Guest viewing is limited

TKR 2nd new knee, not the same as the first

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Josephine - Thanks for the meds chart, that will be helpful. Do you think you needed more medication because you were doing more? I also have most of the feeling back on that side now, so I thought it might have to do with that.
I couldn't cut out the dog walk completely today as my husband had to be on the train to New York City very early this morning and didn't get back until 8:30 this evening. What I did do though was to cut down the time to two shorter walks of 15 minutes each and I took the Tramadol before going out for each of the walks. The results were much better and I had less pain after the walks and very little swelling. I also iced and elevated after each of the small walks and it was much less pain (a 4 instead of a 6 while walking).

@lavender - Holly, I did absolutely nothing else today around the house and had no PT either so I had time to take a nap this afternoon. :sleep: It helped to make up for my getting up so early and not being able to go back to sleep. The doctor's secretary (Mandy) called me back this afternoon so I have a new script for Tramadol coming in the mail and I have enough pills to last until it arrives, so I should be just fine. I also have hydrocodone (was taking that before switching to Tramadol) left from before, so in a pinch I could take that if I am really in pain. I do like the Tramadol better as it doesn't make me nauseous.

We discussed my concern about the knee cap pulling to the outside. She is always very kind and empathetic, I like her a lot. It was because of her scheduling that I was able to get my surgery so soon so she is one of my favorite people. My OS was in surgery today so she won't be talking to him until tomorrow and then get back to me.

I hope you have a wonderful Friday! I am looking forward to doing more of nothing tomorrow,except some reading. I borrowed a book from my friend's husband called The Encore Career Handbook. I need to look for a new job once I have healed but I don't want to go back to working in technology for a bank. This book is about figuring out how to make a living and a difference in the second half of life. Perhaps I will even figure out what I want to be when I grow up!

Linda
 
Hi Linda Great to hear that you are getting your refill. Sometimes I think the problem is that there are so many patients and wonder how much they are trying to handle with all of the calls. Wonderful to hear that you had a relaxing time and good to take a break. I know it must have felt great and so much easier on you knee. pain level and well being. a eel deserved break. I was impressed when I went to my appointment the other day. I mentioned to my husband how much the nurse did for me. Very patient and she took time to fill out a form for me that is usually the patients to fill in. I She took time with me asked questions as she was filling the form and then made sure that everything was correct. I found the experience quite nice and made me feel good. It must be hard for them calls from so many people some nice and maybe some not so nice. After having my first feeling more familiar with the process .

Know this time around it will be easier as now when I phone I will feel more comfortable and remembering that she must deal with lots of patients in a day. And refill requests are something she can not just send in on her own.
The place that my surgeon has his office is very relaxed, nurse is actually very nice and really like her to. Different when you can see each other in person and not just a phone call much more personal always liked personal contact better then the phone.

You are doing great have a very positive outlook and know you are going to make out amazing. Take time to relax and your process along this pathway is just going to get even better. I really enjoy receiving your posts. Wishing you all the best and as tomorrow is Friday the weekend is almost here and best wishes on whatever job you choose. Holly
 
Do you think you needed more medication because you were doing more?
Most definitely not! I am by nature the world's biggest sloth and during my recovery this didn't change at all. You might like to read the potted version of my recovery to see how little exercising I did! Knee recovery - UK style. Neither I nor my GP could fathom why I had this spike in pain levels but she did allow me to up two of my doses to 150mg every day which arrangement I made full use of for about 3 weeks. It's my belief that using the extra nipped whatever this was in the bud as after that is settled down and bothered me no more. :shrug: Hence my conviction that the way to manage pain is to treat it!
What I did do though was to cut down the time to two shorter walks of 15 minutes each and I took the Tramadol before going out for each of the walks. The results were much better and I had less pain after the walks and very little swelling. I also iced and elevated after each of the small walks and it was much less pain (a 4 instead of a 6 while walking).
Excellent! You have to remember that pain generates pain. Or put another way, it escalates and as it does, the meds take longer and longer to become effective. You might remember this from my chart

[Bonesmart.org] 2nd new knee, not the same as the first
 
Josephine, I have seen the chart above but I haven't read about your recovery. I will take a look this weekend. I have been selecting various threads and reading through them the past 4 weeks, especially those of the forum advisers. I am not sure you saw the part of my thread where I was talking about being fair (strawberry blonde and freckles) and left-handed, but my anesthesiologist told me people that have certain characteristics seem to process pain medications differently than others. It takes me longer to feel the results of medication and if I take your information above along with what the anesthesiologist told me, it's no wonder I am in pain doing certain things. I just have to plan out when I do my activity against when I am taking medications to be better prepared. No wonder I was feeling pain at a 6 or 7 after a long walk before, I wasn't properly medicated before I left on that walk!

My Rx arrived in the mail this morning (imagine, in less than 24 hours by mail!) and my OS again wrote the prescription for 80 pills. It is nice knowing the pills are there if I need that many.
 
I am not sure you saw the part of my thread where I was talking about being fair (strawberry blonde and freckles) and left-handed, but my anesthesiologist told me people that have certain characteristics seem to process pain medications differently than others
Actually no, I'm afraid I didn't but he's quite right. We are always on the alert for redheads for that very reason. They have a tendency to bleed more too! But was never something we couldn't handle.
No wonder I was feeling pain at a 6 or 7 after a long walk before, I wasn't properly medicated before I left on that walk!
:yes: :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom