!
    @MartinL

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Marvin L

Marvin L member

How many weeks are people on walkers, switching to 1 cane?

7. Marvin L

Marvin L member

15 days out, today. Swelling is terrible. When I wake up, pain in calf, ankle and foot is terrible. And the cask of the heal pain in unbearable, feels like all of the fluid settles there and it wants to pop, burst. A little better when I get moving. They must be pretty rough on the leg when they manipulate it to dislocate the hip. God knows what they do. I assume that is why there is so much swelling in the leg. What’s crazy to me, is my hip pain is tolerable. It’s the leg swelling and foot and calf pain that makes want to cry. My Dr is calling me in a script for steroids and nerve pills. Hope they help. Hope the rest of you are having a easier recovery than me. God bless.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Depending upon approach they do maneuver the leg aggressively in an effort to dislocate the hip.
    Envision cutting up a whole chicken and you'll catch my drift. It will ease with time.

Read the Activity Progression For THR to make sure you're getting in enough activity / movement at this point of recovery. http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

We're here for you...hope you have a good day! :SUNsmile:
    @Marvin L

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Mayhip8

Mayhip8 member

Oh @Marvin L - I'm so sorry your having a painful recovery. Please explain it all to your doctor clearly won't you? I find it useful to write down ( or show him your messages form here ) to help him understand your symptoms
    It does get easier with time, do you have support at home? Can you get some help and others to chat to nearby ? Keeping in touch on here is good but someone to have a good face to face natter and a cuppa can make all the difference to your day and recovery. It's very early days yet - be kind and patient with yourself yes? I wish you well .

• Like Like x 2
  10. Tarajeane

Tarajeane junior member

I am so swollen as well, my foot is all black and blue I can’t even wear shoes. My knee pain is the worst of it all. I don’t have any hip pain well maybe a 1 or 2 in pain. I wear my compression socks al day over the knee and also wrap my knee. I take them off at night but put it back on before I get out of bed. Also do ALOT of ankle pumps to get the fluid out and move your leg as much as possible. Doing knee slides. This is what my doc said and it is working except for the knee pain. I ice it a lot and going for an mri next week of the knee. My doc and physical therapist thinks it’s related to very week hip thigh muscles and my knee taking all the pressure. My knee pain started 10 days after surgery. Are you working with a pt? I do but she does very gentle exercise to many strength my thigh muscles and I always feel better after.
    Hope the pain get managed and goes away soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Tarajeane

Tarajeane junior member

Also about the heel pain, I have this as well when laying down. If I put my calf on something low so my heel doesn’t touch the bed it makes a huge difference and doesn’t hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Evi

Evi junior member

@Marvin L
    Sorry to hear about the pain you are having

Out of curiosity does your dr have you wearing the TEDS stocking ?
    I heard that helps keep the swelling down a bit - but not everyone can use them due to conditions they may have

Personally I think when I switch to a cane for a short period of time the leg swells a bit more
    But elevating the surgical leg - and honestly icing almost continuously has helped me out a lot

I hope today is better for you

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Marvin L

Marvin L member

Thank you, I have the socks, I will try today. How many weeks before you switched to cane, I’m thinking about it but I’m a little nervous.... this is quite a journey.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Evi

Evi junior member

@Marvin L - I wouldn’t say I actually switched to a cane - I use it for quite short stents - up and down stairs of course - and if there’s no one around to carry my walker down the stairs I’ll use it the short distance from stairs to kitchen
    Then around the kitchen as I move from counter to counter
    Yes cane definitely doesn’t give quite the sense of security the walker gives - pt actually told me not to move on to cane yet - but was ok for limited use when not much choice - I’m taking that advice as I feel it fits my circumstances

I’m 1 week post op today

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Marvin L

Marvin L member

Yes I’m taking a opiate and muscle relaxer. Today my foot hurts and the ankle, and calf. Actual hip pain is not so bad. Why does the the leg get so swollen? I tried to find a video of the process of dislocating the hip, I imagine they have to use a lot of force. I could find a video, guess they don’t want you to see the positions they put you through, while your unconscious. It has to be hard the break it out, to dislocate it. Anybody ever worked in the operating room and saw what’s done? How long before I should get some imaging done on the swollen leg, knee, ankle, foot. I’m just frustrated, thank God the hip is healing nicely. The rest will follow. How come some people don’t have swelling? Thanks for letting me vent. I like this sight, has given me lots of insight. God bless all of you. And have a speedy recovery.

16. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:sad:I'm so sorry you are struggling...I do hope things ease for you soon!
    Hope you are icing as much as possible.:ice:
    Healing mojo coming your way.:friends:

17. Marvin L

Marvin L member

This morning, upon waking up. My calf and ankle and foot hurt still. It’s a strange pain, like nothing I have felt before, aches and just hurts, guess the swelling causes this. God I wonder what they did to my leg, while I was under anesthesia to dislocate the hip, anybody know? Dr called me in a cripple for a steroid pack, methylated dosepak and gabapentin, a nerve pill. After reading the side effects, I’m afraid to take them. Has anybody else had swelling with terrible pain? If so, how long before it got better?
    Thank you.

Also, anybody taken steroids 2 weeks after surgery?

And now knee pain, what is going on? I would like to change my title on my thread, how do I do that?

18. mainegirl1

mainegirl1 senior

Have you seen your OS in person? Usually there is a post op visit due sometime around now.
    I expect that my knee will hurt.. My hip in its journey downhill has transmitted its angst to my perfectly good replaced knee. As my gait is changing my knee protests And of course night time is the worst!
    I suspect the same is happening to you of course in reverse as your hip is good but your knee isn't used to the new gait. Nor your feet..

Best if you don't compare to others.. Use walking aids for as long as you need to. I will always use trekking poles for hiking whether or not I have an ailment.. Prednisone makes me ravenous . I had to take it for two weeks after pneumonia.. Other than gaining five lbs not much side effect. Usually your doc knows its OK to prescribe those for you otherwise he/she wouldn't.

I am expecting recovery to some sort of normal in 12 weeks.. With the knee nothing much happened from post op to 6 weeks at all..at 12 I could ride a bike for half an hour and then 15 miles after a couple of short weeks Of course every recovery is different but it is slow going at the start for most.

Maybe @Josephine can help as she has questions that get to the point. Swelling seems to be the bug.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

Tell me what you want and I'll do it for you.

@Marvin L I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

20. Marvin L

Marvin L member

Thank you, for the encouraging words. God bless you.