Guest viewing is limited

THR 3 years post OP left THR issues

@Celle November 17 2017 and November 27 2019.
I’m terrible with dates had to look it up
 
Thank you for providing the dates which are now reflected in your signature.
A great rest of the week to you! :)
 
@okiediver I'm glad to see you are getting some good insights about the tendon release and the different approaches..

@Mojo333 scuba is the most relaxing thing ever and the bonus is I DONT HURT underwater! Now, getting in and out of the water is another thing.......my goal in Fiji this year (October) is to not need any help with that. We will see.

My husband and I dive also! it is very relaxing. We were hoping this would be our year for a nice dive trip.. but I think it will need to be on hold a bit longer. I hope you can pull up onto the boat with absolutely no issues!
 
Thanks all--Surgery scheduled for June 5th. Open method so he can review the cup all all things around it. I am nervous but hopeful this will be my ticket to resume a normal activity. Thanks to all of you!
 
Feel free to continue with questions (or just come for reassurance) and let us help you through recovery!
 
@CricketHip your dive time is coming! I have asked the DM's to take my gear off and on once in the water for 2 years now....its doable, but Id rather do it myself. Good Luck!
 
I think I'm good to go for now,, it's my husband that we need to get clearance for. We shall get there.. my goal is for a Bonaire trip.. there's plenty or places to go in and practice our skills and relax before going on the boats, etc. We had high hopes for this upcoming August, but it's not to be.

June 5! That will be here before you know it. I am wishing you the very best of outcomes. One of the moderators will add that to your signature.
 
Bonaire is one of my favorite places....I was there last year but had difficulty carrying the gear big time.Hoping to circle back in the next year or two.

Yes I am stoked I got in so fast but I played the "I need to be able to dive by Sept card", and he bought it....he knows what it means to me and how long I have been suffering.

Thanks for well wishes and I am so excited about being able to walk again.
 
It's great that the Dive Masters are so helpful. Our last trip was to Roatan Honduras in May of 2019 and I was still recovering from knee replacement. I could get in the water ok but no way I could get up the ladder with all the gear. Having them take the BCD and tank from me while still in the water was the difference between diving and not.
 
Yes! I have had same experience, we are headed there in March 2021 and always have the same DM as he is excellent and knows my story. He also loves the big tip!!! Worth every penny— I joke and say next time I come I’m going to pay you to rinse my gear and stow it all away and get it out every morning to LOL
 
@okiediver had the same issue on my left hip. I had surgery
Nov 5, 2019 THR.
Now I walk with little limp. I still can't lift the left leg to put my panties on. The groin area hurts me and it feels stiff.
 
@okiediver, I have tried something that may help you, it‘s helping me a bit, but I should do it more often. (I’m lazy) I got a treadmill and I strecth before going on it. I usually do it for 30 min. So stretch that groin area really well for 10 min. and then get on the treadmill for 30 mi, see if that helps. Also put heat.
 
@Gretelin thanks for that--I have spent 3 months doing just that! My gait has not gotten any better. Im worn out lol. I have noticed when I am on pain meds my gait is better.....so that tells me when Im not in pain my body can walk normally--prob not perfect once the issue is gone but with more therapy maybe it will be much better which is all I am asking for. I can deal with the panties thing, I dont love that I struggle with that but its the WALK I cannot live with! I can walk a block then I am in a lot of pain. ARGH! I also fell for the second time yesterday--I am unable to lift my left leg fully and it has caused me to be unstable and that scares me. Im ok, but Im sore this this morning.
 
Another stretch that you and @Gretelin might try is using the treadmill (slowly) to walk backwards, increasing the length of stride as you go before you walk normally on it. My PT always had me do that.
 
Now thats interesting! I can see how that would be good for stretching! Thanks!
 
I’m so glad you have a date. Open procedure might be a bit more uncomfortable but if it helps make sure everything is okay, then it’ll be worth it. My hard fall up the stairs at work and an almost fall on the driveway convinced husband and OS it was time to move ahead with release. I thought my foot had cleared the obstacle and it hadn’t. Not fun. Haven’t had it happen since. I’m glad you have that diving to look forward to. That would get me motivated! :)
 
Oh you guys make me jealous with your diving! I am only a snorkeler and was very worried that I wouldn't be able to get up onto the boat after my accident. My closest place for under water is Indonesia which is fantastic. I know I'm digressing! I worked hard in the pool and my aim was to be able to climb the 2 steps at the deep end to get out! Didn't have a hip replacement but full of metal as smashed hip and all wire and pins to put me back together. Hopefully after the madness is over I can go back to Indo and snorkel again!
 
@Kodiak I have ALWAYS wanted to go to Indonesia! Or Australia for that matter! Snorkeling is just as good when you have beautiful things to look at! Good Luck I know you will do great!
 
@Celle thanks for the add. I have been diagnosed with Iliopsoas Bursitis and am having the tendon lengthened and full review of the left cup after previous THR 3 years ago. Im hopeful this will rid me of the horrible gait and pain I have when walking and doing anything but sitting or sleeping LOL.

Thanks again!
 
okiediver (and others) - How soon did your issues arise after your THR? My 3-month anniversary from my right THR is tomorrow. I've had an easy recovery and have been pain free for weeks until about two weeks ago. Groin pain started about then and has been increasing, sounding very similar to what you all describe. I guess I would have expected this to crop up sooner after the surgery, as I have been walking 2 miles at a time and biking since the 6-week mark.

I haven't been back to my surgeon yet - just starting to research what might be causing the pain and this thread definitely caught my eye! I'm trying to see if there are stretches, exercises, etc., that might help. Really pretty bummed by this setback.

P.S. - I'm also an okie (Tulsa) and diver.
 
Back
Top Bottom