ConforMIS

THR 3 years post OP left THR issues

OP
OP
okiediver

okiediver

Country
United States United States
Good Morning all. Thought I would give an update. I was not able to do sedation due to my veins--they blew 3 veins and I said no more. I always always have trouble with this, not sure why. Anyway, Im happy to report the shots have relieved about 80% of the pain so the issue is indeed my back and compressed nerves. 2 weeks now! Now I have lower back pain in a different area, waiting on Dr to call to discuss that. Once the pain went away, I noticed my left knee was screaming a bit. My surgeon took some pics and of course OA doing a number on them as well. He gave me a shot in the knee which has also helped. Im walking more balanced but still not correctly. I am grateful for the relief, but scared it wont last. We have decided to "live my life" for 6 weeks and see what happens and let things settle, then reevaluate. I know its muscle weakness as well but I just dont understand how all this therapy I have had hasnt made a dent in it. As stated above, it appears to be hip flexor weakness. So tired, and getting really down about it. I cannot walk further than about a block as things start hurting again, so its like as long as I dont do a lot of walking Im doing ok. We went to Maine last week, and getting thru the airports almost killed me. I was determined to walk but I sure paid for it.

Hip4life

graduate
Country
@okiediver I feel for you. This has been a long row to hoe. I think you’re right in just trying to live as normally as possible and see how it all plays out. Easier said than done, right? Keep doing the things that make you feel better physically and try and set your sights on something tangible, doable and fun in the short term. It’s all a balancing act that gets so skewed when dealing with chronic physical stuff. We’re here for you. Let us know how we can support you even if it’s just a willing ear or shoulder to cry on. ❤ Pat

OP
OP
okiediver

okiediver

Country
Update this week--went to new back doc to address the issues I am having and after reviewing my MRI he tells me its not my back. My symptoms do not jive with compressed spinal/back nerves and it even states "no neural compression" on the MRI--I had missed this in all the other FACET issues I have when I was reading. He said my back has some issues but nowhere near doing anything to correct at this point in time and would not contribute to the pain I am having.

Anyway, the doc does feel its nerve(s) related to the hip, not the back. He thinks there is a strong possibility something was disturbed in the replacement process. Lovely! That is a very low risk with THR but my luck has never been the greatest LOL. He is sending me to get an EMG test on Tues next week which measurse nerve activity and muscle weakness. Hopefully this will tell us something. After the research I have done hopefully it might shed some light. I def have muscle weakness which 9 months of therapy has not corrected.

The two docs are meeting today to discuss my case.

Ill give an update after next fridays meeting for the results.

If you know of anyone that has had one of these done I would love more info--it doesnt look too fun.

Have a great day and again thanks for all the support.

OP
OP
okiediver

okiediver

Country
Update: I guess I will need to find a back forum. :(

Turns out it IS my back. The radiologist missed the compressed nerves at L4. Unbelievable. My back doc found it after reviewing the MRI after I was in the office that Friday. I am so grateful. Its crazy how compromised nerves can affect something in your body that is so far away. After doing the research I truly feel THIS IS IT! Symptoms to a T.

Surgery is most likely in my future, but another round of shots is required by Aetna to pursue that. I go back for that on the 30th, but previous round only gave me 2 weeks of relief so Im guessing its just a make sure effort just in case.

EMG showed no nerve damage!

Thanks to all the support I have found in this forum, I am hopefully going to leave this dark place and start living my life again soon. Much love.

SaraK

supremo
Country
My mom had a bulging disc at L4 that was compressing the nerve and causing horrible pain shooting down the sciatic. She had surgery a few weeks ago to remove the disc. At first pain was no better and maybe worse but, within a week, pain was much better. Good luck (and I hope this virus doesn't delay your surgery)!

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
2Kittens
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom