THR 3 year anniversary today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Bonesmarties,

I have been on and off the forum for a couple of years. My 3 year anniversary of my LTHR is this Friday, February 28th, and it feels GREAT! In December 2013, I had a RTKR and I am still recovering but doing fairly well. My right hip, which is the source of all my joint problems, is now bothering me terribly.

A little bit of history: I was born with congenital hip dysplasia of the right hip, with the femoral head completely out of the socket. I had reconstructive surgery at age 6 after a number of other splints and casts as a baby. I have had arthritis in this hip for over 25 years. Because of the way I was bearing weight, my left hip and right knee took the brunt of the work and finally wore out. When I had the right knee replaced, the hip had to strain a bit with the added carrying of body weight that the right knee could not help with. I recently developed bursitis in my hip and also that tell-tale sign of groin pain, indicating advanced hip arthritis. I got a cortisone shot for the bursitis on Thursday and feel so much better. However, I am having trouble sleeping because the hip pain wakes me up. I have scheduled a surgery date of April 4 but the doctor wants to take new x-rays to see the changes from the last set of x-rays taken last August. I am attaching this hip x-ray for anyone knowledgeable to comment on. Not sure if he is going to cancel the surgery date after seeing the new films or not??

I am waffling back and forth about this decision. I just had right knee replacement 3 months ago. What will happen to my muscle strength? Will I go backwards in my knee recovery? And now that I had the cortisone shot for the bursitis, things are calming down in the hip. The pain is intermittent, which makes me question my decision. But then I waffle right back when I think that I'm not going to really get better until I do this hip, so what am I waiting for? My PT says that I probably won't truly be happy with my new knee until I get the hip fixed because it is the limiting factor.

Please forgive me for rambling. It really helps for me to get these thoughts down in writing.

[Bonesmart.org] 3 year anniversary today!
 
Josephine,
Thanks, I value your response. I know that I am a worry wart and tend to overanalyze everything, but it is a relief to know that my knee will be OK.

The angle is a problem and most likely contributed to the valgus knee deformity I developed (which is now fixed and perfectly straight again). I believe the doctor will be correcting the funky angle with a femur osteotomy, but I am not sure where he will make the break. Also, the socket is shallow--what is done for that--cutting into the acetabulum?
 
Has he not mentioned a hip replacement? I think a femoral osteotomy at your age would be a) curious and b) cruel. It's an extremely painful procedure and if the acetabulum is iffy, then a replacement would be the thing to do.
 
Yes, a replacement is planned for April 4th. If I understood the doctor correctly, the osteotomy is (possibly) planned in conjunction with the THR so that he can have better access to the joint in resetting the prostheses. He said he won't know for sure until he gets in there. My next appointment is March 20th when he will take new x-rays and go over the procedure. I do remember him saying that he will not be able to do the anterior approach on this hip as he needs greater access to the joint. Any questions that I should ask him?
 
If I understood the doctor correctly, the osteotomy is (possibly) planned in conjunction with the THR so that he can have better access to the joint in resetting the prostheses.
Oh I misunderstood! Now I know what he means. It's this, a trochanteric osteotomy, widely used in the old days to enable extra view and access to the joint. It gets wired back in place afterwards and generally doesn't impede recovery all that much but it can add to the pain a little.

[Bonesmart.org] 3 year anniversary today!
[Bonesmart.org] 3 year anniversary today!
 
OK, I will make sure I ask about that. I kinda went blank with fear when he said "osteotomy", but I'm pretty sure he said "femur" and not "trochanter". He never said anything about wires, either, so I will make sure to ask about that, as well. Thank you for the info.

It's a weird feeling to have both anticipation and fear about this upcoming surgery. I am both looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time.
 
Today marks my 3 year anniversary of my left THR. I just want to let everyone know that it feels GREAT and totally natural. I do not even give it a second thought anymore. The surgery is definitely a life changer. I want to encourage everyone to just hang in there because it does get better and better! Life is good!
 
[Bonesmart.org] 3 year anniversary today!
I think your feelings about your upcoming surgery are perfectly normal. You're looking forward to having your problem taken care of but dreading the fact that it involves doing major stuff with a very important part of your body structure. This kind of medical procedure seems to be the good, the bad, and the ugly all in one fell swoop! I can certainly understand how overwhelming it seems.

Just remember that you are not alone. All your BoneSmart buddies are here for you. Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
I am 3 weeks post thr and am doing very well here. Thanks for your post I am so happy for you. It is great to see a post that has no complications or complaints
 
Thank you. I am still recovering from my recent TKR on the same side and the thought of going through the whole recovery thing again is overwhelming. However, I am motivated when I think of the long-term advantages.
 
[Bonesmart.org] 3 year anniversary today!
@czak57! Just love it when a member achieves the "forgotten" hip. I have one of those, too. Your sharing is an inspiration to those awaiting surgery and those still in the early stages of recovery.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 3 year anniversary today!
    cheering crowd.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 150
[Bonesmart.org] 3 year anniversary today!
@czak57! Just love it when a member achieves the "forgotten" hip. I have one of those, too. Your sharing is an inspiration to those awaiting surgery and those still in the early stages of recovery.
You are all an inspiration to others so so happy to hear your positve stories thanks
 
I wish you the best for your april surgery. I am in the april folder, but don't yet have a date.....
 
Welcome back @czak57 , your case is complex but in general members here feel that THR recovery and easier than TKR. Sounds like you got a good result with your LTHR. Here's hoping the right one goes as well!
 
Fabulous.....!! So hoping that's what we all get! Thanks for sharing your positive outcome..it really helps! Xx
 
but I'm pretty sure he said "femur" and not "trochanter". He never said anything about wires, either
The trochanter is part of the femur so it's quite likely he wouldn't have used that term as he would know you wouldn't understand it.

As for the wires, some form of fixation is necessary as an osteotomy is just an intentional fracture created by the surgeon (as you can see from my images). Please don't worry about it - this procedure is a very familiar one to all hip surgeons to the point of being routine. I doubt it will impact greatly on your recovery.

Incidentally, the kind of osteotomy I referred to before was a totally different procedure altogether so forget I said that!
 
Josephine, Thank you for the merge-- sorry, I mistakenly thought since it was a different topic that it should get a separate post. Can I ask what to do with posting once I get on the "other side"? Do I start a new thread?
 
@czak57, you continue to use this thread even after your surgery. You can request a new title that might be more appropriate but just tagging one of us mods. We'll be more than happy to change it for you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom