THR 2nd Shiny new hip installed and ready!

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 weeks today. This recovery has been a little quicker than the first. I have been driving since week 2, walking solo since week two. Outpatient PT 3 times a week since the day after coming home from the hospital. Of course, first outing out..I pick up a nasty cold! This is stopping me in my tracks today...so back resting. Good luck to everyone going through recovery right now. It is tough with the Holidays.
 
Hi Medfordart is was checking in on you and the four weeks has flown by. I'm so happy to hear you are doing so well and you have been walking and driving since week two.:wowspring:i just loved ready how much easier this second hip has been. I'm finally under a month on my second hip replacement surgery and I'm praying my surgery goes as well as yours:fingersx: after the horror if my first hip I'm looking forward to be more prepared and fingers crossed I get as lucky as you.:prayer: keep up the awesome recovery stay blessed and have a wonderful day.:wave:
 
Good luck @froggymom ! Happy you are almost there! I will definitely be there supporting you! This time you know what to expect...that helps. Now, to get rid of this head cold before grandkids arrived in two days!
 
6 weeks post op today! I had my last physical therapy session yesterday. I gave Bob a big hug. He has worked me through both hips. I will miss everyone, but so glad to be free. My 6 week check up is tomorrow. I expect it to go well. I can not believe how quick this recovery has gone! It is great to have hip restrictions officially lifted tomorrow. I have been stretching lightly today.....ahhhhhh! Good luck my fellow hippies!
 
Great appointment....Hip restrictions lifted and released from physical therapy!!!! Next appointment, next year! Feeling so positive!
I am signing off...unless I have a bump in the road...OR most importantly, I can finally get back in my kayak. Doctor said I still have months to work on that! Love and great healing to you all! I will still be around to offer encouragement!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Medfordart So happy for you that your recovery as gone so well and you got a good report on your check up. I have been keeping up on your thread and you are an inspiration to those of us who are still waiting. Thanks! :)
 
@Medfordart I just popped in to check on you, my goodness.. look at your progress! You have done very well.. congratulations!! :loveshwr:
 
Just checking in. Almost 3 months post op. This was the best decision ever!!!! I am feeling better than I have in 10 years. Yes, I still get stiff, and sometimes sore, but back to walking and doing better every day. I seem to already have more flexibility than I did after the first replacement. I am really hoping to be in my Kayak in just a few months. Hope this check in finds all of my friends doing well.
 
Just checking in. Almost 3 months post op. This was the best decision ever!!!! I am feeling better than I have in 10 years. Yes, I still get stiff, and sometimes sore, but back to walking and doing better every day. I seem to already have more flexibility than I did after the first replacement. I am really hoping to be in my Kayak in just a few months. Hope this check in finds all of my friends doing well.

Hi Medfordart

Just read your whole thread and must say I'm inspired !!! I'm struggling a bit now between hips 1 and 2 ...had LTHR Dec 15 (10 weeks ago ) went great feels great ... other side end stage as well and it's barking. Pain every day still on cane I long for the day I get my second new hip. It's so frustrating but when I read your experience it gives me hope. I have #2 April 27 9 weeks from today I can't wait ! Any advice / suggestions/ support you can give me would be well appreciated. # 2 we were originally going to do in fall but no way I could wait!!

Have a great day !!

Chuckster
 
My OS told me before surgery that the second hip would be different than the first....and that was true. Both hips had their problems, but different ones. Be patient. When walking, remember "heel, toe, heel toe..". @chuckster , I think you will feel great to have them both behind you. I strongly believe in PT , but moving when the hip is ready will get it going. Good luck on your journey. I will keep in touch.
 
congratulations @Medfordart ! What a great update and so very hopeful for those of us with another hip to go.
Lookout Kayak, your vacation is almost over!
 
My OS told me before surgery that the second hip would be different than the first....and that was true. Both hips had their problems, but different ones. Be patient. When walking, remember "heel, toe, heel toe..". @chuckster , I think you will feel great to have them both behind you. I strongly believe in PT , but moving when the hip is ready will get it going. Good luck on your journey. I will keep in touch.

Hi Medfordart just checking in.... I'm less than two weeks away can't wait .... how's it going with you ?!! Good I hope . I am obviously ready to get this done . My new hip continues to be excellent my old bad hip seems of course worse all the time. I'm having trouble with weight control and still praying I can drop a few lbs prior to surgery. It's hard being so damn sedentary tho. Also, I waver between cane and no cane in public I'm very self conscious about it for some reason! So, here we go had the blood testing done and now just gotta wait the 2 weeks out. Any last minute prep ideas ?! Ice , food etc?! Well thanks for your inspiration and encouragement would love to hear a pep talk from you and other double hippies it helps!! I'm hoping that recovering on a good hip will be helpful and make for a quick recovery. My goal is to walk into my sons high school graduation (June 16) pain free and cane free. Wish me luck !!!

Chuckster
 
I'm having trouble with weight control and still praying I can drop a few lbs prior to surgery.
This is really difficult if you are in pain and can't really move around much. Post both my THRs the pounds just dropped once I was able to move around more - and faster!
 
Hi @chuckster . I am excited for you! I am so thankful everyday for my new hips! The OS told me before surgery that I should not compare the two. That was such great advise, they were different. The pain was different for both and recovery was different also. I found it to be much easier the second time around...there is no unknown. You know what will happen, and you know you will heal and get better!
I am doing things now that I had not been able to do after my first replacement...such as climbing the stairs without using the railing to pull me up. My husband reminded me that after my first replacement, I was still living with a damaged hip.
Preparation....same as the first. I walked a lot to get ready, but two weeks out and the pain that you are having..forget about that. Do you have food etc? Reading material? Just stay as busy as you can the next two weeks.
I will be watching your recovery, do not hestitate to contact me. Better tomorrows ahead!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom