Guest viewing is limited

THR 3 year anniversary today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pre-op for shoulder surgery on Friday and will be making a big pot of stewed prunes to snack on after surgery. Yes, I love prunes!!:) I also found that fig newtons and graham crackers work well. I also take Metamucil capsules every day. You can never be too prepared.
 
Thanks Josephine, my girlfriend is literally forcing me to start stool softeners already. I wanna start on the new year..oh well. Im gonna be proactive and ive read your articles. Very informative. Id also like to take a second to thank you for the valuable service you perform on bonesmart THANKS!!!
 
Personally, I just used natural laxatives to keep things moving while I was on the pain pills. I felt better having everything move through me while I was less active and all. As soon as I got off the pain meds, I got off the laxatives and fiber was enough. No harm done.
 
Hi @icep707...your surgery isn't until Feb. so I wouldn't start using stool softeners now...just a good, balanced, diet high in fruits and veggies plus regular exercise should be fine. Also, probiotics (I prefer to eat sauerkraut and other fermented foods) are important, as is good hydration. I didn't start using stool softeners until after surgery, and I'm starting to back away from those now that everything seems to finally moving along.:) We have to prep our intestines as well as our muscles for this event.
 
Thanks Josephine, my girlfriend is literally forcing me to start stool softeners already.

Hi @icep707...your surgery isn't until Feb. so I wouldn't start using stool softeners now...just a good, balanced, diet high in fruits and veggies plus regular exercise should be fine.
I agree---it is too early for this, and you have over a month, so I would just adjust the diet if it needs it, and make sure that yo are getting enough fiber---the fruits and vegies are an excellent suggestion.
 
I'm in the same situation, eight days also. My hub has given me two enemas which helped a little. Are you passing gas? If so it means that your bowel is active. Are you eating? Maybe there's just not enough material in your gut yet. If you aren't passing gas, then a visit to the ER may be in order. I think that the more I worry about it the worse I'm making it. I'll just keep passing gas :-(
Yes, I am eating, albeit lighter fare (salads, fruits), I am passing gas, and I can feel rumblings down there. There is motility, just slow motility. Still no relief at 10 days out. Hubby has 2 enemas waiting for me if I need them.
 
I finally had my breakthrough this morning and am feeling much better. I hope your turn is coming soon @czak57. All of that oatmeal, prune juice, salad, and fiber caps finally paid off.
 
I finally had my breakthrough this morning and am feeling much better. I hope your turn is coming soon @czak57. All of that oatmeal, prune juice, salad, and fiber caps finally paid off.
So happy for you! I know I will feel better once I have my breakthrough moment! Thanks for the encouragement!
 
Czak57. Sorry to hear no movement so far. A enema may be in order. Ive never really been once a day guy ,suppose my diet needs to improve. I auctually researched it and found out that not going everyday or every otherday is not abnormal. So that was a reief. However id like to be "regular". Hence stool softeners and probiotics but my problems is I hate taking pills and healthy food. This will change for the obvious reasons. New year resolution! Anyhow supernovas. Keep up the great work and hopefully works out and comes out!
 
I've had both of my knees replaced this year. I had terrible constipation after both. My daughter is a nurse and helped me after the surgeries at home. She gave me a mixture of milk of magnesia and prune juice. She used the cup that comes with the milk of magnesia to measure out equal portions of it and the prune juice. Worked very well and within 24 hours of taking.
 
there's always the nuclear option--what we nurses used to refer to as the 3H enema. (High, Hot, and a Hell of a lot.)

Speaking strictly for myself, I have never been able to take opiates for very long due to constipation. Though I would guess if I persevered I would become habituated enough that I'd get regular again. Maybe. If you take opiates until you are habituated then the opposite problem is likely to occur if you stop taking them abruptly rather than tapering down--just one more thing to look forward to.

I would encourage eveyone who has had the breakthrough to keep things moving along via adequate fluid and fiber intake. Eat your fruits and veggies!

As regards going every other day or so--no, its not abnormal, but in my opinion its not real healthy, either, since the longer that stuff is lingering in your colon the drier it gets, the harder it is to move through, and the likelier you are to have consequences like diverticulitis, rectal prolapse, anal fissures, fecal impactions, hemorrhoids, ick yuck. I've known folks whose usual pattern was to have a BM once every WEEK or two and I just cringe at the thought... they were not eating what I'd consider a healthy diet. (Jeano recalls this morning's very virtuous breakfast of bran muffins with flaxseed and rye toast. Let's agree to ignore the cream cheese she slathered on her muffin--at least it wasnt full fat....)
 
Who would've ever thought that pooping would be such a momentous occasion? Congratulations!! I don't know about you, but I can barely choke down another glass of prune juice :-)
 
Here on BoneSmart, we celebrate this as a REAL event!!!! Hooray!!!:dancy:
 
hey I can so relate to this post..I didn't go till I got home from hospital and I felt terrible up till then, my hubby went to the chemist and got every turbo laxative and stool softener that they had...when I finally went ..oh the relief...champagne...streamers..balloons !! :beer: After that I realized how sore my knee was...cos up till then I had been so constipated that it over took my knee !
 
hey I can so relate to this post..I didn't go till I got home from hospital and I felt terrible up till then, my hubby went to the chemist and got every turbo laxative and stool softener that they had...when I finally went ..oh the relief...champagne...streamers..balloons !! :beer: After that I realized how sore my knee was...cos up till then I had been so constipated that it over took my knee !

I have actually been feeling the same and wondering why my knee has taken a setback for no apparent reason. You explanation makes me realize why. Thank you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom